Turn on thread page Beta

A2 English Language ENA6 Exam - language and debates. Help?? anyone?!!?! watch

ReputationRep:
    help. i dont know what stuff is relevant to revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobDukesteez)
    help. i dont know what stuff is relevant to revise.
    join the club.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    i think u can revise, representation, politeness, political correctness, prescriptivism/descriptivism, umm thats what i can remeber from past questions!

If you go to the aqa website then u can look at the past papers, and the mark schemes are very helpful! Iv made up words to help me remeber what to include when writing the methodology.
    C onceptualise
    A ddress language change
    V alidity
    E valuate
    D ata collection

D emand charateristics
    O bservers paradox
    P urpose
    E thical issues

ReputationRep:
    I also need help revising the terminology when answering the question "Write three linguistic features".

so far on the past papers I got, initialism (SMS) acronym (WAP) compounding (Voicemail) clipping (Email) and neologisms (creating a new word)

marked terms (manager/ess) deafault assumptions (that a nurse is a female) generic ("Each person must bring his lunch" instead of saying "Each person should bring their lunch")
    They are some of the examples I came up with of language features.

ReputationRep:
    cool,sounds like good advice!

was wondering if you could explain the

C onceptualise
    A ddress language change
    V alidity
    E valuate
    D ata collection

D emand charateristics
    O bservers paradox
    P urpose
    E thical issues

in context of the exam and explain what you mean by them??

ReputationRep:
    You can revise the techniques of broadsheet article, editorial, tabloid article, radio script, speech. Is that all? Think so, but one of those will come up, so knowing the rules of each form will help you when you have to write it.

Also i found just making a list of what is in the exam, and writing what i will need to write is helpful. Such as for the methodology, i wrote on the list that i needed to include; who is the sample, what i want to investigate, how i will collect the data, what i could do as further research, and something else which i can't remember. It is only a 5 mark question, so you make 5 or 6 points.

Anyone else with some ideas?

ReputationRep:
    if anyone could supply me with a list of things i should consider and include for each question in exam context i would be eternally greatful

ReputationRep:
    Question 1a is a sort of feature spotting or "what can you learn from this?" question so I can't reaslly give you any points there

1b is the "what methodology?" one, which you need to mention ethical issues and the observer's paradox, that your sample of people will be representative and anything else relevant you can think of

1c is the analysis, which, like any, you should include anything significant, particularly modal verbs, pronouns and sentence structure. Make sure you hit all the frameworks - something about the words and their connotations, something about the sentence length/type, any relevant structure points and so on.

2a is the "write your own" question. Not much to advise here, just make sure it's relevant to the audience we're given and that it's not too much like an essay. All the info you'll need for this is on the paper, so don't panic if you don't know the topic that well

2b is like the commentary for Unit 2 - Just pick out I think 3 things from your piece and why you did it. Make sure you give it its jargon name like "I used the second person possesive pronoun because............"

I hope this is useful, it has helped me revise!

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do in the exam then? Personally, i HATED it, but then acquisition really pisses me off.

We've been spending months practicing writing radio shows and editorials, then when the exam comes, we have to write an article for a parenting magazine! Jeeeeeeez.

ReputationRep:
    meh - lang acquisition was really well taught last year at my college so it was all fine. to be honest, however, everything you needed to know was in the sources and that should have jogged a bit more or memoriy.

the first half was fine. it was a really good text to analyse and i basically agreed with all the views and it's implications so i used bits of stuff i remember to back her up and agree.

didnt' really read much of the outher extract sources because i skimmed through first of all to get teh general just and then realised they weren't telling me anything i didn't already know. so i just decided to use the time writing instead and save about 20 minutes. i wrote a long parenting article thing, discussing input, cognitive, criticla learning period, behaviourism and innateness and it's imlications. evaluation of them wasn't too good.

and in the final commentary bit i jut wrote about my use of modal auxillaries expressin obligation of parents, imperative to command them and create sense of authority, and then somethign about the positive connotations of words to describe the language development process.

overall, like everybody at my college, it seemed like a really good exam (for an exam!)

hope all went well for others

ReputationRep:
    I thought that exam went ok. It was better than the one in january (but this time i actually spent an hour on sec B instead of 25 mins!) I was made up we didn't have to do an editorial. Lets hope we see some good results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    How did everyone do in the exam then? Personally, i HATED it, but then acquisition really pisses me off.

We've been spending months practicing writing radio shows and editorials, then when the exam comes, we have to write an article for a parenting magazine! Jeeeeeeez.
    We studied those too. But writing the article was easy, as it was the same style as the one we had to anaylse. That was lucky actually, really meant that you just followed those techniques and that tenor etc.

I'm happy with that. Now i just have to do the ENA4 on Wednesday, and i'll be finished!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.