Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    no...am totally clueless about fractals except the fact that they're beautiful so can't help really

ReputationRep:
    i m in IB1 n my coordinator asks to hav a topic by march..but i m kinda strugglin coz dont really know wat to write on. the only two areas tht i m interestd is business management or something related to the city i m livin in which is Beijing....but i heard many ppl say tht Business is really hard to write on...does anyone know whether business will be a good choice?? my english is lang.A SL, so dont kno if tht level can do the business extended essay..
    if nyone knows pls help!!
    thnxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    What subjects do you do?

I'd suggest History, but then that's because I love history and I have rather an obsession with Chinese culture and history (well, mostly through Chinese historical dramas).

ReputationRep:
    the subjects i hav taken
    HL math, B&M, chinese lang B
    SL chemistry, physics n eng lang A

i dont hav history..although i like it but dint take it coz of the complicated names n dates tht got to be remeberd....
    for me math chem n physics r all too 'mathematical type' n i think thts gonna take loads of time...n since lang aint my strength i m left with Business...
    any advice??

yeah i like some dramas...just in case u havnt seen it..i recommend KANG XI DA DI it means The great emperor KangXI ...i really like this one in particular..

ReputationRep:
    my extended supervisor doesnt want to correct my economics EE cuz he is too lazy.
    what can i do????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotix)
    my extended supervisor doesnt want to correct my economics EE cuz he is too lazy.
    what can i do????
    Common problem. Bug him.

if that doesn't work, find another teacher to supervise. If you can't I'm afraid you just have to stick to the criteria.. that's the best bet.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about EE in English B? Did anyone try?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lomi)
    the subjects i hav taken
    HL math, B&M, chinese lang B
    SL chemistry, physics n eng lang A

i dont hav history..although i like it but dint take it coz of the complicated names n dates tht got to be remeberd....
    for me math chem n physics r all too 'mathematical type' n i think thts gonna take loads of time...n since lang aint my strength i m left with Business...
    any advice??

yeah i like some dramas...just in case u havnt seen it..i recommend KANG XI DA DI it means The great emperor KangXI ...i really like this one in particular..
    I've heard of it and I'd see it if I could find it English subtitled or Vietnamese dubbed (which is probably easier to find). But I don't think this one aired in Vietnam yet (or it did and I missed it), and I think Qian Long is a more interesting emperor. But I digress.

Well I can't really advise you on BM, considering I didn't take the subject. Fancy doing English A1 EE though?

(Original post by robotix)
    what can i do????
    Agree with Paradiddle. If all else fail, complain to your IBC (who in theory should be able to make your supervisor pay you some attention).

(Original post by ollapl)
    What do you think about EE in English B? Did anyone try?
    not impossible, especially when your English should be good enough considering you're doing the diploma in English.

ReputationRep:
    discuss the success and effectiveness of combining classicla and contemporary architecture, with particular reference to the 'Victoria and Albert' and the 'Britsih' museums in london

visual arts

was alrite, found it quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    Psychology

"Why do people love"

I actually kida like writing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinsesseAstrid)
    Our Ib coordinator said although a bibliography with like 40 books might sound impressing, the signal it sends out to examinors is really something like "i know u won't be able to check all these references anyways" which means the likeliness of your quotes/references beeing misrepresented to support your thesis is bigger. On the other hand, if you have a bibliography of say 5-10 books, this signals that you have done thorough research without being in over your head (remember you should comment on the reliability of the sources u use, with 40 books that will be difficult) and also that you've referenced correctly, because with this number of books, you know the examiner will be able to check your references.

Was that very messy? Sorry... :P
    uh will they check the sources? i mean they cant buy each book and look thru it right? just the websites?

ReputationRep:
    they wont check. but a bibliography of 40 books does seem rather big and unrealistic. However I think 5-10 is a bit limited. I'd say around 8-15. The point of the EE is your're stupposed to read and research widely (well according to my history teacher).

ReputationRep:
    I had around 20 sources for mine, mostly books. It depends really. If you have 60 references and your essay is crap then you still won't get the marks. They don't grade the references do they? Might contribute towards the holistic stuff.

Lots of people in my grade only had 4-12 and they wrote good EEs.

Haha, Voopeem, that sounds like an interesting EE title.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm plannin to write an essay on somethin related to Metal (the music).. first I wanted to examine and defend the music after all the stereotyping it has gone thru.. or maybe write about its history, musical roots and how it has developed as a full-fledged genre since black sabbath etc..

then i thought i'd maybe examine norwegian black metal closely along with all the stuff thats in its history eg the church burnings in Norway etc..

really confused as to what this all comes under definitely not a Music essay.. perhaps history.. can anyone help narrow it down ?

ReputationRep:
    help! i need to come up with a ee topic for bio. was thinking abt doing something with genetics but can't really think of an experiment... any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jullia)
    help! i need to come up with a ee topic for bio. was thinking abt doing something with genetics but can't really think of an experiment... any suggestions?

Thought of becoming a 21st century Mendel? :p: I wouldn't recommend that though. Lots of work.

Genetics is not the most straightforward subject for an EE eh? You can probably do gel electrophoresis and compare people's DNA's to their parents'. Or maybe plant DNA. That's also a lot of work. You should pick something simple and interesting as a topic. I didn't do any of those and it was a bit of a pain for me.

Enzymes would be straightforward.. Hmm, how about looking at the rate of yeast respiration when you provide them different types of sugars? Then you can compare the differences and why (maybe less genes to code for enzymes that digest certain sugars?). I don't know.. I'm just rambling here...

And IB-seed, I think that would mostly come under history if you want to look at how the culture evolved and events that triggered the changes. But if you want to focus on the music itself then it's obviously music.

ReputationRep:
    well i dont think i've as much patience as mendel , just think genetics is quite interesting.. but i dont know.. right now i'm thinking about doing my ee in english and comparing heroines in jane austin's novels.. heard its easier to write an ee in a language and that language ees generally get better grades... aw i'm so confused... thanks for the enzyme + sugar idea though, will elaborate on that if i cant think of anything else..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jullia)

Well i did an ee which was slightly genetics orientated. I focus was on how blood type varies depending on the place of origin of people's ancestors. It turned out horrible. No matter how many people you interview you will never have enough data to make a valid conclusion so basically I wasn't able to prove anything with it. If I were you I would go with lit.

ReputationRep:
    Question to all who did an Extended Essay:
    How many pages did your EE take up? and was it neatly coiled in a book or just normally stapled together?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I had mine coiled with a plastic covering, but it was only 15 pages because it's a Lit essay. but since it's such a major assignment I think it looks better coiled.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.