The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elena_aris
Hi! I'm in IB year 1, and my teachers just told me that we have to decide in our topic for the Extended Essay for November 5th, I'm thinking in either doing it in English A, or in Spanish A since I do both in higher level, any ideas? I was thinking on connections of literature with historical events or development of society. Help please!

I did mine in English A: Language and Lit :biggrin: It's probably the easiest subject for me but I think your decision should be based on which language you feel more comfortable with :smile:
Im at the beginning of my IB course and trying to get it done as soon as possible but without rushing it too much obviously!

I wanted to do it in psychology and in the topic of lies, my supervisor said it was a good topic if I could find enough research to back it up, which I have.
The only problem is Im not sure what the question should be :/

I was thinking maybe either something along the line of white lies of maybe something to do with why children lie? But im really not sure....

HELP!!
Hi! I'm in IB year 1, and my teachers just told me that we have to decide in our topic for the Extended Essay for November 5th, I'm thinking in either doing it in English A, or in Spanish A since I do both in higher level, any ideas? I was thinking on connections of literature with historical events or development of society. Help please!
Original post by notbritt
I did mine in English A: Language and Lit :biggrin: It's probably the easiest subject for me but I think your decision should be based on which language you feel more comfortable with :smile:

I'm a native Spanish speaker, but I have been going to an American School for eleven years now, so I feel comfortable in both... Do both subjects have the same criteria? And what was you extended essay on?

I think that maybe its easier to do it on the white lies. Children are propense to lie all the time, and that's just a fact. I think you'll dinf my intel on the other topic.
I think that maybe its easier to do it on the white lies. Children are propense to lie all the time, and that's just a fact. I think you'll dinf my intel on the other topic.

Thanks, I think I will do it on white lies, I felt more inclined to that anyway!

Regarding yours, I think you should do it in Spanish as its different and will stand out in my opinion, however dont do it if you are not confident with the language. I live in Spain and am fluent in Spanish but I chose psychology because its something I find interesting and want to do later on in life, although I did consider doing it in Spanish. Just see whether you´re confident enough to do it and then from there choose your topic.
Thanks for your input and good luck with yours :smile:
Original post by ImaniNoya
Thanks, I think I will do it on white lies, I felt more inclined to that anyway!

Regarding yours, I think you should do it in Spanish as its different and will stand out in my opinion, however dont do it if you are not confident with the language. I live in Spain and am fluent in Spanish but I chose psychology because its something I find interesting and want to do later on in life, although I did consider doing it in Spanish. Just see whether you´re confident enough to do it and then from there choose your topic.
Thanks for your input and good luck with yours :smile:

yes, I also live in Spain but I'm fluento in both english and spanish, so that's the problem. for sure i will do it in one of those two. thanks for your advide :smile:
I'm a native Spanish speaker, but I have been going to an American School for eleven years now, so I feel comfortable in both... Do both subjects have the same criteria? And what was you extended essay on?

English isn't my first language either haha :biggrin: I think they have the same criteria but I'm not 100% sure. I did it on George Orwell's 1984 and Lois Lowry's The Giver.
Anyone planning on doing their EE on economics? I was thinking of doing mine on the market structure of a local industry. Good or bad idea?
(edited 9 years ago)
Mine was in English A Lit - "How does setting propagate the modernist themes in 'The Sun Also Rises' by Hemingway and 'The Trial' by Kafka
Mine is in film HL, The interpretation of the play Hamlet in the animated film The lion king
I did mine in geography on the HS2 :-)
I did mine in Visual Arts, on the extent of which tropical design and sustainable architecture was implemented in commercial architectural buildings in my home country :smile: I got a predicted 35/36! PM me if you need any ideas for Art EE's :wink:
Another IB year one here, wondering if you all could help me decide between EE topics?
I'm choosing between
1) US-Cuban economic relations during baristas rule or how they influenced the rise of the revolution and relations with the ussr
2) whether Singapores former prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, could have been considered a "benevolent dictator" or something like twe his autocracy was needed for economic growth or whether Singapore can be deemed a police state
Im very interested in both but my worries for 1) are that it may be too overdone/a popular subject, but it is also very relevant today. another plus is that there is a lot of material on the subject.
for 2) there is less of a risk of it being overdone but I worry that many documents or books pertaining to the subject will be in Singaporean plus that there is will not be as much reading on it than US-Cuban relations
any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Hey! I'm in my first year of IB - coming to an end now and I haven't started my Extended Essay yet but I've chosen to do it in English A and the books, 'Enduring Love' and 'Atonement', both by Ian McEwan.

The research question I have at the moment is to do with comparing the perspective of the two books as one is in third person and another is in the first, and making a comparison of the similarities/differences of the different narration used and how it consequently affects the reader.

My supervisor isn't 100% sure this question will work yet, so we have similar theme oppositions as back-ups also to do with the idea of perspective, such as the individual perspective vs the big picture and truth vs fiction.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I'm thinking about doing mine on either the importance of archaeology for discovering the practices of war (I do Causes, Practices and Effects of war for SL History) or something political. I haven't decided yet
I did mine in Mathematics, titled "Do Numbers go on Forever?" :smile:
Hey everyone!
(Kinda new on here)

I've chosen to do my essay on Physics! To be more specific, I want to look at nuclear fusion.

My current title: Is nuclear fusion the future of energy?
Original post by suwuken
I did mine in Mathematics, titled "Do Numbers go on Forever?" :smile:

WOW! That does sound pretty good and very interesting!

You mentioned you 'did' it, have you completed the IB?
Original post by gsxrjunkie
WOW! That does sound pretty good and very interesting!

You mentioned you 'did' it, have you completed the IB?

Thanks! I thought it was.
I'm doing the May 2015 session, so I've almost completed the IB :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending