More than half of the UK population doesn't accept climate change is man-made

Watch
cybergrad
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi people, I need your opinions on this. I am doing a PhD on energy generation and how it affects the environment. I would like to know what the youth of today thinks about this. I know there are similar posts on TSR but they are a few years old.
Dark-Myth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it is happening, however this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. My old chemistry teacher didn't believe in global warming because a volcanic eruption can cool down the planet about 2 degrees, and my physics teacher said that after 9/11 in america, the planes weren't allowed to fly and they discovered that temperature dropped in US. In general studies at my current school, my teacher pointed out that the hockey stick graph used by Al-Gore is wrong. The logarithms used by the guy he employed to produce that graph will produce that graph no matter what is put in.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Guess what - another quarter don't give a toss whether it is or not, myself included.
s33
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Because...it's not manmade and the government is just supporting any research that suggests otherwise?
Smeee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going to be honest and admit to being someone who struggles to care about climate change. By this I mean that I don't really take any action to try and "reduce my carbon footprint". This is probably down to my general apathy about much in life. I accept that climate change has been worsened by mankind but it's not exclusively caused by us. I don't think that's what your thread title means though? (Or is it?)

I also think that we have pretty much no chance of reversing the effects. The amount that carbon emissions would be need to cut to even just halt climate change is huge. And this world has no chance of achieving that - particularly with more and more developing economies appearing.

One reason I struggle to care about climate change is that, at this rate, overpopulation will get us first. By a long way. But we don't see that on the agenda of world summits. Wonder why...

Just my thoughts. I'm a History undergraduate so this isn't my area of expertise haha.

Incidentally, slightly off topic I know, but what are your thoughts on the future of energy generation in Britain? What's your opinion on sources?

I have a bit of an interest in this, initially started as my dad works in the industry. Personally I'm relieved that the government are realising that we're going to be in a massive mess unless we start building new nuclear power stations. I see nuclear power as the only viable provider of the majority of our energy.
Sapientia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Surely it's foolish to assert either way whether it's happening or not? You get these pseudo-intellectuals harping on about how climate change being a natural process and that 'scientists have proven that this happened in the past', when in reality that's still an uninformed person taking the word of someone else, just like those who are rampant believers.

I'm inclined to say it's beneficial to believe it, because what harm can it do to recycle, use greener energy sources and protect the environment either way?
danadd9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't accept the claim that climate change is completely down to human activity; a small fraction yes, but we're not wholly responsible.
omlette
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
People don't want to accept that it could be man-made because accepting that it's man-made means taking responsibility for preventing it and changing lifestyles etc. and we all know how averse people are the being forced to change their lifestyles.

There, just wrote your abstract for ya
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I believe climate change is inevitable, that being said..I believe humans simplly sped up the process...
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sapientia)
I'm inclined to say it's beneficial to believe it, because what harm can it do to recycle, use greener energy sources and protect the environment either way?
Quite simply, it costs a great deal of money.
indigoblue
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
So fallen forests, eradicated species, melted ice caps and natural disasters aren't a problem :rolleyes:
kw2012
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think there is some degree of global warming but I believe it has been merely accelerated by man not caused by man. I think its a bit arrogant to say that humans could have such a large impact on the planet.
indigoblue
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Quite simply, it costs a great deal of money.
This is the problem. Money. Consumption.

It isn't good to pump out all this pollution and fill miles of land with discarded plastic and so forth.

It's just common sense.
indigoblue
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kw2012)
I think there is some degree of global warming but I believe it has been merely accelerated by man not caused by man. I think its a bit arrogant to say that humans could have such a large impact on the planet.
Who else is going to regulate it? God?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by indigoblue)
This is the problem. Money. Consumption.
It's also the solution. :rolleyes:
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by indigoblue)
Who else is going to regulate it? God?
wilko1991
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fantastic line that. I think I might saying that to any climate change nutters. It sounds really cool.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think its a bit arrogant to say that humans could have such a large impact on the planet.
Indeed, cattle are far more important.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Climate change isn't man-made - it's a natural process being augmented by industrial societies.

Frankly, even the most optimistic, environmentally friendly scenario which envisages a world-wide attitude change come Copenhagen will still put us over the 2 degree celsius boundary for catastrophic climate change. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and be more environmentally friendly, though.
Xerophelistica
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is a huge amount of evidence supporting the theory that climate change is largely due to human actions. That doesn't mean it is DEFINITELY correct, and it doesn't mean you SHOULD believe it, but to not accept it means that, likewise, you shouldn't accept any other equally well proven scientific theory. In reality you DON'T do this - the reason you doubt climate change is probably due to a number of factors; ignorance to the evidence, lies from the media/big oil companies, reluctance to take responsibility, and a disdain for the continuous harping on of world leaders and scientists about climate change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads