Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Biology - An investigation into the levels of heavy metal pollutants found in the common mussel in St Donats bay and the Bristol channel in comparison to a prior study carried out in 1994.

Hard work but surprisingly fun! the hardest bit is trying to secure the facilities from nearby universities to carry out the necessary testing (atomic absorption spectroscopy), still working on that

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in English A2 Higher Level and my research question was : "What is the connection between the bestselling success of "The Da Vinci Code" and the religious content of the novel opposing the doctrines of the Church?"

I got B and I'm very pleased with it. I dealt with a very current discussion, fresh all over the world, I scrutinized a novel that impressed me so much with its literary techniques and fluency! I think that was my advantage, I think you newcomers should choose something you would really like to work with. I am here for advice.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear help! I want to do geog but I dont really know where to begin population would be the easiest, right?

ReputationRep:
    I think the subject "populations" is too broad. Since IB likes connections between different cultures or multicultural points of view for a certain subject may be you can choose a narrower subject in geography and examine how it works for different populations or continents may be.
    Take the Arctic and Egypt, see how temperature shapes the living conditions of the inhabitants, for instance, of course that's the easiest. You should find something more original. You can do some theoretical research and include some specific everyday examples as well.
    Blend the theoretical, the practical, some living examples, reports, interviews, statistics, references, and don't miss the cultural focus!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Business- The impact of Corporate social responsibility on the Textile and Apparel industry in china

Still too broad... it was alright since i did a lot of work experiance over the summer within the csr department.... but im re-writing it again, with a clearer focus and more background knowledge... as i am alloud to use an audit report from one of the industries now... wahey!!

if anyone did business... what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Im going into my final year of IB diploma in Septemeber, and our teachers
    just informed us about the extended essay and said to try to finish atleast a rough copy by end of summer...Now the thing is, Im usually a procrastinator, but this is something I dont want to pull off last min. I'm thinking of doing my essay in history on North Korea/South Korea. Can anybody help?

One of my topics I thought of was:
    To what extent is Kim Jong Il responsible for the 98 famine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadedIB)
    I think the subject "populations" is too broad. Since IB likes connections between different cultures or multicultural points of view for a certain subject may be you can choose a narrower subject in geography and examine how it works for different populations or continents may be.
    Take the Arctic and Egypt, see how temperature shapes the living conditions of the inhabitants, for instance, of course that's the easiest. You should find something more original. You can do some theoretical research and include some specific everyday examples as well.
    Blend the theoretical, the practical, some living examples, reports, interviews, statistics, references, and don't miss the cultural focus!
    Good luck.
    thanks for the advice!! yeah the cultural factor is important... been thinking about it..

what if i talk about migration in my country (singapore). Like how we're multi racial, why people go out and come in and so on.. something like push and pull factors.

ReputationRep:
    yes, that sounds better. at least i can see the culture there. you should definitely include some theory behind it. there are many theories on immigration and social behavior / refer to books from a variety of sociologists. However I think this sounds more like a sociology essay rather than geography. Thats the only point I can criticise.
    A comparison would strengthen your point and show the examiners that you are not limited only with your motherland. The ultimate example for a multiracial cosmopolitan is New York, you can use that.
    Don't forget to stick to the "conventional" geographic elements somewhere on your way, otherwise bear in mind that it will be more like sociology.
    Make your point clear and to the focus,

Good luck again..

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in Psychology; "Is reading comprehension and speed affected by changing the text's font?" - got a B in it (predicted an A)... I loved the whole research behind it... nice chance to delve into psycholinguistics, which isn't really considered in the Psych Syllabus. And actually, I did do an experiment for it (perhaps that's what brought it down - perhaps not?)

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...EE. I was so glad when I finished mine. Anyway, I did mine comparing literary themes in Harry Potter and C. S. Lewis' Narnia (actually just The Lion, the Witch...) in English A1. Ended up with a B so I was happy. I agree it's best to choose what you like and will enjoy working on and if it's a current issue then it's great as well. Mine was "current" in the fact that when I finished it and it was sent off, the Harry Potter movie 4 and the Narnia movie just were released...though that wasn't planned. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canucks19)

One of my topics I thought of was:
    To what extent is Kim Jong Il responsible for the 98 famine
    I think this is not too broad, but it seems too easy. And if you read the EE guide it says that it is not appropriate to choose a subject that is straight forward. I think with this question, however you twist and turn it, youll end up saying that the source of the famine was Kim Jong Il. Take something more challenging, but dont overcomplicate it. When you start writing, make sure that you have already come to a conclusion knowing in which direction youll lead your essay.

