Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK I am 18 and have my test this monday.

If I pass, I am contemplating buying a car. I know that sounds a bit stupid, but because I am going to uni in september I do not want to buy a car and have to pay 12 months insurance.

If I did buy one, what options do I have? Is it possible to get it insured in my dad's name (he is already insured on his car) and have me as a second driver until the end of september?

ReputationRep:
    yes. or you could insure it in your name and then ask to renegotiate when you go to university with a change of circumstance becuase if you arent driving at uni you can insure it as 3rd party fire and theft but no driving. bvut with onyl a couple of months i dont see your logic in buying a car in the first place - it would be wiser to save the money and use it at uni and go as a 2nd driver on one of your parents cars

ReputationRep:
    yeh im insured on my dads car as a "named driver" but i drive it just as much as him, only its about £1000 than it would be if it was my own insurance.
    u can get insured on it until september, theres loads of option, just call the insurance company.
    alternatively, some ppl think it is beneficial to get your own insurance going asap, coz then u can develop a no claims bonus.
    i would say get insured under ur dad tho!

ReputationRep:
    Because if I pass my test, I want a car while I can afford one. If I don't the money will dissapear at uni and it will take me years to get one. Id rather buy a decent one and leave it at home for three years.

Cant go on my parents car because I would never get to use it, so not paying for somethin I cant use at least half of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Dont start thinking about getting a car before you have even passed. If you end up failing, it can take another 3 months before you can retake it.
    Getting insured as a named driver is usually what new drivers do, but nearly all insurance companies have clued up to this, and now they quote as much as it would you to take your own insurance out.
    If you do pass, I would recommend doing pass plus if you plan to get insured at 17, because you wont be able to get a quote for ANY car, as a new male driver, for under £2k. I was once quoted £4500 for a 96' 1.0 Fiat Cinq, worth £350, lol.
    With pass plus, you will be able to get insure for about £1-1.5k without any problems for the "typical" new drivers cars(ie corsa).
    In regards to the insurance, admiral do a 10 month policy, which would mean that if you take it out now, it will finish just after you finish your first year of Uni, and they give you 1yr NCB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    Dont start thinking about getting a car before you have even passed. If you end up failing, it can take another 3 months before you can retake it.
    Getting insured as a named driver is usually what new drivers do, but nearly all insurance companies have clued up to this, and now they quote as much as it would you to take your own insurance out.
    If you do pass, I would recommend doing pass plus if you plan to get insured at 17, because you wont be able to get a quote for ANY car, as a new male driver, for under £2k. I was once quoted £4500 for a 96' 1.0 Fiat Cinq, worth £350, lol.
    With pass plus, you will be able to get insure for about £1-1.5k without any problems for the "typical" new drivers cars(ie corsa).
    In regards to the insurance, admiral do a 10 month policy, which would mean that if you take it out now, it will finish just after you finish your first year of Uni, and they give you 1yr NCB.
    My test is on monday of course I am going to think about gettin a car!

ReputationRep:
    you can get insurance under 2k at 17. becuase i have been lookig and aslong as you look at 1 litre or 1.2 litre you should be around 1K.

ReputationRep:
    just put the money in an isa and leave it till you graduate. trust me on this - you will get a better car if you save the money and get some interest on it - cars depreciate in value very rapidly.

best get your insurance to start with. itll be expensive, but cheaper in the long run

ReputationRep:
    If you get a car and you're not going to use it much, I think you should get 3rd party, fire & theft instead of shelling out more for comp. when (hopefully) you shouldn't need it before you go to uni. My insurance company did 6 month cover as well as 1 yr which worked out cheaper overall (it went down on the 2nd 6 month period) so you could try asking for that. But yeah, definitely do Pass Plus.

(Original post by Pirate Roberts)
    If you get a car and you're not going to use it much, I think you should get 3rd party, fire & theft instead of shelling out more for comp. when (hopefully) you shouldn't need it before you go to uni. My insurance company did 6 month cover as well as 1 yr which worked out cheaper overall (it went down on the 2nd 6 month period) so you could try asking for that. But yeah, definitely do Pass Plus.
    i only have TPFT on mine and SDP. gets used all the time. mainly for work...

ReputationRep:
    if you want to build up a no claims bonus........ make sure you are the main driver.

Then add your mum as a "named driver"....... for some reason it took 539quid off my insurance quote from elephant. And this way I get a no claims bonus built up.

Btw this is on a group 10 insurance car..... third party fire and theft costs me 869 and im 19 and been driving 6 months

ReputationRep:
    my car is insured in my fathers name, simply cause it was cheaper and i wouldn't afford it otherwise. but there are advantages with having it in your name (as mentioned earlier in this thread) just choose the one that suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    theoretically if you're folks drive the car less than you yet are insured as the main driver then its insurance fraud.

Personally its nuts leaving a car around for 3 years- depreciation, servicing, insurance etc (its not a good idea to leave a car sat still for that long really...) will all have to be taken into account.

If it was me i'd shove the money into an ISA.

ReputationRep:
    *coughs* Pass Plus *coughs*

'scuse me!

Firstly, concentrate on passing your test. Of course you're thinking about getting a car, being able to drive one is why people take the test after all!
    But imagine if you fluff up your test on Monday? Exactly. Anything could happen, so just worry about that about cars, insurance, expenses, etc.

As I, er, hinted at before, do pass plus. Insurance for new 17/18 year old drivers is extortionate, and it taking it does ease the burden a bit (my sister's insurance dropped by £100's). Like you mentioned, being insured as a 'second driver' would probably be the wisest option.

Not meaning to be really boring, but getting a second hand car would also reduce the expense, as long as you search for a good deal so you at least get a half decent car! Imagine if you did get a more expensive car that you really had your heart set on, but damaged/crashed it within months of passing? Exactly. It's only your first car, so you'd be less gutted if you, heaven forbid, damaged a less expensive car in the first place....

ReputationRep:
    pass plus gives you a years no claims with norwich union so which basically would cut me down in from 1200 to 600

ReputationRep:
    They only give you 30% off for PP now, instead of 50% that they use to give!

ReputationRep:
    oh, i forgot, try www.confused.com ... it checks lots of online insurers for the cheapest deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    just put the money in an isa and leave it till you graduate. trust me on this - you will get a better car if you save the money and get some interest on it - cars depreciate in value very rapidly.
    ^^The most sense in this thread so far.

If you're going to use the car at least once a week, then by all means go ahead. But if you're just going to buy it and put it into storage for 3 years, then it's really not worth it. Whether you drive it or not, it will need to be started regularly and will need just as much maintenance as a car in daily use.

ReputationRep:
    isa's are great ideas. however it may be that he (or she) only actually needs to store the car for the time that they are at uni in the first year becuase moving of campus may mean they want a car for 2nd year

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.