Turn on thread page Beta

Joy Division, anybody? watch

ReputationRep:
    New Order at Glastonbury - bloody hell that was good. I wish I'd been there

ReputationRep:
    I was at the New Order gig last week at Hyde Park. I am both a NO and JD fan, but I think JD were the better band. The JD songs rose my hair.

I have all of JDs albums both on CD and vinyl, I also have all their singles on 12".

I know of a few people involved in the band, including Rob Gretton, and I have spoken to both Hooky and Stephen Morris.

I remember in Brighton last week I jokingly ask the DJ to play a Joy Divison song (like they would play it out of Manchester) to my surprise 10 minutes later Love Will Tear Us Apart came on.

My favourite JD album however is probably Unkown Pleasures, I do really like Closer but it is quite depressing.

Also if you're into JD get the New Order Movement album and listen NO Ceromny, all this basicaly sounds like Joy Divison.

For my best mates 21st birthday I made him a Joy Divison card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    I thought the band got their name from some sort of Nazi segregation where all the most beautiful men and women were put together to make a beautiful race of people. (or at least so I was told)

But anyway, such a brilliant band.

You might wanna check out an album called Substance, which has some B-sides and other songs not on their actual studio albums.

Maybe even buy a New Order album, or download some of their material, another great band.
    Yes this is true, their previous name was also Warsaw However they were just being ironic with the name, the band has no nazi connections at all and I can say that with 100% confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Love, love`will tear us apart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I was at the New Order gig last week at Hyde Park. I am both a NO and JD fan, but I think JD were the better band. The JD songs rose my hair.
    Woo, I was there too!

New Order were great live but the Joy Division songs got a much bigger reaction from the crowd than their own. Really enjoyed the gig, although wish they did World In Motion like they did at glasto hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I remember in Brighton last week I jokingly ask the DJ to play a Joy Divison song (like they would play it out of Manchester) to my surprise 10 minutes later Love Will Tear Us Apart came on.
    What? Course they'd play it outside of Manchester! Why wouldn't they?

Manc bands do get played in clubs down south too, and as much as other bands do in my experience. There's not a crazy musical embargo around the city...

All in all, this be my face... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)

Manc bands do get played in clubs down south too, and as much as other bands do in my experience. There's not a crazy musical embargo around the city...

Exactly. Joy Division aren't exactly a small local band that people haven't heard of outside of Manchester. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    Exactly. Joy Division aren't exactly a small local band that people haven't heard of outside of Manchester. :rolleyes:
    But if you go into manc clubs you you hear so much manc stuff you get the impression its just becuase its Manchester rather than good music

In terms of sales Joy Division are not that sucessful, though they have sold a lot of records.

Absolution - Thats what really surprised me as well, I could not believe the reaction Transmission got from the crowd, I knew everybody would go mad for LWTUA becuase they always do in clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)

Thats the difference you see, in Manchester there is, its quite common for somthing like The Smiths, Stone Roses, Joy Divison, Oasis, James and New Order to played back to back.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but depending on the kind of club night you go to, you get a lot of Manc indie in London clubs.

We're not as London-centric as your clubs are Manchester-centric, it would seem.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the London scene is a lot wider, the whole Manc indie scene is very famous, Joy Divison being the inventors of modern indie. I do believe that TWTUA was the worlds first *sucessful* indie record.

This is indie in terms of the indie sound.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.