Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would say Yes. A levels are the best way to find if a person is ready for the next level. The other system is the International Baccalaureate I don't like and don't see how this will work. I think that we should just keep it the way it is for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    I would say Yes. A levels are the best way to find if a person is ready for the next level. The other system is the International Baccalaureate I don't like and don't see how this will work. I think that we should just keep it the way it is for now.
    Does anybody want to keep them

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of them, bring in the Bac. It will distinguish between students that are academically intelligent in all fields of study as opposed to 3 or 4 subjects that we have now. It keeps doors open as opposed to closing them; which A levels do. We are only young (16) when we choose our A levels and that choice could affect our future. Some people may know what they want to do in life; so A levels are ok for them, but for the majority who may have a vaghue idea they have to be very careful with their choices, as it could limit which university course they can do.

There is also the argument that it would make students from England easier to compare with those from France

ReputationRep:
    A levels get you ready for uni in the area that you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    A levels get you ready for uni in the area that you want to study.
    Not necessarily; it depends on what course you are doing.
    You could be doing Maths, Further maths and English at A level and be doing a degree in Butterfly psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Not necessarily; it depends on what course you are doing.
    You could be doing Maths, Further maths and English at A level and be doing a degree in Butterfly psychology.
    So what do you suggest? That people decide what will effectively dictate the rest of their lives (eg. butterfly psychology) when they're thirteen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    So what do you suggest? That people decide what will effectively dictate the rest of their lives (eg. butterfly psychology) when they're thirteen?
    I said i agreed with the international Bac. The example i gave was a very extreme example to disprove the theory that A levels get us ready for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I said i agreed with the international Bac. The example i gave was a very extreme example to disprove the theory that A levels get us ready for university.
    so how will the IB get us ready for butterfly psych then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Enlighten me - how exactly does the baccalaureate system work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    so how will the IB get us ready for butterfly psych then?
    Hey, edders - wasn't that the same avatar you had when you first signed up (btw, it's a noticeable improvement on Mr T)?

ReputationRep:
    Enlighten me - how exactly does the baccalaureate system work?
    My knowledge is not expansive so i'll try my best. You study, Maths, English, Science, i think history as well. You take exams in them (obviously). The scoring is quite complex from what i remember. I know my explanation is very vague so i'm going to have to find out more. But i know it produces students with better all-round skills than A level students.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, edders - wasn't that the same avatar you had when you first signed up (btw, it's a noticeable improvement on Mr T)?
    well remembered whitey, it was indeed my original avatar. im being all nostalgic about the good all days before the forum got turned into a glorified chatroom for illiterate teenage girls.

ReputationRep:
    well remembered whitey, it was indeed my original avatar. im being all nostalgic about the good all days before the forum got turned into a glorified chatroom for illiterate teenage girls.
    Yes... those were the good old days, before every other thread was something to do with 'problems of a personal nature'.

Is this likely to be your permanent avatar, now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    My knowledge is not expansive so i'll try my best. You study, Maths, English, Science, i think history as well. You take exams in them (obviously). The scoring is quite complex from what i remember. I know my explanation is very vague so i'm going to have to find out more. But i know it produces students with better all-round skills than A level students.
    That makes sense. Leaving your options open whilst you're young is better than having to make life-changing decisions at 15. Still, the A level system is alright - it's better than the American system, at least.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... those were the good old days, before every other thread was something to do with 'problems of a personal nature'.

Is this likely to be your permanent avatar, now?
    at least until i can get a custom one up yes (as it stands im unable to)

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense. Leaving your options open whilst you're young is better than having to make life-changing decisions at 15. Still, the A level system is alright - it's better than the American system, at least.
    The american system? :confused:

I'm not acquainted with it, could you tell me more? I know about SAT's but that's really all i know about their system.

ReputationRep:
    at least until i can get a custom one up yes (as it stands im unable to)
    shouldnt have fiddled!

ReputationRep:
    The thing I don't like about the IB is that you could be an amazing scientist but fail due to your appaling English and Humanities marks. How is this fair?

If I've got the system wrong please tell me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The american system? :confused:

I'm not acquainted with it, could you tell me more? I know about SAT's but that's really all i know about their system.
    I'm not very knowlegeable about the American system, but I do know that they teach a lot more subjects than we do at 16+, and to a lot lower standards. British school-work is educationally 3 years ahead of Americans. What we learn in Year 10, they learn in year 13.

Ask one of our American members if you want confirmation of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    shouldnt have fiddled!
    heh well i was getting a bit bored of 'stick-man standing in cube'.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.