Turn on thread page Beta

Revitalising conservatives watch

ReputationRep:
    i believe it to be fact that conservatives need to start pulling out the big guns or they will loose all credibility that they have been hanging onto to stand a chance in the next election.
    I also believe that they have entirely failed to gain the vote of a new generation and are even loosing the "mondeo man" vote to the labour party.

my question is this: how would you suggest the tories make changes to make theirs a more sucessful party in the next election?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glicker)
    i believe it to be fact that conservatives need to start pulling out the big guns or they will loose all credibility that they have been hanging onto to stand a chance in the next election.
    I also believe that they have entirely failed to gain the vote of a new generation and are even loosing the "mondeo man" vote to the labour party.

my question is this: how would you suggest the tories make changes to make theirs a more sucessful party in the next election?
    Do whatever Rupert Murdoch tells them to do.

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever Rupert Murdoch tells them to do.
    True.

Their true problem (and I'm sure they know it) is that New Labour have simply taken over much of their ground.

ReputationRep:
    Classical Liberalism

ReputationRep:
    1) Elect David Davis
    2) Emphasise freedom - yes to smoking in public places, no id cards, yes to gay marriage etc
    3) Low taxes and crush one nation conservatism

ReputationRep:
    I think the first thing to do would be to extinguish this gut reaction half the nation seems to have that conservatives = evil racists....its the same sort of uninformed racism parties like the BNP operate against the religious minorities in this country, yet it has become an "acceptable" common belief amongst many

ReputationRep:
    THERESA MAY for leader! With Boris Johnson as her home secretary...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    yes to smoking in public places
    Ah i'm not too sure about that one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekeeper_)
    When i say public i really mean places where the public goes e.g restaurants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    THERESA MAY for leader! With Boris Johnson as her home secretary...
    I think boris on his own would do far better...being that theresa may's main point of regard is that she wears posh shoes....atleast thats the main reason people know her!
    Maybe enlist rik mayall to mould an alan beresford b'stard figure - the most popular political tv programme ever, afterall - sort of an Alan Clark for our era!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]
    Maybe enlist rik mayall to mould an alan beresford b'stard figure - the most popular political tv programme ever, afterall - sort of an Alan Clark for our era[/QUOTE
    I wonder who would be Piers from the party.....

ReputationRep:
    haha - possibly boris!
    Although...you could go the whole hog and just get piers morgan to do it - would be very funny, very ironic, very deserving, and tony wouldn't be able to save him then - would save paperwork with the name change too....
    The remainder of the shortlist:
    John Major
    Ian & Duncan Smith
    JEFFREY ARCHER
    That welsh kid from prestatyn (the ginger one who spoke at the conference)
    George Galloway maybe - would also be pretty funny!

ReputationRep:
    When i say public i really mean places where the public goes e.g restaurants.
    Do you smoke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    haha - possibly boris!
    Although...you could go the whole hog and just get piers morgan to do it - would be very funny, very ironic, very deserving, and tony wouldn't be able to save him then - would save paperwork with the name change too....
    The remainder of the shortlist:
    John Major
    Ian & Duncan Smith
    JEFFREY ARCHER
    That welsh kid from prestatyn (the ginger one who spoke at the conference)
    George Galloway maybe - would also be pretty funny!
    Bring back Archer.

ReputationRep:
    Do you smoke?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno...its quite a contentious issue...because most people think they people should have the right to smoke, yet still vote to ban it because its what effects them most directly, and due to the number of people who smoke that makes it an easy call!
    I think in restaurants it is wrong since you are meant to savour the flavour, texture and smell of what you have paid for, on the other hand it can be a good part of the atmosphere in bars....
    The turnover in dublin bars is said to have dropped since it went non-smoking (from stats i have seen anyway...it is a slightly contentious issue aswell!)

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Okay, well personally i would fully support a ban in all restaurants of smoking.

Call it "freedom" if you like, but we need to draw the line somewhere, and smoking poses a serious threat not only to the person who chooses to smoke, but all of those around them.

Slowly phasing out the practice of smoking will do everyone good...

ReputationRep:
    This is true...but the sad thing is, the governmant will lose a significant amount of revenue from tabacco sales - and they say this will even out in the reduced NHS costs...but there will be a long lag period for that - so it will take a lot of juggling from gordy to put it all right...maybe thats where the 24hr drinking comes in....

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well personally i would fully support a ban in all restaurants of smoking.

Call it "freedom" if you like, but we need to draw the line somewhere, and smoking poses a serious threat not only to the person who chooses to smoke, but all of those around them.

Slowly phasing out the practice of smoking will do everyone good...
    Why not let the owner decide? All restaurants that i go to have smoking and non smoking areas. Its for the market to decide i.e. if its bad for business owners will react accordingly, not the government.

ReputationRep:
    Was this ironic? :confused:

I don't imagine that David Davis has a real understanding of the limited power, and room for manouevre modern politicians have. He would probably expect to be a Conservative... :rolleyes: Too naive and inexperienced.

Is there anybody but Clarke to lead with weight? Or anyone who would find more favour with the public? A Clarke leadership which made much noise about Vlad's Classic Liberalist stance while submitting privately to the Dirty Digger's globalist corporate agenda would see them pick up a few more voters.

Piss-ant comments like BKs would lose them even more voters.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.