Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    any of you get seriously bothered and frustrated by philosophical problems, and start acting "abnormal" because of it?

that's me.

ReputationRep:
    wow, im suprised at your comment, i think the problems and contradicions are what make philosphy so easy and fun to evaluate. i honestly enjoy philosphy and to an extent regret not choosing it as my degree subject. Philosphy is great!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When my maths teacher was at uni one of her friends was doing philosophy. The week before his final exams he tried to prove that he existed. He couldn't. He killed himself.

ReputationRep:
    wow, thats shocking, someone actually went that far, i think people need to realise the point of philosphy- that it's just a bunch of theories and theodices and there is no real sufficient evidience, and there is no right or wrong answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimps)
    wow, thats shocking, someone actually went that far, i think people need to realise the point of philosphy- that it's just a bunch of theories and theodices and there is no real sufficient evidience, and there is no right or wrong answer.
    I think that it's more likely to be something other than the philosophy which was the cause.

In any case it's stupid, if she doesn't exist then why would she feel the need to kill herself? What would killing herself achieve?
    Even if you don't exist why would you have reason to kill yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is totally a reason to get depressed. If philosophy can't depress you, nothing really should. Anyone that didn't have even a pang of fear when they realized the possibility of their inexistence or meaninglessness probably doesn't comprehend the depth of philosophy in the first place. If you ask me, the more anguish you feel over philosophical questions is the more in depth you feel their implications. :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Holy hell, I don't think I exist either! Guess its the old suicideroonie for moi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neitzhschezehcz)
    Philosophy is totally a reason to get depressed. If philosophy can't depress you, nothing really should. Anyone that didn't have even a pang of fear when they realized the possibility of their inexistence or meaninglessness probably doesn't comprehend the depth of philosophy in the first place. If you ask me, the more anguish you feel over philosophical questions is the more in depth you feel their implications. :tsr:
    i absolutely agree with that, and constantly wish that i was more "ignorant" philosophically so that i could at least be happier and enjoy my relatively well-off life. i feel that a lot of people don't understand the depth of philosophy, even if they claim to.

and don't get me wrong, the type of depression i talk about actually MAKES me want to do philosophy instead of simply "hate" it

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I agree with the above. Philosophy A-level helped me to deal with the kind of existential angst you get in the wee hours of the early morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candystrippa)
    and don't get me wrong, the type of depression i talk about actually MAKES me want to do philosophy instead of simply "hate" it
    Ditto. There was a point in my life that I felt really purposeless, it was existential angst then, only I didn't realise (I was about 13 years old), my education at school was really down-the-drain, I was making absolutely no effort whatsoever. And then we entered year 9, we started doing Ethics in RS with a new, decent teacher and all of a sudden it was like I'd found MY subject. It allowed me to make more sense of everything around me, and it was probably the only subject that really fired me up then. Without doubt philosophy and thinking philosophically got my life back on track, actually turned me into an academic achiever from a purposeless no-hoper.

It was from this that my interest in philosophy really got going, and definitely philosophy has become such an essential part of my life since. Having said that, depression is quite a common result of doing phil; I reckon my worldview really has changed as a result of it. In a positive as well as negative way. But there are some things that I wish I could accept just on the face of it - my religious belief in particular is something I've really struggled with in the past 2-3 years and although I have faith still, there's been points that I just wanted to give up my faith. Indeed, there are still some days I'm not sure whether I believe in God or not, and all that's just contributed to my confusion in the world and sense of despair on the bad days. And on top of this is not being able to prove your existence as referred to above - it really does compound your sense of not having any meaning whatsoever in the world. But then philosophy kicks back in again and reminds me that what really matters are the "language-games" and the sub-culture I live within - the impact I have on those that matter to me, and those who I matter to . So then I just re-discover life.....

So that's just philosophy for you. As long as you don't dwell too much, are always questioning and are always passionate, life's good. And even if it isn't, at least we have philosophy. It's everything; frustrating, brilliant, and beautiful!!

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

I think the more philosophy I do, the more "overwhelmed" I become by everything - life, the universe, how little we know. In some ways this is depressing, especially when you start to realise what little certainty you have, and more specific things that you find out - that morality isn't objective (and often is a matter of opinion), that life after death/the existence of teh soul is a bizarre concept, that the human may be reduced to a piece matter, etc. etc. (these things of course being challengable). Thinking of all this makes it all seem a bit depressing yes. A few years back I would have entertained any random "happy" belief about life and held that it may be true, but nowadays almost everything I like to hope for or believe in has to pass through my philosophical scrutiny! But that's the price to pay (and not too bad a one) for such an interest!!!

Also, I think the more philosophy I do, the more various concepts mean to me. Because of philosophy perhaps, now I feel too angered by suffering, the idea that so many people don't have freedom of thought, that such ridiculous ideas are held by people esteemed to be wise, etc. The more philosophy I do, the more I see is wrong with this world, and the more I realise that I am too helpless to do anything about it.

Oops, got carried away there!

ReputationRep:
    You should get depressed by philosophy. I never got depressed about Maths or Science, they made me bored. But to get properly depressed about something you have to care about it.
    Philosophy will make me think so hard my head hurts or get me walking up and down corridors muttering to myself every week trying to figure out whats wrong with Nozick or Strawson (so much is wrong with Kant and Russell you don't have to think about that )
    If I stopped getting depressed by philosophy I'd be bored of life. Philosophy is just wonder. To love philosophy is to be able to spend hours engrossed in something as 'simple' as a glass of water. If I couldn't do that anymore, if I couldn't get that feeling of wonder then I guess I'd just be bored of life. But until then I love getting depressed by philosophy.

'I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong'
    - Russell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    But to get properly depressed about something you have to care about it.
    I think you encapsulated everything this thread is about in one line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    I think you encapsulated everything this thread is about in one line.
    Dandy!

ReputationRep:
    and it bothers me the fact that SO many people seem to feel nothing about it. they take everything for granted. or they THINK they are talking philosophically when they're not. can you relate to this?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what Tom/Calvin said -

when I'm doing Philosophy, the world world is awesome and makes my brain melt with its complexity. So yeah; if you didn't engage, you wouldn't be challenged, but if you were never challenged you could never resolve anything.

Philosophy is pure love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candystrippa)
    they THINK they are talking philosophically when they're not.
    I'll say. What really frustrates me is when someone says "All you need is love" (or something silly like that), leaves it to that, and claims that it's philosophy. They've completely missed the point of philosophy (the argument, analysis etc etc).

P.S I agree - philosophy is pure love . Just the pleasure from discussion, analysis and argument is good enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    All you need IS love! Hehe. Do-doo-doodle-doo..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    I'll say. What really frustrates me is when someone says "All you need is love" (or something silly like that), leaves it to that, and claims that it's philosophy. They've completely missed the point of philosophy (the argument, analysis etc etc).

P.S I agree - philosophy is pure love . Just the pleasure from discussion, analysis and argument is good enough for me!
    I also hate when people say "Our philosophy is" or "my philosophy is" when they actually mean something completely different!!

ReputationRep:
    e.g. "my poorly-reasoned excuse is.."

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 8, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.