The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wish i was revising mod 5 and 6 now..but bloody music tomorrow is forcing me to do otherwise!

I am really worring about 5 & 6, as i don't think my modu 4 went well at all... i just hope that eveyone who took the exam found it overly hard, so AQA lower the grade boundries!
Reply 21
o-e-s-j
does anyone have any suggetions as to what synoptic stuff might come up. i cant be bothered revising all of mods 1,2,3+4 again (as well as 5 obviously).
thanks

well buffers as it wasnt in mod 4
Reply 22
I've not had time to start yet :frown: I wish I did but its economics and business 2moz and that has been a killer! So chem is going 2 be crammed 2moz afternoon! arghh!
Reply 23
oh and buffers was on mod 4 in january, so I'm not sure about that one
Reply 24
bond angles seem to be in a lot of past mod 5 papers. thats a pretty simple way to get marks if you learn that properly. I am dreading any snoptic bits from mod4 I hates all of it, but am so worried because thats the largest module! *reminder to self revise tests* it always asks for test doesn't it in multiple choice. I am trying to guess wht easy bits will be in the paper and make sure i know them to at least get soem marks. if they have a big long mechanism question with loads of organic chemistry i am in big trouble. not too hot on colour changes either but i am getting better.
I am naff on TM colours and their related complexes! Bloody complex complexes...*mumble witter moan....*

Onwards!
Reply 26
mmm ive got econ and business tomorrow...but i feel too guilty to revise for it, should be doing chem instead!!

i agree colours for TM are beeeaches
Reply 27
There is usually something on pv=nrt that comes up in the mod 6.
Reply 28
jimbobismad
Ah, that teacher sounds similar to my bad teacher! He is soooo inconsistent, and expected us to learn the entire of periodicity by ourselves! He never looked at the syllabus, so there were gaps every where, and 'forgot' to teach us some of the test tude reactions!
(Hence why i had a tutor @ £24 and hour!! Defo worth it!)

Lol what is it with chemistry teachers being rubbish?! I've also had a teacher 4 the last two years that basically mumbles the stuff to himself and expects us to learn it! I think module 5 is sooooooo hard! I hate the thermodynamics stuff, I don't get it at all and do we actually have to know all the transition metal complex colours?! Thats horrible! and i need an A, dammit.
We do indeed need to know the colours of TM complexes!

Ideally, you sould know the colours of each oxidation state of a TM ion, then from that know the colour changes when different ligands are used. (i.e. test tube reactions).

Not very plesant!

Right..i'm off to do a music A-level..wish me luck...i'll flaming need it!
J.
xx
I hate chemistry too. *cry*

I also need an A for this exam.

And yeah, we do need to know the TM metal complex colours. This is a table a friend and I made of the stuff we needed to know. I'm 99% sure it's correct.
tables a gud idea but Fe(H20)6 3+ is plae violet not orange/yellow. and cr(H20)6 3+ is ruby not blue/green. We also need to know all the different ones where they form the hydroxides and carbonates :frown: Make sure you learn Co(NH3)6 2+ is straw, and goes dark brown on oxidation that seems to be a favourite.
Reply 32
Don't forget how to calculate equilibrium constants! Oh, and they seem to love revisiting all that halide crap from module 2 (what is soluble in what etc.).

Ben
Reply 33
I have Fe(h20)6 3+ as yellow/orange and Cr(h20)6 3+ as green too!!!!!

Think for the latter they accept either ruby or green as Cr3+ is green, but the actual complex cr(h20)6 3+ is ruby.
Fe(H20)3+ is meant to appear as violet, but appears yellow due to hydrolysis (apparently).

As it does say, the solid Cr3+ is ruby, but in appears dull red/blue in solution. It does sometimes appear green too. Weird. The Mark schemes do seem to be pretty accepting of the way the different colours appear, so I'm sure it will be fine as it is.
Reply 35
I think I am just going to go in and guess the colour if it asks us!!!

I need to revise the other things such as the synoptic!!! at least its multiple choice!!! :smile:
Reply 36
They always seem keen on tests to i made a nice table full of tests, if anyone wants it. Also got a nice flow diagram of coloured complexes i will scan in..
Reply 37
Did you see last years paper, it had four pages of essay questions!
One was an acid base (9mks) Stereoisomers (6mks) electrophiles (9mks) Kp (7mks) thermodynamics (8mks) various experiments (15 mks) and a few 1 mk questions throw in. This is the part I am not looking foward to !!!
Reply 38
do polymers come up on CHM5? I'm not sure whether or not to revise the whole chunk on condensation polymers, Nylon-6,6, PET, etc
Reply 39
I hate chemistry module 5 transition metals, it's like the stupidest thing in the world. What colour turns to what colour. Btw, is Gibbs Free Energy Module 4 or 5???

Latest