Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year undergraduate at a decent university, I have excellent GCSE & A Level grades (I realise that doesn't count for much), am well-spoken, polite and friendly etc etc and yet its bloody impossible to get a job! I mean no matter how hard I try I either get no responses or get rejected. Its incredibly frustrating, not least because I'm -£500 in my bank account right now.

*cries*
    *considers becoming wealthy masked stripper*

ReputationRep:
    Muffin...I know how you feel - if you really really want work i could reccomend the place i worked last summer - but it was HELL - anyway, after finishing my second year i am £1200 under in my account and need to fund 6 weeks of compulsory field work at the end of the summer....oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    Muffin...I know how you feel - if you really really want work i could reccomend the place i worked last summer - but it was HELL - anyway, after finishing my second year i am £1200 under in my account and need to fund 6 weeks of compulsory field work at the end of the summer....oh dear...
    Where did you work (I might as well ask)? Plus, I have a year abroad starting in august and I realised that my loan won't cover basic costs :eek: Its really getting me down right now

ReputationRep:
    It was a summer camp, catering for spoilt little european rich kids who wanted to learn to play football better and generally learn the fine art of abusing their servants...the only positive side was that the company i worked for was the only one where the assistants on the camp were not restricted in their drinking habits - hence the £1000 i earn over the 6 weeks, almost completely went to pay off my bar tab at the time...but, hey! its all fun....
    Where is your year abroad too? I have tried applying for lots of local bursaries through my old school to pay for my mapping, so you should see if theres something similar on offer where you are (sadly though i am not eligible for the majority as i live in a village not the main town where my school was located).

ReputationRep:
    Its to America and sadly as I'm studying English, there's few grants out there for me. I've looked at those camp jobs but they're all residential and involve working something like 12 hours a day (and when I worked this out with the weekly pay rate, it was below the minimum wage). I don't think I could hack that.

ReputationRep:
    Yea - hence me not reccomending it! You should still have a look at the grants...i do geology for f*cks sake - and there are no grants for that! many of them are just general money pots, which normally get doled out to teachers kids because without enquiring you just dont find out about them (my mum happens to work as a lab technician in a school, so thats how i found out!)
    Your best bet is to write to the head of your school.etc. and explain your situation and how this is compromising your ability to work flat out while you are over in the states, as you may have to get a job.etc., which may result in your degree not being of the same standard.
    Remember - when most people apply for grants to go travelling while in uni, their intentions are to spend 2 months in thailand and take as many different drugs in as large quantities as they cant find...since this is part of your degree and will instill a greater extent of learning upon you - they just cant complain!

p.s. its cool to find someone else from greenland - you ever been there?

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same, I feel like I wasted my whole life on stupid education and now probably gonna end up no where and get no job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find a job right now before I go to university. I have so many As at A levels/A*s at GCSE and yet it doesn't affect anything it seems!! Mainly because any potential job is not "academic" in the least so it doesn't matter what I got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I'm trying to find a job right now before I go to university. I have so many As at A levels/A*s at GCSE and yet it doesn't affect anything it seems!! Mainly because any potential job is not "academic" in the least so it doesn't matter what I got.
    I think the key to getting a part-time quick money earning job prior to university is to be as down to earth as possible with your application. Don't go over the top with how many A's and A*'s you have. It puts people off. Don't write on applications that you're going to university - they won't want to employ someone who is going away. In qualifications just write "10 GCSE's, A*C" or whatever. Just try not to sound arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Yea...all the jobs i've been offered when i get home are conditional - so that means if i actually want to go back to uni, they will take me to court for breach of contract and i wont get paid at all - pretty pointless really....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I think the key to getting a part-time quick money earning job prior to university is to be as down to earth as possible with your application. Don't go over the top with how many A's and A*'s you have. It puts people off. Don't write on applications that you're going to university - they won't want to employ someone who is going away. In qualifications just write "10 GCSE's, A*C" or whatever. Just try not to sound arrogant.
    I think it's silly not putting that I'll be going to university soon. Given that I only have 2-3 months, it won't do any good not to mention it. Having said that, I get calls every few days from people wanting to offer me jobs but they either aren't that good or they turn me down when they realise I only want to work temporarily! Nevermind. I'll keep trying.

I'm probably also being quite fussy in that I want one which pays around £7 an hour like my last job and doesn't involve me sitting there stuffing envelopes.

ReputationRep:
    From the middle of next week when my exams finish, I will begin to look for a part-time job. In my area there always seems to be a lot of bar and pub work going. I think I'll go for that type of thing, my mum suggested working in a factory. I was like "No. No way." - I really couldn't hack packing fish or screwing lids on toothpaste tubes for a few weeks. Preferably I will find something that allows me to be sociable and talk my head off!

ReputationRep:
    Just finding a part time job is so difficult, Ive been applying since christmas and theyve all been unsuccessful. Imagine how job hunting would be like after graduation :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's silly not putting that I'll be going to university soon. Given that I only have 2-3 months, it won't do any good not to mention it. Having said that, I get calls every few days from people wanting to offer me jobs but they either aren't that good or they turn me down when they realise I only want to work temporarily! Nevermind. I'll keep trying.

I'm probably also being quite fussy in that I want one which pays around £7 an hour like my last job and doesn't involve me sitting there stuffing envelopes.
    You don't go to Cambridge until October. You really don't have to tell them! Just quit the week before you go off to uni or something, that's what I'm gonna do! But...then again, as you meet people in your job and they get to know you, it'll be difficult to hide the uni part of your life, I would imagine. And you'll most probably want to discuss it anyway. So, anyway, I still wouldn't put it down...just apply for temporary jobs maybe.

£7.00 an hour - you'll be very lucky! I know jobs that pay around £6.00 an hour. It's working in a hospital, in catering. You should try telephoning your local hospital about it if that sort of thing appeals to you. I did it during my AS year on saturday and sunday mornings, it basically involves going around wards and collecting menu choices and all that kind of stuff. Not the nicest of jobs but reasonable pay.

ReputationRep:
    What you should do is just take the job that you will be able to tolerate - minimum wage is better than no wage, and just let the boss know your going off to uni around a certain time, so you can give him the option from the start to turn you down. Therefore, if he needs you for longer than that he turns you down and you keep on looking - its better off having a job that doesn't pay brilliantly than no job at all - and theres little chance you will get one at £7 an hour if your working short-term.

ReputationRep:
    Geology is slightly more scientifically promising than English though and as far as I know, my old school doesn't offer bursuries other than for reasons of religious propaganda.
    Haha, unfortunately I'm not from Greenland but I do like the flag and I was intrigued to find when I was on a flight to the US, there's a settlement there called Godthab. I thought there were just little fishing villages and igloos there!

ReputationRep:
    No...theres a massive US army base aswell called thule, which the locals are currently trying to get removed...lovely place and the locals are wonderful - i did some climbing in the central nunataks last year....wonderful (hence all the debt now...)

ReputationRep:
    and theres little chance you will get one at £7 an hour if your working short-term.
    One of the job offers I got the other day was £6.50 an hour but i declined it lol.

ReputationRep:
    One of the job offers I got the other day was £6.50 an hour but i declined it lol.
    you idiot!

ReputationRep:
    you idiot!

Well in my defence, I had also applied for lots of other jobs and I didn't like her "tell me now or it's going to someone else" tone.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.