How do you define Western society?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
rajandkwameali
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
are western countries more tolerant than other places? is this the definition of Western society?
Inflation
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
Where sex sells.
Xica Da Silva
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'm probably wrong but when I personally think 'western' I think English and USA culture.
LaughingBro
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Illusion of democracy.
Installation
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'd just say 'Liberal' especially in comparison with everyone else, which is good. Though there's still a shedload of difference between the various Western countries anyway, so a bit of a moot point.
wilson_smith
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Not at all, i'd typify it by materialism and self-indulgence, capitalism, neoconservatist foreign policy, a hypocritcal delusion that we have a democracy and a general feeling that we're infallible.
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
capitalist, materialistic and with some sort idea that a democracy is in place.
angelrose
Report 12 years ago
Lots of people have been noticing this time around, hearing Muslim protests that prejudice and bigotry are destroying what is supposed to be a tolerant society. But - like with climate change - far too many people have not had the eyes to see the obvious.
Fusilero
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I suppose... Europe and North America.
BlackGoose
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wilson_smith)
capitalism
You are unbelievably stupid if you think that countries with a national health service, free education, a minimum wage, maternity leave and work place anti-discrimination laws are practising capitalism.

neoconservatist foreign policy.
That doesn't apply to all Western countries.

hypocritcal delusion that we have a democracy
No one is under the allusion that we have a perfect democratic system in any of the Western countries. We do, however, have the closest thing to democracy.

a general feeling that we're infallible.
On what basis do you come to this conclusion? I would argue that that statement is far more representative of the 'Muslim world' than it is of the Western world.
_xAnonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
liberal, powerful, secular, privileged.
there's too much love
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
The general consensus appears to be:
Liberal democracies.
however it's very questionable if we live in a democracy.
It's also very questionable to say we're all that liberal.
Compared to many countries we seem to be the closest in general to these concepts. Compared to the concepts we appear to be far away from them.
BlackGoose
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by there's too much love)
xxx
You are right, we are not a perfect democracy and we are not perfectly liberal. What is important, however, is that we here in the Western world generally embrace these ideals and seek to attain them, and that is what separates us from the non-Western world.

For instance, when you compare our democratic and liberal credentials to countries such as such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, China and Russia, we are far ahead of them; however, these societies, by in large, do not view democracy, freedom and tolerance as ideals that they wish to implement. For this reason, we should categorise a country as Western or non-Western with reference, not necessarily on the basis of their record, but their ideals and ambitions.
there's too much love
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BlackGoose)
You are right, we are not a perfect democracy and we are not perfectly liberal. What is important, however, is that we here in the Western world generally embrace these ideals and seek to attain them, and that is what separates us from the non-Western world.

For instance, when you compare our democratic and liberal credentials to countries such as such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, China and Russia, we are far ahead of them; however, these societies, by in large, do not view democracy, freedom and tolerance as ideals that they wish to implement. For this reason, we should categorise a country as Western or non-Western with reference, not necessarily on the basis of their record, but their ideals and ambitions.
Most people don't appear to want that much change towards these ideals. Most people don't seem to give a ****.
BlackGoose
Report 12 years ago
Most people don't appear to want that much change towards these ideals. Most people don't seem to give a ****.
Do you mean to say that most people here in the Western world do not desire further liberty and democracy?
there's too much love
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BlackGoose)
Do you mean that most people here in the Western world do not want to strive to achieve greater democracy and liberty?
Most people seem to be like that yes, they believe we've got enough liberty and democracy for them so why bother for others.
At least that I've come across. Perhaps (and I hope this is the case) I'm wrong.
clarehistory101
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Not at all, i'd typify it by materialism and self-indulgence, capitalism, neoconservatist foreign policy, a hypocritcal delusion that we have a democracy and a general feeling that we're infallible.
I concur. Vacuus of passion, a pressing desire for instant gratification, and complete ideological decline!
Orihime
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Erm, Western societies, eh? Where selfishness, ignorance, and sex meet.
BlackGoose
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Orihime)
ignorance
How is Western civilisation ignorant? Remember that the computer you are using is a product of the Western world.

(Original post by Orihime)
sex meet.
Yeah because only Westerners have sex.
BlackGoose
Report 12 years ago
Most people seem to be like that yes, they believe we've got enough liberty and democracy for them so why bother for others.
I agree that there is a level of complacency e.g. with the shocking levels of support for illiberal laws such as the smoking ban and longer detention periods. Though, by in large, I think there is still deep respect for notions such as democracy and liberty.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (51)
12.2%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.91%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (106)
25.36%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (38)
9.09%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (200)
47.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.59%

Watched Threads