The Student Room Group

Possible to study 2 degrees at the same time??

Okay, so this may make me sound very stupid or potentially arrogant but where better to ask than TSR...

So i'm on my gap year and i've applied to study History of Art at uni for 2010 which i'm completely passionate about.
However, recently i've been hearing a lot of stuff about Open University courses and how people can do them with a full-time job etc (therefore part-time studying). Although I want to study Art History primarily i've grown up in a very business orientated household and my mum is a business academic (to be very generalised!) I would also be very interested in combining my study of Art History with business.

I've been looking at a lot of stuff on the OU website and am really interested in doing their Business Studies degree.
So basically, I was wondering whether it is possible to start studying an OU degree in my gap year and continue studying it part-time while I do a full-time degree at another university? ....Or am I being too degree-greedy?

Any insight appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

DLCB
Okay, so this may make me sound very stupid or potentially arrogant but where better to ask than TSR...

So i'm on my gap year and i've applied to study History of Art at uni for 2010 which i'm completely passionate about.
However, recently i've been hearing a lot of stuff about Open University courses and how people can do them with a full-time job etc (therefore part-time studying). Although I want to study Art History primarily i've grown up in a very business orientated household and my mum is a business academic (to be very generalised!) I would also be very interested in combining my study of Art History with business.

I've been looking at a lot of stuff on the OU website and am really interested in doing their Business Studies degree.
So basically, I was wondering whether it is possible to start studying an OU degree in my gap year and continue studying it part-time while I do a full-time degree at another university? ....Or am I being too degree-greedy?

Any insight appreciated!

In terms of it being physically possible, I'm sure a capable, organised individual could. However, I don't know if this is actually allowed, especially if you end up going to Cambridge, as they don't allow any part time work along side your studies, never mind another degree.
Why not study business post grad instead?
Reply 3
davidcy147
I don't know if this is actually allowed, especially if you end up going to Cambridge, as they don't allow any part time work along side your studies, never mind another degree.

That's a good point... I forgot about that! Thanks :smile:

Also if I was ever lucky enough to get into Cambridge then I probably wouldn't even want to take on additional work. I guess i'm working on the assumption that I won't get into Cambridge!
DLCB
That's a good point... I forgot about that! Thanks :smile:

Also if I was ever lucky enough to get into Cambridge then I probably wouldn't even want to take on additional work. I guess i'm working on the assumption that I won't get into Cambridge!

Now now. Chin up! You've got to start being a bit more positive I think! :smile:
*Star*Guitar*

Might not be possible if she does go on to study History of Art at BA level.
Reply 6
*Star*Guitar*

Yeh that's also very true!
I'm probably trying to get a bit too ahead of myself in life... I want to have a career now!!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know anyone who has done something similar though?
with all the extra work it would probably jeopardise the chances of you getting a first.
and OU degrees aren't really held at the same level as degrees from normal universitys
DLCB
Yeh that's also very true!
I'm probably trying to get a bit too ahead of myself in life... I want to have a career now!!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know anyone who has done something similar though?

In terms of doing a postgraduate business degree?
davidcy147
Might not be possible if she does go on to study History of Art at BA level.

Generally any honours degree is accepted.
didgeridoo12uk
and OU degrees aren't held very highly

This is not true. Employers respect those who normally do them (ie people with other commitments like a full-time job) because it shows they are able to balance their workload.
*Star*Guitar*
Generally any honours degree is accepted.

Well, not exactly. It depends on the type of business MA that she would want to do. She certainly couldn't start an MA course in Economics, Finance or Accounting on the back of an History of Art BA. Perhaps maybe Management but I'm not sure.
davidcy147
Well, not exactly. It depends on the type of business MA that she would want to do. She certainly couldn't start an MA course in Economics, Finance or Accounting on the back of an History of Art BA. Perhaps maybe Management but I'm not sure.

Tbh even if the HoA BA was not a problem, the more difficult business MAs require around 3 years' experience in the field.
Reply 13
About the two degrees, what if your exam dates happen to be on similar days?

About the History or Business...There are good universities that offer combined BA Economics and History. Economics are a bit different but still have a lot of business modules.
*Star*Guitar*
Tbh even if the HoA BA was not a problem, the more difficult business MAs require around 3 years' experience in the field.

Only the MBA's really, and some MFin programmes (specifically Judge Business School), even then, to get work in the field, a business degree would be the most suited in the current economic climate. In all honesty, she would not have the quantitate background. For example, I want to go on to do Economics MA and I have to have had extensive teaching in Mathematics, Statistics and Econometrics.

She would need to do a diploma in some business subject to bring her up to that level before embarking on a business MA.
Reply 15
DLCB

Any insight appreciated!

I think you're absolutely bonkers for considering this. Sorry. Final year is a killer.
booraad
I think you're absolutely bonkers for considering this. Sorry. Final year is a killer.

I'm confused, is the OP considering doing the BA part-time or the OU thing part-time?

Anyway, I agree booraad, I'm in my final year of law and I don't have much time to sleep tbh, so I would no way be able to do another degree at the same time.
*Star*Guitar*
I'm confused, is the OP considering doing the BA part-time or the OU thing part-time?

Anyway, I agree booraad, I'm in my final year of law and I don't have much time to sleep tbh, so I would no way be able to do another degree at the same time.

I agree! The library is lonely enough while doing one degree! :biggrin:
*Star*Guitar*

OU part time, BA full time. But wouldn't it be expensive to do both?
Reply 19
*Star*Guitar*

The BA full-time and OU part-time... the OU part-time apparently takes about 4-5 years so once i finished normal uni (including my gap year) then i would only have a year left if i did it full-time.
If that makes any sense?!