Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Huh??? How can you take 8 subjects at IB. To my knowledge you could only take 7. there's not enough time for 8 subjects unless your school year runs longer than the world average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl0ckw0rk0range)
    Hi,

Im a Junior, first year in IB and I dont need to write up my EE yet...well i think. I mean, none of my teachers have mentioned it to me but I see all the seniors in my school suffering right now... so here I am exploring and reading everyones comments.

so yeah um I was wondering: WHERE can i find a list of categories of EE topics?

Like, some people have said you can write about psychology even though you dont take it. What are the categories??
    You could do your EE in any subject you like, though it's not advised (at my school anyway) to do it in a subject you're not taking.

there's not a list of categories per se, I think. The most common subjects are obviously Languages A1 or Humanities subjects (I think History is the most popular there). Sciences are popular too but they want you to do actual experiments for Sciences, not a pure research EE.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, this is my first time on this site. I am an IB1. My school just started the IB Programme two years ago, so we are just now getting feedback on how the first EE's fared, and apparently they didn't turn out so good. One student, who btw received a full ride to Harvard and chose MIT instead, only got a 4.

I am interested in World Religions as a topic. Am considering something about the roots of the practices of Christianity and its well known myths, or perhaps that the holidays were the culmination of other religions. I read through the first 11 or so pages of this blog- didn't see anyone else with World Religions. Please tell me if you have suggestions....

Also, World Religions is just something I'm interested in, my career will be in law. Do you think it's ok to choose a topic that is unrelated to your career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMSChocolate)
    You could do your EE in any subject you like, though it's not advised (at my school anyway) to do it in a subject you're not taking.

there's not a list of categories per se, I think. The most common subjects are obviously Languages A1 or Humanities subjects (I think History is the most popular there). Sciences are popular too but they want you to do actual experiments for Sciences, not a pure research EE.
    thank you

im in first year IB, im not a science person.. i might do something about japan. hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gotchahoodwinked)
    Hi all, this is my first time on this site. I am an IB1. My school just started the IB Programme two years ago, so we are just now getting feedback on how the first EE's fared, and apparently they didn't turn out so good. One student, who btw received a full ride to Harvard and chose MIT instead, only got a 4.

I am interested in World Religions as a topic. Am considering something about the roots of the practices of Christianity and its well known myths, or perhaps that the holidays were the culmination of other religions. I read through the first 11 or so pages of this blog- didn't see anyone else with World Religions. Please tell me if you have suggestions....

Also, World Religions is just something I'm interested in, my career will be in law. Do you think it's ok to choose a topic that is unrelated to your career?
    ?? You can't get a 4 for EE. It's marked A-E.

Realisitcally, if you're a really really good student in the US, the EE and TOK wouldn't really matter that much because US university look at lot into your SAT/ACT scores and your essays anyway. Besides, US university make offer on your predicted grade and you get an unconditional offer before you exam even starts anyway so yeah, you could do crappily in EE and TOK but have a really good predicted score and report card score then you're fine.

That said, it still looks good if you do well in the EE. Anyway it's normal to do the EE that has nothing to do with your career. It's jsut a requirement of the IB. Unless, of course, you want to submit a copy of your EE as a sample for university application. I think it's best if you choose your EE topic on something you actually would enjoy working on (so that you dont hate it and procrastinate).

I'm trying to think whether World Religion is actually an IB subject. I don't think it is anyway. which means you need to decide what subject your EE is to be categorised under as it would affect how you should write your EE.

yeah this is just some very general pointers on EE.

ReputationRep:
    heyy guys...im doing my ee in history,,,i wanna do something with children and world war ii...but i have no idea on what title i can do...anny suggestions?! anything is greatly apreciated!! thanxx
    -xo

ReputationRep:
    I have probably had the worst luck (and still do!!) when it comes to doing the extended essay. I am in my second year at the moment and still pretty much without an ee . I initially wanted to do something about cancer, and asked my appointed tutor if it was ok or not and he said it was fine. He told me to look at the biological aspects of cancer and told me to talk about how antibodies work against cancer cells for my e.e. He even went ahead and ordered about 12 books for my topic (which STILL haven't arrived though!!:mad:), so i started working on my essay and realised that i was doing nothing but stating facts, so i asked him if i could change my topic because this one was pretty lame...but then he wouldnt let me because he had already ordered a dozen books for the topic!. So i tried modifying a topic a bit by coming up with a hypothesis that 'cancer' itself was part of an evolutionary process because our body completly fails to fight against it (and here i talked abt antibodies n all) and then concluded by saying that cancer is a unique biological entity and is inevitable as it is part of our natural evolutionary process....I did all that and showed it to my teacher and he basically said that i've written bull**** (but in nicer words:p: )..and now hes asking me to do my essay ALL over again and said that i should do it on genetic engineering and what its got to do with cancer :confused: ( i mean wtf?)...so im like in a horrible situation right now with an extremely lame topic and a very stubborn tutor...what should i do??!!!..do u guys have any suggestions or ideas??!!...i really need help,coz im really REALLY stuck

ReputationRep:
    ahhh. the pain of the extended essay
    i just turned in my full first draft of my EE last week to my supervisor. My EE final draft is actually due mid November.
    I did mine on Politics (UN reform) even though my school doesn't even offer the course in politics. hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I need to have mine finished by november.. 7th. Cambridge deadlines, I want to send it in.

