The Student Room Group
rpan161
If x |---> 2x + 6

What does it mean when they ask me to find the set of all x (that is an element of) R (real numbers), that 2x + 6 = f(0)

Does it just want me to solve the equation 2x + 6 = 0?
How would i find ''the set of all x in R''? What does that bit mean?

Has the function f(x) been specifically defined anywhere ? I'm guessiong that it may just be f(x)=2x+6 but I'd like to check.

As for ''the set of all x in R'', this just means all possible real values of x. Have you encountered complex numbers yet?
Reply 2
Sorry, forgot to add

f:R --> R given by x |---> 2x + 6
Reply 3
anyone help me? most appreciated :smile:
Reply 4
First of all, what's f(0)? This is all a matter of notation. A function can be written as the mapping:

-1 ---> f(-1)
0 --- > f(0)
0.125 ---> f(0.125)
x ----> f(x)

In other words, f(x) is defined to be whatever thing the function maps the element x to. Well here, you have

0 ----> 2*0 + 6

So conclude f(0) = 2*0 + 6 = 6.
Reply 5
Thanks, so the question is:

the set of all x (that is an element of) R (real numbers), that 2x + 6 = f(0)

So is the answer just 6? Would i have to write it out properly in some kind of set language/notation? If so, how?

most appreciated, really helpful!
Reply 6
Well, f(0) is 6, so you try to find all real numbers x such that 2x + 6 = 6. Well, there's only one real number that satisfies this, and it's not 6.
Reply 7
Sorry, it was a typo earlier, the answer is just 0? how would i write it out? Just 0? or is there some kind of proper set notation/language.
Reply 8
The answer is just 0? How would i write it out? Just 0? Or some kind of proper set notation?

Lets say another question has 2 answers, say -5 and 5, so how would i write that out? Just -5,5? Or is there some kind of set notation?

Latest