Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Pppl I do not know what has just happened there is this basic moles question which has just gone out of my mind!!!!!!

S + 02-----------> s02

what mass of S02 will be formed by reacting Oxygen with 64.2 (g) of S

S 02 S02
    (32.1) + (32) -----------> (64.1) so multiply by 2

64.2 + 64 ----------- 128.2

shudnt that be the answer but I know Im missing out a step!!!!!!! This iis getting to me as I know its basic all the organic mechanisms revision has taken over!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got the same as you :rolleyes:

It seems right to me lol. But i wouldn't trust my chemistry calculations lol!

ReputationRep:
    lol thanx still for trying but Im sure Im missing a step.....as booklet sez 96.2 i have muddled around the numbers to get that but that still doesnt make any sense....bladdy annoyed now lol

ReputationRep:
    I think you did it a different way, but our answers are close enough for me to think it's ok..

Here's how I did it..

Moles S = 64.2 / 32 = 2.00625

From equation, SO2 is 1:1, therefore moles SO2 =2.00625

Mass SO2 = 2.00625 * (32 + 16 + 16) = 128.4 g

ReputationRep:
    yeh I think it is this but the answer booklet sez 96.2?????

ReputationRep:
    Its actually really simple...you divide 64.2 by the Ar of sulphur to give the number of moles present. Since there is only the one atom of sulphur in SO2, this means that this will also be the number of moles of SO2 you produce.
    Therefore, simply multiply the number of moles present by the Mr of SO2 and bingo - all yours.
    But the answer you get is still right...thats just a simpler and easier to rationalise method you can use...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond007)
    yeh I think it is this but the answer booklet sez 96.2?????
    96.2 g? Is the question asked exactly as you wrote it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond007)
    lol thanx still for trying but Im sure Im missing a step.....as booklet sez 96.2 i have muddled around the numbers to get that but that still doesnt make any sense....bladdy annoyed now lol
    i swear there must be a mistake in booklet cos i get 128.4g aswell

check that ur looking up the answer for the right qn cos usually i look up the answer for the rong qn and panic lol

ReputationRep:
    yep....

first part just asked how many moles of o2 or s would be required to make 0.5 S02 then second Q asked this question..lol thats why I am confused..and very tired after organic revision

ReputationRep:
    It's in the Letts book..AS...thanx ppl anyway for helpin' and to kinda calm me down cuz I was p***ed off as I was like how the hell can I not do some basic calculations!!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.