Turn on thread page Beta

Joy Division, anybody? watch

ReputationRep:
    Any fans of Joy Division?

I recently got the album "Closer" which is pretty good. Does anyone have any other albums and if so which would you say is your favourite (or song). 'Tis very hard to find any Joy Division faves, though they are an excellent band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deenirdee)
    Any fans of Joy Division?

I recently got the album "Closer" which is pretty good. Does anyone have any other albums and if so which would you say is your favourite (or song). 'Tis very hard to find any Joy Division faves, though they are an excellent band.
    Joy division are such an incredible band. Before i gave any of my recommendations, could you answer this, what genre of music are Joy Division?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I hate this question lol.

Well I it's hard because I find their sound isn't really defined in a certain genre I think. Generalised really hard I would say Indie Rock. With some punk overtunes.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I hate this question lol.

Well I it's hard because I find their sound isn't really defined in a certain genre I think. Generalised really hard I would say Indie Rock. With some punk overtunes.
    actually its Heavy Metal!!!!!! I couldnt believe it when i first heard it, but that is what Peter Hook (bassist of Joy Division and New Order) said to Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) during the time he was touring with the band. He said they were basically trying to make a primitive version of Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin. Today's bands (killers etc e.g usual crap) want to sound exactly like Joy division without understanding the heaviness of them. They are much copied but never rivaled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowie88)
    actually its Heavy Metal!!!!!! I couldnt believe it when i first heard it, but that is what Peter Hook (bassist of Joy Division and New Order) said to Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) during the time he was touring with the band. He said they were basically trying to make a primitive version of Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin.
    Oh my God that's madness!! I guess I haven't listened to enough of their songs to hear all their heaviness. Neverthless, they were always described to me as Post-Punk or Indie..

Today's bands (killers etc e.g usual crap) want to sound exactly like Joy division without understanding the heaviness of them. They are much copied but never rivaled.
    Yeah I totally agree. Have you heard about the band Interpol being compared to Joy Division? :confused: (Utter craziness, though I think Interpol are a good band.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree. Have you heard about the band Interpol being compared to Joy Division? :confused: (Utter craziness, though I think Interpol are a good band.)
    Why is that utter craziness? I thought it was pretty obvious that Paul Banks is a *total* Ian Curtis wannabe with his voice and stuff... but I agree that their actual music doesn't sound very similar.

Anyway, I prefer Unknown Pleasures to Closer I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree. Have you heard about the band Interpol being compared to Joy Division?
    That is terrible isnt it! Just cause the singer rips-off Ian Curtis' vocals style and the band rip-off the dress style of Joy Division they get compared to them. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    urgh Interpol. I'm sure they mean well but the resonance of their music is far too sleazy to compare with the deep, primal instincts of Joy Division's. Maybe it's that very raw element to their music which might be comparable to heavy metal, which thrives on all that pure rage, and intense volume.

I prefer 'Unknown Pleasures' to 'Closer' - probably because on the first album Ian Curtis is exploring his feelings and it's a fearful adventure to listen too, as opposed to him being quite resigned to his misery on the second, which as a consequence just smothers the listener.

ReputationRep:
    most ironically-named band ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    most ironically-named band ever.
    Weren't they named after something Nazi related? Makes them sound even more joyous I quite like them, although I must say I prefer New Order.

ReputationRep:
    "Love, love will tear us apart...again"

ReputationRep:
    Oops, looks like I temporairly turned the Joy Division thread into a "Let's **** off Interpol."

Anyway thanks for the recommendation of Unknown Pleasures.

ReputationRep:
    They were named after a Nazi kind of, prostitution racket, named the Joy Division. Whereby the soldiers raped all the girls before they were killed, or something similar to that.

Not joyous stuff really

ReputationRep:
    Anyone care to tell me how Ian Curtis died? And what is the best album by them, you think?... 'Cause the truth is I never have listened to Joy Division, but I do know about them from a Thursday song ("...we heard ian curtis kill himself again in your bed..." etc etc) and I suppose this is a good place to ask..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBinmexico)
    Anyone care to tell me how Ian Curtis died?
    He hanged himself, just before an big american tour.

ReputationRep:
    Joy division are such an incredible band. Before i gave any of my recommendations, could you answer this, what genre of music are Joy Division?

I hate it when music is catagorised plus it is hard to catagorise some music as deenirdee said.
    Love will tear us apart is an amazing song.

ReputationRep:
    noo AT will see this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Good stuff, though as others have said, Unknown Pleasures is a must. better than Closer, I think.

By the way, I do like Interpol as well. I don't think that they're trying to be Joy Division. At all.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the band got their name from some sort of Nazi segregation where all the most beautiful men and women were put together to make a beautiful race of people. (or at least so I was told)

But anyway, such a brilliant band.

You might wanna check out an album called Substance, which has some B-sides and other songs not on their actual studio albums.

Maybe even buy a New Order album, or download some of their material, another great band.

ReputationRep:
    hell yes joy division (and new order) rule

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.