Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabrina)
    Um.... I'm really new to this site and this is my first post so here goes...
    I'm in IB1 this year and I've only THOUGHT of my Extended Essay. I was hoping to do it on something very medical since that is my field of interest. My question to you guys... would the topic of Cancer be too broad to tackle in 4000 words?
    Yeah its too broad , narrow it down for example look at specific types of cancer and maybe its treatments, specific types of cancer in a specific age group and gender , you could also look at if treatments are truly helping, and finally you could see if they have made great progress in the treatment of a specific cancer. Try looking at the ethical side and research side of the specific cancer. I hope I helped and good-luck on your essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcgsauce)
    I am doing mine in psychology. To what extent are the deficits found in English speaking dyslexics present in non English speaking dyslexics?

What do you guys think? It's pretty hard to find studies on this...damn, should've picked something more cliche. Does the research question make sense and is it doable at least?
    Hey I'm also doing mine on psychology "what are the pscyhological aspects of obesity in adolescent males and females between the age group of 13-16"
    I tried to narrow my question down but i'm also worried i wont be able to find much studies or books. I think your question is good, but it may be hard to find data and research! Maybe you could research language deficits in children and look at the different aspects of language, you also look at the link between speed and reading , I hope my suggestions helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonia-D)
    Hey I'm also doing mine on psychology "what are the pscyhological aspects of obesity in adolescent males and females between the age group of 13-16"
    I tried to narrow my question down but i'm also worried i wont be able to find much studies or books. I think your question is good, but it may be hard to find data and research! Maybe you could research language deficits in children and look at the different aspects of language, you also look at the link between speed and reading , I hope my suggestions helped!

Hi, yes I'm comparing developmental dyslexia in different languages and explaining why these differences exist to determine the universality of the disorder. I actually finished a first draft of my EE, it is looking good. However, your research question is not very good. The question does not lend itself to discussion and there really isn't any focus to the question. It sounds like you can answer that in a list. I suggest looking at other psychology RQs because they are more like: "How does harassment affect young homosexuals psychologically?"

For the RQ, it should be something like how does this cause or to what extent is this true, etc. Get it? Just trying to help. It also says in John Crane book that: "Topics that are too broad and could apply to many cultures (like globalization, the death penalty or eating disorders) are inappropriate". So sorry mate.

ReputationRep:
    business and management: Are the lessons in the book who moved my cheese applicable to corporate entities?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in the first year of IB and my favourite subject is Economics. Any ideas for a good EE topic? I like Econ (so far mainly macro and developmental) and have read many related books- eg Breakout Nations, False Economy, Poor Economics, The Undercover Economist etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    My extended essay topic was "What effect do screen-based electronic devices have on the synchronous neural oscillations in the case of Photo-induced epilepsy." I took Biology HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshjain97)
    Hi, I'm in the first year of IB and my favourite subject is Economics. Any ideas for a good EE topic? I like Econ (so far mainly macro and developmental) and have read many related books- eg Breakout Nations, False Economy, Poor Economics, The Undercover Economist etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Well in regards to development economics you could investigate the relatively high interest rates in microfinance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Samedi)
    My extended essay topic was "What effect do screen-based electronic devices have on the synchronous neural oscillations in the case of Photo-induced epilepsy." I took Biology HL.
    Hey, i also took higher and my RQ is due next week, any ideas for other neuro-based EE's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student003054)
    Hey, i also took higher and my RQ is due next week, any ideas for other neuro-based EE's?
    Well there are several interesting concepts currently being discussed. They include computational theory of mind which discusses the language of thought and how thinking is vastly simplifies purely a series of calculations and algorithms. Another could be neuroplasticity which investigates how areas of the brain develop throughout life, through the usage of cortical maps we could begin to understand the underlying parameters of phantom limbs and possibly cure learning disabilities and deterioration. Referring back to the curriculum of the neurobiology elective one could discuss the neuron firing rates and mechanisms behind threshold potentials.

http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bdoiron/Co..._Chapter11.pdf

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_memoranda/RM4857.html

http://link.springer.com/article/10....2476897#page-1

Good luck and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i looked at the extended essay guide and researched a bit online and i saw this question that they used as an example for helping us form a question "To what extent are commercially available anti-bacterial cleaning agents effective in controlling the growth of E.Coli on nutrient agar under laboratory conditions." is it ok if i use this?? help me please or is there a way i can change the format of this question??

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Psychology - How does participation in team sports influence the development of social skills in 12-16 year old school students?
    My school is swarming with people I could use as participants but the course doesn't do Sports Psychology.
    It's gonna be tough :/

ReputationRep:
    HI!

I am an IB student too and need to think about my EE topic. I read trough the conversations and it seemed like i could get help here.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to write it on The Great Gatsby by F.Scott.Fitzgerald?

I was thinking to ask something like: How are woman portrayed in The Great Gatsby by F.Scott.Fitzgerald and how has the image of woman changed over time?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys...

I am an IB student as well and need to think about my EE topic.

What do you guys think about writing it in English about The Great Gatsby?

My research question could be something like:

How are woman portrayed in The Great Gatsby by F.Scott.Fitzgerald and how did their image change (over time)?

or

How are woman portrayed in The Great Gatsby by F.Scott.Fitzgerald and what was done do change their image by the woman themselves?
    --> flappers, 1920's.....

Hope you can help me

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Heyy can someone help me with extended essay topics in Hindi?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm on my first year of the IB, but my EE teacher keeps pressuring us about finding a topic.
    I'm interested in Kinematics or Wave interaction in Physics but i'm having trouble finding a topic large enough to write a 4000 word essay. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Hello ITGS Students and/or knowledgeable Extended Essay guides,
    I want to do my EE on a topic of IT in Business (Since it is in the same area of study as what I want to pursue in the University) and I had an appointment with an IT Head of a Business. Out of that meeting, I gained many valuable knowledge, however I chose to direct my EE question on the DBMS of the Business, since it got me interested the most (& I don't know of any other IT in Bussiness topics which are eligible as ITGS topics). However, I am still unsure about how to relate this question so that it fits in with Social and Ethical consideration.
    Help with be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaslin)
    Hi guys...

I am an IB student as well and need to think about my EE topic.

What do you guys think about writing it in English about The Great Gatsby?

My research question could be something like:

How are woman portrayed in The Great Gatsby by F.Scott.Fitzgerald and how did their image change (over time)?

or

How are woman portrayed in The Great Gatsby by F.Scott.Fitzgerald and what was done do change their image by the woman themselves?
    --> flappers, 1920's.....

Hope you can help me

Thanks in advance
    I think that is an excellent choice since you can find a lot of secondary research information on the internet and this theme is widely celebrated in the book, I also know this because my classmates did presenations on this topic.

ReputationRep:
    graduating this year, did my ee on
    "Tolkien's use of characterization to explore the themes of greed and power within the novel, The Hobbit"

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So I'm starting to think of EE topics and I wanted to do mine on English on Oedipus Rex and my research topic is somewhere on the lines of
    " How does the themes in Oedipus Rex help create catharsis."
    or
    " What is the significance of the structure of the drama Oedipus Rex."
    Suggestions and comments are welcome.
    Thank you!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.