Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

IB Students: What are your extended essay topics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, roughly how long do extended essays and tok essays have to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    out of interest, roughly how long do extended essays and tok essays have to be?
    Extended Essays: 4,000 words

TOK essays: 1600 words

ReputationRep:
    4000 words is not bad at all!

ReputationRep:
    It's very hard to keep it below 4,000 words though and you really have to constantly refine it and make it as tightly written as is humanly possible. My initial piece was 10,000 words, my first 'formal' draft 5,100. To get a good grade on your EE you really do need to put in a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    i always have trouble with word limits usually i can just bs my way through it tho and for word count write a lot less than my actual count and get away with it!! i was over the limit for an economics paper by about...1000 words but my teacher never noticed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vertago)
    i always have trouble with word limits usually i can just bs my way through it tho and for word count write a lot less than my actual count and get away with it!! i was over the limit for an economics paper by about...1000 words but my teacher never noticed!
    I wouldn't advise sending that paper to the IB though...

ReputationRep:
    no way would i do that! im not entirely blonde! anyways im still pre IB!

ReputationRep:
    The First Non-Communist Governments in Bulgaria and their leagacy.

This one is politics. I have no prob woth word count. Mine was just 4000
    3997 to be correct if i remember right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    It's very hard to keep it below 4,000 words though and you really have to constantly refine it and make it as tightly written as is humanly possible. My initial piece was 10,000 words, my first 'formal' draft 5,100. To get a good grade on your EE you really do need to put in a lot of work.
    You make me nervous...TEN THOUSAND WORDS?! What did you SAY?! I thought EE was the hardest bit of the IB, writing lengthy essays is just not my thing...I barely managed to get 3997 words for mine! (:

ReputationRep:
    My EE was a really enjoyable experience - I did it in History. "Was the legal abolition of sati (burning a woman with her husbands dead body) in 1829 more strongly advocated by the British colonialists or the Indian people?" It took forever to research and write, but it was very interesting and personally enriching. i sound like SUCH a nerd, but i think it's a great way to learn how to write a proper paper/dissertation before you get into the scary stuff at uni. 4000 words really is not enough - my final draft was 3994 words!!! I suggest you people still thinking about what to do make sure you choose something you feel personally attached to and think you would enjoy finding out more about. Also, try and do something connected to the career you would eventually like to pursue (i want to do law, therefore legal women's rights...) Seriously, it's a good opportunity so don't waste it on a topic you completely dread studying from the start!!

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year of the IB Diploma. I only have about a week now before I have to hand in my extended essay idea. I wanted to do something in Forensic Science but that doesn't really fit into the criteria. I am thinking of maybe doing sometihnga bout the fungus involved in the salem witch trials and how forensic science was used to determine the fungus's effect. Does this sound OK? Does anyone have anysuggestions?> I have heared that not many people do an essay in science...buti think my science teachers are just syaing that so they dont have to do any work...

ReputationRep:
    I did mine for English, which is pretty much as far away from science as possible, but I have a friend who did hers for Biology. I think it is harder just because of the number of words you have to write: it would have to be a really long lab report!

If you are trying to figure out what to do, I would ask your IB coordinator for the criteria for the different subjects. They change, so they might be more difficult for science.

On another note, and just out of interest, what exactly is 'flair'? This is in one of the criteria, and I was trying to figure out how they judged it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monel)
    I am in my first year of the IB Diploma. I only have about a week now before I have to hand in my extended essay idea. I wanted to do something in Forensic Science but that doesn't really fit into the criteria. I am thinking of maybe doing sometihnga bout the fungus involved in the salem witch trials and how forensic science was used to determine the fungus's effect. Does this sound OK? Does anyone have anysuggestions?> I have heared that not many people do an essay in science...buti think my science teachers are just syaing that so they dont have to do any work...
    in sciences you don't really do an essay just a really, really long lab raport...

ReputationRep:
    But i want to do a science for my extended essay. it has nothing to do with my normal science ib programme, but i just want to do a science for my extended essay...

ReputationRep:
    People who did their extended essays in english :

do you think its a good idea to write the entire EE on literary technique in one poem???

I;m having a rlly hard time thinking of something...though I know it'll be something on Sylvia Plath..Any suggestions??

ReputationRep:
    People who did their extended essays in english :

do you think its a good idea to write the entire EE on literary technique in one poem???
    I did mine in English, on the novels of Raymond Chandler, which is a bit different that what you're considering, but I wouldn't reccomend doing it on one poem. It's hard to write 4000 words about the literary features of one poem, and you won't get full marks in all the categories.

If you wanted to do something on Sylvia Plath, it would be better to do comparisons of a few poems, or talk about the significance of a couple aspects of her work, or compare her to another poet. Someone in my class did a comparison of metaphysical poets, and it worked out well for him.

ReputationRep:
    I did an extended essay in Maths which was cool because hardly anyone does that. They don't expect all that much from you. In fact, they don't care if you write about 1000 words cos it's mainly formulae and stuff anyway.

I did mine on Vedic Mathematics (Indian Mathematics). I proved some theories including their method for doing square root by hand. It didn't involve too much time and effort actually. All I did was spend a couple of sleepless nights proving theories and then I just had to write it up.

Did anyone else do their extended essay in Maths? What did you do it in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahwhatevver)
    You make me nervous...TEN THOUSAND WORDS?! What did you SAY?! I thought EE was the hardest bit of the IB, writing lengthy essays is just not my thing...I barely managed to get 3997 words for mine! (:
    Ok, peopel. 4000 words is teh MAXIMUM If you write more than this you may get 0 on one of the criteria because you exceeded the wordcount. The minimum number of words depends on the subject. In mathematics, ad sciences, they dont care but you will need at least 2500 in order to cover all the criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silltilly)
    I did an extended essay in Maths which was cool because hardly anyone does that. They don't expect all that much from you. In fact, they don't care if you write about 1000 words cos it's mainly formulae and stuff anyway.

I did mine on Vedic Mathematics (Indian Mathematics). I proved some theories including their method for doing square root by hand. It didn't involve too much time and effort actually. All I did was spend a couple of sleepless nights proving theories and then I just had to write it up.

Did anyone else do their extended essay in Maths? What did you do it in?
    I thought about doing it in maths, but my teatcher just wanted to do it on history of maths and I didnt so I did it in physics instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Ok, peopel. 4000 words is teh MAXIMUM If you write more than this you may get 0 on one of the criteria because you exceeded the wordcount. The minimum number of words depends on the subject. In mathematics, ad sciences, they dont care but you will need at least 2500 in order to cover all the criteria.
    Great, I never knew there was a minimum number of words!
    Oh and about the EEs in Math, I saw one about Pick's Theorem and never thought I would manage anything half as much 'educated' so dismissed the idea in 2 minutes...

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.