Turn on thread page Beta

IB Students: What are your extended essay topics? watch

ReputationRep:
    okay, here's the nitty gritty: i want to do a topic that combines both theoretical physics and a theory of life or the world. (?) i'm having a problem because i don't know what to put it under, if i can put it under anything at all. i know that if you don't put it in the right category or if its pulled between two categories, the proctor might not ever read it (or so i've been told). so... i don't know what to do. any help would be really really welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seibutsusen)
    okay, here's the nitty gritty: i want to do a topic that combines both theoretical physics and a theory of life or the world. (?) i'm having a problem because i don't know what to put it under, if i can put it under anything at all. i know that if you don't put it in the right category or if its pulled between two categories, the proctor might not ever read it (or so i've been told). so... i don't know what to do. any help would be really really welcome!
    proctor...:laugh: examiner they're called. I know, same difference but really...

theory of life...that sounds a bit ambitious of you. does that mean you don't intend to do an experiment for your EE? because that's not advisable for a science EE. in science they want you to conduct actual experiment not write a purely theoretical essay.

as for your fear that if you don't put it under the right subject examiners don't read it, wrong. Examiners have to read and mark whatever EE are sent to them. Ultimately you will have to put your EE under a subject, and the examiner will mark your EE according to the criteria for that subject. If you happen to put it in the wrong category, your EE will probably not score well in the subject-specific criteria only.

I don't think you can put your EE under two subjects.

ReputationRep:
    If you EE bridges to subject then it almost imposible to get a good mark because the criteria is different for different subjects so you won't be able to treat the topic affectively and that will mean that you lose marks in the general criteria. So, unless you are a super freaky genius I would advise against it and even if you are your still unlikely to get an A, sorry

ReputationRep:
    hiya guys, im doin my EE n english. im reading kite runner. can somebody help me find a topic for that book? pls. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simone21)
    hiya guys, im doin my EE n english. im reading kite runner. can somebody help me find a topic for that book? pls. thanks.
    I haven't read that book but I'll just say that they like comparisons for english EEs.

ReputationRep:
    okay... i know i already posted, but just a question: its more on theology (actually its Holism) versus theoretical physics (ie Mach's principle). you can't really test theoretical physics -atleast this one... (unless you can find a way, lol). so... could it lean more to the theology than of science?

ReputationRep:
    um i might be wrong but i think you'd struggle to get a good mark for a theoretical science ee that didn't have any data or anything, let alone one about theology. i don't actually know anything about physics though...

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need data and an-experiment-like essay/lab write-up for physics if you want to get a good mark. Which I guess you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seibutsusen)
    okay... i know i already posted, but just a question: its more on theology (actually its Holism) versus theoretical physics (ie Mach's principle). you can't really test theoretical physics -atleast this one... (unless you can find a way, lol). so... could it lean more to the theology than of science?
    So that would be a World Religions EE, but I suggest that you stick to a topic that is fairly and squarely within the one subject otherwise you won't be able to effectively treat the topic, to the subject guide criteria, to the depth needed within the 4000 words

ReputationRep:
    everyones doing there extended essays in english! mines in bio...im gonna look at how the diet of different women from different age adn income groups effects their health in india...ive done so many servays its crazy...is anyone doing their ee in another language other than english?

ReputationRep:
    @seibutsusen: they really do stress on experiment, data-based essay for Group 4 essays. If you do a purely theoretical essay you would not, as other have said, get a good mark. If you try to make it lean towards another subject just to justify your lack of experiment, you end up with an essay dangling between 2 subjects which again would not score well. So I strong suggest you either make your essay title into one that fits completely into a none-Group 4 subject if you want to do a pure theory essay, or try to get a topic that would enable you to do some lab work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.O.N.D.E.R)
    Hmmm, if u want to do EE in Biology and something about plants, I have an idea for you, try to do germination on different seeds, and investigate how does the size of the seed effects the germination rate under different conditions. We were doing germination for lab report, and we noticed that although the white beans are larger in size their roots and stems are smaller than in chickpea seeds. But since we all finished our EE, nobody used this idea and our teacher said that it would have been excellent topic because it is easy and smart at the same time. So try and think about it, but do research in the beginning :rolleyes:
    ok wait if i tried ur experiment wouldnt tht mean im having 2 independant variables so how can i say that the results are exclusive to one of them. do u mean i grow different types (sized) of seeds and then see how they germinate differently with respect to their size?...
    i am seriously lost eh?
    oh thanks for the idea btw...am such an ungrateful person lol.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give suggestions for a Physics EE?
    the teacher says its better to have a lab but i have no clue what kind of labs
    are advisable for the EE..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva)
    And that's what you should do. It's so much easier to write the essay if you actually have proper (amount of) data ;yes; Plus it's a lot more interesting for you if you do the essay on something not too obvious and so actually 'get involved' in it...So don't just go for the easier experiment - afterall you're an IB student ;laugh; And the title is what makes the first impression (which we all know is VERY important).
    IMO it's quite obvious if someone's trying too hard to get even the minimum amount of words down. Now that would not be a 'biologically smart' essay, lol.
    If you've gone through the method and think it's doable, then you should be fine with your topics.
    so u think i should go thru with it? cuz the method is seriously easy...thts wat scares me...its TOO easy. like my frend is like inoculating some tomato plants with a retro virus and stuf...and my teacher is like wat an awsm project and like to mine i think she finds it too bland but wont say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toothpaste)
    so u think i should go thru with it? cuz the method is seriously easy...thts wat scares me...its TOO easy. like my frend is like inoculating some tomato plants with a retro virus and stuf...and my teacher is like wat an awsm project and like to mine i think she finds it too bland but wont say.
    Which one of the two are you thinking of doing then? The method does not have to be so complicated that you need to go to a special lab (where you might not be allowed to mess around anyway) to get the data, i think both of yours sound okey. But are you only going to test the plant growth with and without the growth hormone/ bacteria, or investigate the effect different amounts have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva)
    But are you only going to test the plant growth with and without the growth hormone/ bacteria, or investigate the effect different amounts have?
    im gonna do the one with the rhiz. bac. and do 2 experiments with and without the bac. if it just gives me a simplistic result like the ones without had no root nodules and the ones with the bac did then i will try it at different concentrations etc.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm...anyone know what we actually have to do for a math EE? so far I havent been able to understand that lol...
    For good topics I heard probability, fractals (altho I have no idea what to do with them...) and other geometry stuff...

ReputationRep:
    suggestion: PM aimee_22 - she did her EE in maths. I don't think she comes in this thread but worth a try asking her for some general starting advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi every1, i am doi my EE in english, i know its about euthanasia ! and thats all !, so if anyone has any idea wut side i should talk about or any ideas about it , i would appreciate it alot ?, and finally is it the subject itself worth it (writing 4000 words ?)

ReputationRep:
    english A1? english B? which one?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.