Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1987)
    Will be -

Loan and grant
    Part time job
    Overdraft

Don't have any savings! Any money I earn this summer will go on having fun at Leeds festival woo! Mum's been left poor by 18 years of me and siblings so she can't spare a dime.

How much do you more sensible people actually have saved?
    2300€, but that's only 1500 pounds - and by my calculations that will be 0 when i've finished first year.
    Oh well, no point in worrying about all this now, just see how things work out, I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Ha. I have no savings. I do have a trust fund thingy, but will only be able to use the money when I'm 21!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    while earning money? I mean that I can't have a holiday because I'll be busy earning money for the next year
    How about getting a summer placement aboard?

There are many good and trustworthy sites which would help you locate a position. I believe there is a charity company which tours the UK in the Summer Holiday and pays £250 a week + bonuses.

ReputationRep:
    Think i'll just use daddy's money, ta tar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    How about getting a summer placement aboard?

There are many good and trustworthy sites which would help you locate a position. I believe there is a charity company which tours the UK in the Summer Holiday and pays £250 a week + bonuses.
    wow, never thought of that, lol, didn't know of anything like that! thanks musical gal! hope i can find something fun like that next summer

ReputationRep:
    wow, never thought of that, lol, didn't know of anything like that! thanks musical gal! hope i can find something fun like that next summer
    No problem. Do a search for Summer Jobs or Summer Placements

You should come up with sites like this one http://www.e4s.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    For 2005 my primary sources of 'income' will be:

Student Loan
    Bursary
    Savings (mostly from work this summer)
    Part time work
    Overdraft (if needed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    For 2005 my primary sources of 'income' will be:

Student Loan
    Bursary
    Savings
    Part time work
    Overdraft (if needed)

Ditto. Parents don't come into it. I give my mum money not the other way round. My savings are from my gap year although if i don't get a job this year i'm buggered.

ReputationRep:
    I have already done one degree, and even though I stayed at home I managed to spend all my studnet loan, all my wages from part time job and all of the £1250 overdraft.

Im going back to do another degree now and so will be even more in debt. Im thinking of moving into halls. To fund this i will need 2nd student loan, 2nd student overdraft, money from part time job and my savings (hoping to have £1200 saved for the fees!!).

I'm going to be in so much debt but I'm trying not to think about it too much. The student loan payments will sort themselves out at some point. Thankfully Ive convinced mt current student bank account to allow my overdraft to stay interest free as Im going back to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia22)
    I have already done one degree, and even though I stayed at home I managed to spend all my studnet loan, all my wages from part time job and all of the £1250 overdraft.
    I'm on my thrid degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia22)

Im going back to do another degree now and so will be even more in debt. Im thinking of moving into halls. To fund this i will need 2nd student loan, 2nd student overdraft, money from part time job and my savings (hoping to have £1200 saved for the fees!!).

I'm going to be in so much debt but I'm trying not to think about it too much. The student loan payments will sort themselves out at some point. Thankfully Ive convinced mt current student bank account to allow my overdraft to stay interest free as Im going back to uni.
    don't you have to pay back the overdraft before they start charging interest? :confused: (ie how did you get them to agree to no interest?)

ReputationRep:
    I think quite a few banks offer interest-free overdraft to home students, Adarah. (Lucky sods! )

ReputationRep:
    Parents.

Mum and dad.

Mother and father.

ReputationRep:
    That was a waste of space!

ReputationRep:
    don't you have to pay back the overdraft before they start charging interest? :confused: (ie how did you get them to agree to no interest?)
    The overdraft is free for students and then once you graduate you usually get a couple of years interest free as well - HSBC said that I will get 2 years free after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    Ok, so we get all the general info about what money you can get access to, but in what order do you spend the various sources?

Heres my list of possible money sources (please add to them - sensibly!)

Savings
    Student Loan
    Overdraft
    Asking parents

Please put them in order of which ones to spend first - last

Thanks!
    Savings,Parents, Loan, Overdraft. If you can afford not to go into your overdraft (and most people could if they actually tried to live within their means) then dont. If you spend the summer before university working full time you should have two grand or more saved up which combined with the minimum loan and parental contributions would be enough to allow you to get by - albeit living a somewhat spartan lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    The overdraft is free for students and then once you graduate you usually get a couple of years interest free as well - HSBC said that I will get 2 years free after graduation.
    That depends on what you mean by 'free' - there is some free overdraft for a period of time after you graduate, but they reduce it - usually by £500 - a year, so if your free overdraft is £2000 when you graduate, the year after it will be £1500 (and if you're still using it you pay interest on the other £500), the year after that it will be... and so on...

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but it helps to bring it down over time - you can't get used to living with a free £2000 overdraft for the rest of your life

ReputationRep:
    ah, thanks, think I understand overdraft a bit better now

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.