Turn on thread page Beta

Should A levels stay? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    heh well i was getting a bit bored of 'stick-man standing in cube'.
    I thought it was quite profound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    The thing I don't like about the IB is that you could be an amazing scientist but fail due to your appaling English and Humanities marks. How is this fair?

If I've got the system wrong please tell me.
    Which is why the IB differentiates between an all rounded student and a student that is only good/exceptional in one field. However, i guess this could be a bad thing as it could exclude the most amazing mathemitician/scentist/author of our generation.

ReputationRep:
    I would have hated doing the IB. why can't I choose to become focused on the sciences (as i did), instead of being forced to do something that i am not quite good at. doing history and english would have led to a sacrifice in the other sciency stuff. this can hardly be advantageous while applying to do a course like physics (and conversely, the essay-y subjects like history or english for those that like them but hate sciences). this could lead to a bigger downfall in post16 standards than we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I would have hated doing the IB. why can't I choose to become focused on the sciences (as i did), instead of being forced to do something that i am not quite good at. doing history and english would have led to a sacrifice in the other sciency stuff. this can hardly be advantageous while applying to do a course like physics (and conversely, the essay-y subjects like history or english for those that like them but hate sciences). this could lead to a bigger downfall in post16 standards than we have now.
    I would've hated doing it as well - it seems more like a compromise than a real solution.

Ben

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.