AAAAAARGH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibzy)
    he basically said that i've written bull**** (but in nicer words:p: )..and now hes asking me to do my essay ALL over again and said that i should do it on genetic engineering and what its got to do with cancer :confused: ( i mean wtf?)...so im like in a horrible situation right now with an extremely lame topic and a very stubborn tutor...what should i do??!!!..do u guys have any suggestions or ideas??!!...i really need help,coz im really REALLY stuck
    I did my EE in Bio aswell, but I did an experiment. So I assume you're gonna have to do the factual/narrative one and simply talk and discuss a topic without any data, am I rite? Anyway, if your tutor wants you to do it on genetical engineering and cancer, then what he probably has in mind (or if not, then maybe you could still consider this topic :cool:) is the developments which take place in a cell which has been become cancerous, and perhaps how genetic engineering could modify them or smthg. For example the expression of genes which stimulates growth, and which kill cells in the normal environment. And also the genetic engineering of the T cells in the immune system or smthg, since they are involved in/affected by the process of tumour growth. And obviously how genetic engineering could be used in prevention or curing of cancer since chemotheray etc are not excactly good (read: specific), are they? I dunno actually,these are just sum things that came up in my mind when I connect the two words
    Anyway, have you come up wit a topic yet?

ReputationRep:
    my topic is "Faustian elements in Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray". I'm doing it in A2 English. I was going to compare goethe's faust to dorian gray and analyze the texts. But I have a question...One of my teachers said that you also need to use external sources other than the two texts to support your argument. However, the another teacher said that I shouldn't use other sources because those would influence my analysis. Which one is true?!?!?!

Please guys, I really need help!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiomaker)
    my topic is "Faustian elements in Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray". I'm doing it in A2 English. I was going to compare goethe's faust to dorian gray and analyze the texts. But I have a question...One of my teachers said that you also need to use external sources other than the two texts to support your argument. However, the another teacher said that I shouldn't use other sources because those would influence my analysis. Which one is true?!?!?!

Please guys, I really need help!:confused:
    I would check with a third teacher.

But here are MY two cents:
    im guessing that you wouldn't use outside sources since the EE is supposed to be your investigation into these Faustian elements in Dorian Grey (i love that book! hahah) and how you think it applies to meaning.
    My friend is doing her EE on English too (HL A1 though- but I don't think that makes a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong though) and she's comparing two short stories--and I'm pretty sure those were the only two sources she used.

ReputationRep:
    well I did mine in A1 (does that make a difference) and I used loads of outside resources. I had a 2 pages bibliography (mostly internet resources) that when my supervisor saw it, he put a huge comment on it, "A mighty bibliography, did you use all of these?". HE obviously meant for me to cut it down but I didn't. I kept my whole huge bibliography.

That said, there were quite a few points that I made in my EE that were definitely taken from secondary resources. I dont see why you cant use secondary resources because sometimes they have really good points that you might not have thought of. just reference them where they are due.

I got 28/36 (a B).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. Now another teacher said that you have to compare texts that have to be written in their original language. I was going to use Goehte's Faust but now I can't. Do you have any suggestions to which book I should compare "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" with??

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    you can compare it with Faust.

Two of my friends are doing comparative a1 lit essays.

One is doing Angela Carter comapred with MArquis de Sade (in translation)
    and the other is doing William Golding compared with Tayeb Salih (originally written in English, i think, though i can't be sure)

Provided one of the texts was first written in English, it's allowed by the IB. The school checked with the IBO and everything.

Unless you know different?

ReputationRep:
    My essay topic is regarding endangered species, some of which have numbers that are so low they essentially no longer serve any purpose in their environment. I will talk about their social impact, the consequencesif we give up on these "useless" species -- having people lose faith in the whole conservation effort altogether.

I can't decide if this should go under Environmental Systems or Social Anthropology. Does anyone here take either of those courses?

ReputationRep:
    Title: Road Rage
    Subject: Psychology

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in IB1, but I do have a number of ideas floating around in my head.

I might want to do something about colonialism in the 17th and 18th Centuries. Either something about how the different cultures were affected by the arrival of the Europeans mirrors their state in the modern world.

Another topic was exploring the discovery of America and who really did it first. Was it really Columbus, or could the Chinese/Phonecians/Vikings/Early Europeans have done it first?

Another one would be the history of the English language and how it went from a second-class peasant language to the mighty language it is today.

I'm always thinking of them, and I started writing ideas down last year so I won't be in a jam later.

I wish I could do the same with college application essays here....

ReputationRep:
    just an observation, if you're doing the Colombus/Chinese/Viking one, don't say 'discover America'. I've had this drilled into my head ever since eighth grade social studies: No one "discovered" the Americas, Colombus/the Chinese/Vikings etc explored it. Discover would imply that it was lost or "covered". It was not. It always existed and people jsut didn't realise it existed. Use 'explore'.

ReputationRep:
    hi y'all!

First year IB student from Sweden here! I'm having a hard time to come up with a topic for EE (as many others). I want to write in English or Theatre Arts, though I don't take theatre arts 'cause we don't have it at my school, but anyway...what about english? I'm thinking Shakespeare, but what to write about? Please, i really do need help! I will have my coordinator as supervisor, so I must have a very good idea when i talk to her!!

luv //jo

________________________________ ______
    May 2008
    English A2 HL
    Swedish A1 HL
    French B SL
    Economics SL
    Maths Studies SL
    Biology HL

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.