Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Can you tell me about His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman).
    What would you rate it out of 10? (1 being the lowest)
    Is it worth reading and buying?
    What is the Synopsis in brief?
    What type of book readers would enjoy this book?
    Any other info?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    100 def worth buying and reading. anyone who likes good books would like the series really. im no good at doin brief synopsis' so i wont try - its just a really good series and you should read it!

ReputationRep:
    I'd rate it at 10 for kinda smart 8 - average 16 yr olds. I've loved the books from the second I read them. They have an alright story line.

Lyra meets her parents and her friend goes missing in the first one so she goes off to find him, meeting a couple of nice witches and a lot of nasty people doing horrid experiments which she puts a stop to, whilst discovering that her mother and father arn't who she thinks they are. The ending is quite sad, I shan't ruin it for you.

In the second one (sontinuing from the first) she finds out that sometime between the end of the first book and the beginning of this one, she's wandered into another world where the adults are hiding and children rein. She makes a new friend and his spiffy new knife, she comes across her mother again who wants her Compass type thing which was given to her in the first book and the knife possesed by Will (her new friend).

The third book is basically the conclusion og the three, introducing a new charactor who goes on a journey through the different worlds to find Will and Lyra and save them from the murderous church. The two youngsters end up in the world of the dead and set all of the souls there free.

ReputationRep:
    Don't both with a synopsis, just try it. Very very good books.

ReputationRep:
    great book. get it. I read the first one and am trying really hard to find and buy the other 2. i live in a 3rd world country, not many books here see.

ReputationRep:
    They're definately worth reading, they're not only good books but give a very different and fresh view on religion. I like them and I cried at the end of book 3, just to warn you.

ReputationRep:
    If you really like the books you can actually come and study at the real life jordan college - all the introductory hall.etc., stuff is identical to the hall at exeter! I was shocked when i first walked in there for interviews...wonderful books tho.
    (p.s. not only Pullman, but Tolkien also studied here too! )

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think Jordan college existed outside of Lyra's world...

ReputationRep:
    No - it does - Exeter College, Oxford

www.exeter.ox.ac.uk

Lovely place! really beautiful too (inspector morse died there too....)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but that's Exeter college...although it's the inspiration/analog whatever it's still not called Jordan college...

ReputationRep:
    no - but it is exactly the same...trust me! i live there....

ReputationRep:
    10/10. I second the fact that you should not read a synopsis. Just...don't. The whole fun of reading it is finding out what will happen - you will get hooked and not be able to put the book down. Knowing what happens just ruins it . Ahh the good times of reading the novel.

His Dark Materials also has a number of underlying meanings and literary context...Pullman is a highly skilled author and he uses a lot of symbolism and references to earlier texts. So as for whether it is worth buying I would say yes. It is the sort of novel you would read and re-read and learn something new/gain greater insight into it. I have read it multiple times, and each time I've looked at the novel in a new light....

Besides the novel is quite interesting from a social debate/philosophical context. Without giving much away, it throws light on an issue that has been around for ages and has been passionately and fervently been argued both sides. I'm sure you can infer what this is from the title of the novel anyway (His Dark Materials).

Enjoy . It's one of the best books/trilogies I have ever read. Better, in my opinion, than Lord of the Rings. (I'm sure someone will kill me for that).

ReputationRep:
    BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! 1000000/10! IT IS AMAZING!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    BUY IT! BUY IT NOW! 1000000/10! IT IS AMAZING!!
    Maybe, instead of writing an essay, I should've just done that. That seems a lot more effective. Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Really good book. Read the first book when I was 13, then the second and third when I was 19. Really weird feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Love the books. They've made me excited to read 'Paradise Lost' - so they must be good. xx

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic... I still re-read them every now and again and I'm 18 in a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    Maybe, instead of writing an essay, I should've just done that. That seems a lot more effective. Yes.
    Lol, I quite enjoyed reading your thoughts on the book. I just like to go about mthings in a more direct manner I suppose!!

ReputationRep:
    10. No question. If you can read between the lines, of course. It's on the children's shelf in a bookshop; it's been labelled as a children's book. It is only a children's book if it is read by a child... if it's read by an adult, it becomes something else entirely. You won't regret reading it.

mousey: I'm reading that now.. in my spare time, no less. Finding it just a lil' daunting though, as I've only just finished my english lit. gcse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently half way through the third book, loving it!!!!

I agree Reema, it's amazing from a philosophical point of view too.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.