Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    there is one magic rule

all the words you put into tables don't count :p:

so that was my method. now i regret the time i spent doing it...

and why 170 pages ? i had many many methods. one of them - linear nearest neighbourhood took about 30 pages [MORE or less ] so yes... there is nothing to explain i suppose. the rest of the pages was occupied by the choropleth maps, index of dispersion stuff and so on. ha ha and every single diagram [besides pie graphs] was done hand-made :rolleyes:

many of those methods i applied also in ee, so it a little scary to see how many mistakes i did in fieldwork :| anyway, it has scored 'a' [we will see whether it won't change]

i want to finish my ee and forget about such kind of geography for at least some time - i MUCH MORE prefer physical part of it or at least human, but not economical

enough! i must really go back to my tok presentation work =.='

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I used that magic rule to the fullest too, to the point where I wondered if I pushing it. But I did SL so I was only allowed 1500 which meant a hellish time of editing. I prefer human geog to physical geog.

I think you should get a good grade for all the pain spent drawing diagrams/maps. good luck with ... well, everything.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Just joined the forum today. I am currently in Grade 10 and i will be starting Grade 11 next august (2007). We will start on the EE in January 2008. our school hasnt officially talked to us about the EE (just finished my Personal Project) and i have a year left b4 i even start EE.

but i wana choose my topic now and get started... i always do stuff in advanced :mad: my personal project was to create an instant messaging program like MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, gtalk, etc... so i wanna do my EE on something related to IT. we dont have computer science in IB, we have ITGS. i wanna do my EE on either Math, physics, ITGS or chemistry. i have already chosen my subjects for IB even though we arent supposed to! i will take:
    English SL
    french SL
    Chemistry SL
    Physics HL
    Math HL
    Economy/Business HL

could u guyz pls give me some ideas for my EE.

thanx

ReputationRep:
    lol. you're a bit too in advance. but no harm

if you want to do something to do with ITGS/that instant messaging project of yours, maybe do the impacs/effects of IM on communication methods/teen communication/something along that line? just a very vague suggestion. I didnt take ITGS.

if you're going to do EE in Phys or Chem, do an experiment. that's the first advice. always do an experiement and not a research essay for science EE.

Math...I'm not sure. you need to choose a general topic first.

ReputationRep:
    effects of IM on wasting teens lives even though they are quite happy to sit for hours infront of them??

ReputationRep:
    is it true u get low mark if u do it in math? thats wat i understand after reading this thread... for math my choice is cryptography... talking abt the mathematical aspects of cryptographic algorithms

ReputationRep:
    i think it's rather quite difficult to write an ee on any math's topic that would satisfy the examinator...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBitious)
    i think it's rather quite difficult to write an ee on any math's topic that would satisfy the examinator...
    Yeah its true, maths is hard for EE.

And lol @ examinator - I like it...!

ReputationRep:
    anyone in here got 'A' in their math EE??? if any of u did math could u plz tell me abt ur topic question (PM me if possible). is the EE marked by ur school supervisor or the IBO. could someone explain the marking system for me?

thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)

tell me i'm wrong :p:

anyway, it is also a problem with finding a good supervisor - our teacher avoids the topic of writing ee by any1, no matter how good you are at mathematics.

but i am just a narrow-minded polish grl xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alamin000)
    anyone in here got 'A' in their math EE??? if any of u did math could u plz tell me abt ur topic question (PM me if possible). is the EE marked by ur school supervisor or the IBO. could someone explain the marking system for me?

thanx
    my friend did her EE in Math on RSA cryptography. she got a B (something lower than 28/36 since that's what I got and my EE was the highest grade in the class)

anyway, EE - you get a supervisor, usually a teacher who teaches the subject of your EE. supervisor helps you (this varies more or less with individual, the amount of time they're willing to spare you).

end of day: supervisor gives you predicted grade which doesn't necessarily mean anything or does anything to affect examiners' grading. on your official cover sheet that goes with your EE, supervisor gets a space to writer comments on the progress of your working on EE, how he/she thinks you did. this is guide examiners in their grading of one of the criteria (can't remember which one, H or something). anyway, your EE is sent away, marked by 2 examiners. if no problem you get a grade. if problem it gets sent to another examiner then la di da, after a while, you get a grade out of 36. voila!

EDIT: general perception is that its hard to get an A in a Math EE. there's this disparacy between how much 'math' and how much 'essay' you can include in your EE that's considered relevant and sufficient. I'm not sure *why* it's considered so hard to do a Math EE but then again, I don't like nor am I good at Math

ReputationRep:
    thank you HMSChocolate...

wat if we try to solve an unsolved math problem (like the goldbach conjecture) for the EE.

lets say i try to solve the goldbach conjecture but i dont find a solution but i show a lot of process (different approach on solving the problem)... can i still get good grades?

do the examiners care about your process or your result? or both?

ReputationRep:
    i was told they care more about processes and personal engagement than results.

otherwise my ee will be a crap.

ReputationRep:
    lol. I dont think they would expect you to find a solution to an unsolved problem that hundreds of mathematicians haven't found the answers to.

but I dont think you should just do a whole EE devoted to the solving of a particular conjecture like that. I'm not sure what they look for in a Math EE but I've got a hunch that what you've suggested might not be what they're looking for. ask a math teacher/IBC for specifics. there's subject-specific criteria for marking EE..

ReputationRep:
    since i haven't chosen my subject yet... (still in grade 10)

can u guyz tell me wat subjects (and wat levels) i should take if i want to study computer science at uni??

wat if ur EE topic is really simple? do they take into account the difficulty of the subject when they mark ur EE?

PS - thanx again for ur replies

ReputationRep:
    Well, obviously take Comp Sci HL. Probably Maths HL.

there's no 'simple' EE topic. It's all about whether you answer your question/hypothesis well and sufficiently in the word limit that you've got. your topic is either too broad (too much to write about, not enough word available) or too narrow (too little to write about) or focussed enough for a balanced essay (4000 words, which is really not a lot when you get into it).

the trick is to get a general topic/idea, then start research/outline/writing, then, narrow/broaden (usually narrow down) the title as you write. you make your title fit the essay you're writing and the information you have rather than trying to write an essay desperately to fit a title that you've chosen before you did research and have no idea what information you'd get.

wait. on second thought. that might a little more relevant to subjects like Eng (which was my EE subject) and History where the scope of your essay can change dramatically. but for investigation/experiment based subjects like the sciences obviously you'd need a hypothesis which you'd do the experiment on. not exactly sure about other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)
    Yeah its true, maths is hard for EE.

My maths teacher told me that it's quiet eay actually.. even though he hates me , because he thinks I'm an idiot because I'm SL and anyone who is not a math geniuse he will automatically dislike, he actually started running the guilt trip on me for not chosing to do my EE in maths, since I was supervisorless last september and rpactically begged all teachers to accept me for EE:P
    I dunno he made it sound like an A in maths was pretty easy... he might be wrong, or i might have sensed it wrong bt w/e

ReputationRep:
    No one at my school is doing their EE in Maths. But I suppose that is because our maths department is horrible. Actually maybe it is just that not many people in IB at my school are very Maths - Science-y, considering only one person out of 67 is doing Maths or Science.
    I suppose though Geography can be like sciences, like my EE, it is like a giant Practical report, because I am comparing the water quality of a river between the rural and urban areas, which has data collection and analysis.

I went off on a bit of a tangent there sorry.

ReputationRep:
    you werent off tangent. this is the EE thread. you talked about EE. (now this was off topic)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean that I was going off topic, just that the post went off in a strange direction.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.