I got an A for my EE in history. So, I feel rather confident about how things should be. Let me know if I can help you in any way. I love working with history.

ReputationRep:
    The Kim Jong Il essay...I'm not sure if it's a very appropriate question since it's in history and you shouldn't do an event that happened less than 10-15 years ago. History needs time to be considered totally, we need all the factors (maybe future released archives etc) to really do a well researched question on it. that is why the IB syllabus on reaches up to 1995 (part of the reason anyway). History is one subject you really shouldn't do a recent contemporary event. I'm not sure every examiner is going to harsh re this 10 years rule but my teacher who is an examiner says that it's not really appropriate so I'm not sure I would tempt it.

I dont really know anything about the famine but I think, like saray, knowing KJI, he was responsible for it and it might seems to straight forward a question. Can you really write 4000 words on it? Can you give evidences of where it might considered that it was not KJI responsible and back it up...etc. I'm not entirely sure you should have an essay question where the conclusion will be that, definitely, yes, he was responsible. It sounds too much like a yes or no question. Perhaps is it's phrased "KJI was responsible for the famine. Discuss." This doesn't really require you to provide an answer yes or no, but it allows you to discuss the extent he was responsible just the same. It's more on the wording of the question.

But I would agree with Saray. Take something that is not so definite. Something that perhaps has been discussed but still is controversial. As much as I am annoyed with my grade 6 in history (I totally think I should have gotten a 7), I do love the subject and would gladly help!

ReputationRep:
    History EE, “Which Russian leader followed a more orthodox Marxist approach towards religion, Lenin or Stalin?" Staying within 4000 words was really hard although I was happy with the effort to find sources (my school has a carp library).

ReputationRep:
    Economics EE comparing supermarkets in France and the Netherlands. No specific question quite yet.

paul_S12: Don't complain, we had to buy all our books as our school has NO library.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, i totally agree with HMSchocolate. You should definitely not do any historical work on issues which are not older than 10-15 yrs. Totally forgot about this.

ReputationRep:
    You are not supposed to an EE in history which is not 10 years old and is given in the EE guide.

ReputationRep:
    Doing mine in French - "Comment est-ce que les médias anglais et américains influençent la langue française au niveau intérnational?" It's about how the american and english media influences the french language on an international level (in case ya don't speak French). I'm half-way through it at the moment, we have this summer to write it, then we have to hand it in (first draft) when we get back to school in September. It's interesting - but really difficult I think. Bearing in mind that at the end of your second year of university you only have to write something of about 5000 words in French, it seems quite harsh that I have to do something almost as long now lol. But, on the other hand, it'll prepare me well I guess and I won't be as shocked when it comes to writing 5000 words of French cos' I'll have already written 4000 previously - which is cool

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my ee in bio and I was thinking about either testing the rate of digestion of organic foods v. inorganic foods or the effect of nitrogen in the soil on the venus flytrap as opposed to gaining the nitrogen from flys that it catches. any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chestnyh Psihov)
    Doing mine in French - "Comment est-ce que les médias anglais et américains influençent la langue française au niveau intérnational?" It's about how the american and english media influences the french language on an international level (in case ya don't speak French). I'm half-way through it at the moment, we have this summer to write it, then we have to hand it in (first draft) when we get back to school in September. It's interesting - but really difficult I think. Bearing in mind that at the end of your second year of university you only have to write something of about 5000 words in French, it seems quite harsh that I have to do something almost as long now lol. But, on the other hand, it'll prepare me well I guess and I won't be as shocked when it comes to writing 5000 words of French cos' I'll have already written 4000 previously - which is cool
    it's French B I suppose? sounds very hard...

ReputationRep:
    HI... I'm going to be graduating in 2007 and we have to think of topics for our EE.. I'm thinking of doing mine on the French Resistance of WWII, or possibly the effects of the Vichy régime. Did anyone do or (is anyone thinking of doing) anything similar for their Extended Essay? if so please reply with any comments or advice It would be much appreciated!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.