Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    I do not know but I would guess that how the currency of your money is to pound and dollar matters a lot
    they would come out at the same value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    they would come out at the same value
    this may sound stupid but how is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    this may sound stupid but how is that possible?
    if a us tuition fee is twice as much as a uk one, it will still cost twice as much in the local currency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    if a us tuition fee is twice as much as a uk one, it will still cost twice as much in the local currency
    yes it will still be twice as much but the value is not the same, i do not know maybe it is the english why I do not undeerstand....but for example I would get more dollars with 100 swedish crowns than pounds

ReputationRep:
    yes it will still be twice as much but the value is not the same, i do not know maybe it is the english why I do not undeerstand....but for example I would get more dollars with 100 swedish crowns than pounds
    yeah that's true, but then if you would change the pounds to dollars straight away (assuming no commission charges) you would get the same amount of dollars as you would have got had you changed kronas to dollars. it's a bit like hess's law in chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yeah that's true, but then if you would change the pounds to dollars straight away (assuming no commission charges) you would get the same amount of dollars as you would have got had you changed kronas to dollars. it's a bit like hess's law in chemistry.
    yes, that is true a bit complicated but worth it in the end
    hess law I don't know anything about, don't read chemistry but I beleive you are right

ReputationRep:
    You lucky *******s

It gets really expensive in the US. My sister was going to go to Washington Uni in St. Lois but a student there told her that she had over $25,000 in student loans after four years. Thats a lot of cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxxx)
    You lucky *******s

It gets really expensive in the US. My sister was going to go to Washington Uni in St. Lois but a student there told her that she had over $25,000 in student loans after four years. Thats a lot of cash.
    Get a job at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Get a job at the same time.
    that would seem to be the smart option now wouldn't it? then again earning a huge debt must be fun to some weird people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    that would seem to be the smart option now wouldn't it? then again earning a huge debt must be fun to some weird people
    *agrees

ReputationRep:
    US uni culture is very different to UK for most. In US it can take many years of classes to get a degree because you work, then study, work again and then go back to classes. You have to earn the money to pay as you go along. I guess it does make you value your education much more though.
    Regarding the high costs of education: For the very wealthy you can pay your way into an Ivy league uni as George W. Bush did at Harvard, doesn't matter how clever or dumb you are as long as you have the bucks.
    For the average person, the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) is the way in and also the means of scholarships/bursaries.
    Once we lose the protection of tutition fees which go up by the rate of average inflation, we will develp in exactly the same way as the US unis are. That is, "top-up" fees will, after time and when we have all got used to paying them, get more and more expensive. This will result in what happens now in US i.e. you are either extremely wealthy you can pay the fees without any probs or you can get scholarships if you're very clever and very poor. Th rest will go to mediocre, cheaper unis.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.