Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you started EE *already*? we didn't start till january of our first year.

for science they usually want you to do something you can experiment on, and that you can do labs on and actually give in your results. you shouldn't do a purely research essay for science. but then could your topic be put to the lab?

ReputationRep:
    oh my god.. I'm totally, definitely in dire straits with this bloody extended essay. Deadline was.. um.. July. Then we were menat to redraft over the summer, and hand that in on the 5th of Sept.

I have no drafts. I've only written 200words. I'm not lazy. I do try, but then i bin everthign i write because it jaust aisn't good enough. I'm still not happy with what i've done of my intro. I know, i know, you're not meant to get it right first time, and that's what drafting and supervision is all about, but I have a real real problem with perfectionism. Any ideas? Any at all??

I've spoken with my supervisor on a number of occasions and she knows that i've got this perfectionism problem, but I swear to god it's got worse. I spent 12 to 14hrs on it the night before last, and i got basically nowhere. I tend to nitpick over words a lot, and over syntax and what exactly i'm trying to say. Deadlines are getting more and more life-or-death, and i have courseowrk for other subjects that also needs to be done, universities applications, revision, CAS (i'm really annoyed about that, too-- I was getting tennis coaching, i'd clocked up about...30hrs and over the summer the coach left the country never to return. I am soooo stressed right now it's not even funny.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in Bio,
    dont know the exact topic (though i have finished the first draft) but it's a comparison of female core temperatures over the period of two months. Very interesting i must say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harpy)
    oh my god.. I'm totally, definitely in dire straits with this bloody extended essay. Deadline was.. um.. July. Then we were menat to redraft over the summer, and hand that in on the 5th of Sept.

I have no drafts. I've only written 200words. I'm not lazy. I do try, but then i bin everthign i write because it jaust aisn't good enough. I'm still not happy with what i've done of my intro. I know, i know, you're not meant to get it right first time, and that's what drafting and supervision is all about, but I have a real real problem with perfectionism. Any ideas? Any at all??

I've spoken with my supervisor on a number of occasions and she knows that i've got this perfectionism problem, but I swear to god it's got worse. I spent 12 to 14hrs on it the night before last, and i got basically nowhere. I tend to nitpick over words a lot, and over syntax and what exactly i'm trying to say. Deadlines are getting more and more life-or-death, and i have courseowrk for other subjects that also needs to be done, universities applications, revision, CAS (i'm really annoyed about that, too-- I was getting tennis coaching, i'd clocked up about...30hrs and over the summer the coach left the country never to return. I am soooo stressed right now it's not even funny.
    My friend, I feel you! But you need to break this habit as soon as possible! Trust me, I know. Same thing happened to me last year. What helped me in the end was when my IBC forced me to see a school psychologist and she told me that I had "prestationsångest" as it is called in Swedish. This is to say, some sort of anxiety about how one is going to perform.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I wanted to get every single word right as I had convinced myself I needed perfect 7s and As in everything. I could write the same paragraph for hours and get nowhere. And I got nowhere. The opposite almost happened for that reason. Back then I was due to hand in my world lit and EE. My teachers told me - this ain't no good. So what helped me then? Well, I told myself - you can do this, just trust yourself and your capabilities. And so I did which brought about that my world lit and EE were awarded 7 respectively an A.

Just believe in yourself and go for it! Don't strive for perfection, it'll come naturally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva)
    I did mine in Bio,
    dont know the exact topic (though i have finished the first draft) but it's a comparison of female core temperatures over the period of two months. Very interesting i must say
    hey eva that sounds really interesting, how did u manage that????:p:

ReputationRep:
    well..i basically asked a group of people living in the boarding house and another group (of the same age group obviously) who were day students to record their body temperature for two months. then i analysed these results, i.e. drew loads of graphs to see if there was any correlation. the whole thing is based on the menstrual cycle and ovulation especially at first i thought the data would not show anything but the hypothesis was actually proved and the graphs look really kool aswell, lol..ohh well, maybe it's just me into human beings

ReputationRep:
    where did they measure their temperature from...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_cole2)
    where did they measure their temperature from...?
    They kept the thermometer under their tongue for 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, this is rally crappy. I mean my final draft has to be given in 3 days , however i hope for a reschedualing. I have taken Geography Sl , " How much time does Macedonia need for reaching the standards of the EU?". I havent started yet. I've got all the materials and the idea, i am just too lasy to do it .The thing is , the essay is just a condition and a point. Students that go on to private colleges will noit have problems with their admission if they did not get the one point awarded for the EE.However, for our IB brothers and sisters who plan on going to the prominent universities as Harward, Oxford, Cambridge, good luck and i hope you do a great EE.

ReputationRep:
    your point? that you should just bomb the EE and not worry about it? I beg to differ. If you do an absolutely crappy EE (and get say a D) you stand to lose all 3 bonus points if your TOK is not up to standard either. or you could do well on both your TOK and EE and get your 3 pts. 3 points is a lot in the overall scheme of things, I'm sorry to point it out to you. people view 24-29 points students differently from viewing the 30+ and 40+ students.

I dont know what was the purpose for your pointing out the fact that I you haven't start the EE despite its being due in 3 days. Sorry if we sound a little dedicated in the quality of our work. I worked very hard on my EE and was proud of it. the point was not getting 1 or 2 or 3 bonus points. I just couldn't stand to submit work that was not my best ability, especially after all the money that I paid to do the IB in the first place.

Rant over. I know I sounded a little *****y.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.... this is my first year of the IB and i choose CHILD ABUSE to be my topic, i just need help and tell me is this a good topic or not and why...
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    lol erm no, you clearly are a bit of a virgin tot he IB, u can't just pick something about of the air *chuckles* what subject is that in...what are you going to look at you need a 'focussed research question' for a start. you could look at it in laods of subjects though:
    psychology: effect on children of child abuse
    Greography: effect of gdp on child abuse
    History: the evolution of child abuse
    English: Books on child abuse
    lol erm...
    biology: how it effects the body

ReputationRep:
    Finally, I'm doing pigmentation of flowers. I haven't got my exact topic, i'm waiting for my tutor to tell me which one of the 100 topics i've chosen it's the best one. But my deadline for the EE paper thing is next thursday

ReputationRep:
    i want to take peoples blood pressure and heart beat and compare this to the amount of physical activity they do.. how can i improve this, will it work? what is another variable that may be more effective?

ReputationRep:
    hi every1 !

it's my first year in ib and i have to say it looks scary :eek: all this deadlines, essays, tests and so on... at the moment my problem is ee - i've chosen biology but don't know the topic yet :confused: - can any1 suggest sth?

thx

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering, could you write an essay about how games affect peoples behaviour in any other subject than psychology? I'd love to write about it, but I won't be taking psy in year 2 ><

ReputationRep:
    Oh please dont remind me about EE, for months I'm avoidnig my advisor, and I feel sick when I think of it

I am doing it in design technology, about the influence of colours we use in design on human mind and perception.

PS if anyone has any books to recomend, go right ahead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timangi)
    Was just wondering, could you write an essay about how games affect peoples behaviour in any other subject than psychology? I'd love to write about it, but I won't be taking psy in year 2 ><
    actualy a friend of mine is doing that in ITGS (information technologies in global society), and our teacher told us that she did her EE in psychology but she didint take psychology, but you have to have someone like psychology teacher to be your adviser for that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayme)
    actualy a friend of mine is doing that in ITGS (information technologies in global society), and our teacher told us that she did her EE in psychology but she didint take psychology, but you have to have someone like psychology teacher to be your adviser for that too
    ITGS huh, sounds great

ReputationRep:
    Actually, ITGS EEs can be a little annoying. You have to write the up in sections, just like a normal ITGS essay, and then (horror) you have to come up with solutions, etc. And justify those solutions.

I shoud know. I did an ITGS EE on 'The Relationship Between the Development and Evolution Of Video Game Industry and 3D Graphics Engines and the Impact of this on Society'. It is actually really hard to fit this into 4000 words, I know that personally, I skimped on a great majority of my arguments, and left great gaping holes in other parts.

Basically, it isn't impossible, but you do have to be very focused, and limit you scope to something very specific. And do something you can easily find important issues to, that you can also solve easily. =P

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.