Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Afua, do there happen to be any Islamic communities in your area?

If so, see if you can... well, 'dive in' and interview people. That way you have a specific topic which you can easily work with, with fresh primary data for a more psychological point of view.

If not, you can take the historical approach, though personally I think structuring and writing the essay in this sense might be more difficult than the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paradiddle_man)
    Specific stuff like that tend to be graded highly and it sounds very noble of you to do research that as well. Go for it
    Thanks a lot for the reply..i will definately move ahead with it..

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my extended essay is in the psychology department, and I already started writing about how aging causes memory loss. Now how could I twist this so it could be appropriate for my extended essay? Because it there has to be some sort of argument. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Afua, do there happen to be any Islamic communities in your area?

If so, see if you can... well, 'dive in' and interview people. That way you have a specific topic which you can easily work with, with fresh primary data for a more psychological point of view.

If not, you can take the historical approach, though personally I think structuring and writing the essay in this sense might be more difficult than the former.
    there is a small one...but I'm worried I won't know enough about Islam to do a decent paper...

ReputationRep:
    Afua, I really suggest you try and see how much you can manage with the local community. It's important that you acknowledge that receiving primary data from an actual community will prove to be much easier to deal with -- as you said you are not entirely familiar with Islam, so writing a historical research kind of paper might prove difficult.

(Original post by Aquasports)
    Ok so my extended essay is in the psychology department, and I already started writing about how aging causes memory loss. Now how could I twist this so it could be appropriate for my extended essay? Because it there has to be some sort of argument. Thanks.
    Is there any chance you could use a couple of subjects to support the psychological theory?

Remember to keep it small scale and to make sure you're not just writing a load of theory down. Although the IB awards originality, it certainly does not award whimsical theories and such, so you should try and see if you can back up the argument by using several people as examples (e.g. test them, ask them some questions regarding their past experiences and compare them, etc)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing mine on the causes of the french revolution namely "how far were economic problems behind the french revolution?" I don't think any topic can be too cliche i mean I've seen ones on Stalin, the Reichstag Fire etc which were brilliant. A lot of people just dismissed mine as boring which really worried me but as long as the research is good and you actually are interested in the topic then you're fine I think. My one question though is- although it might sound silly- how exactly does the appendix work? I mean I've only written my 1st draft and am over the word limit by 300 or so words so I need to cut it down and am very inspired to put some into the appendices. But what exactly are they aimed for? Very confusing....
    Has anyone else here done their extended essays on the french revolution?

ReputationRep:
    Appendices are there as additional information for the reader. However, by additional information, it means information that may be useful but not necessarily to the context that you placed the sentence in. It's a bit different for historically-related EEs though (for science EEs it could be additional information concerning a different scientific law, or extra graphical information which may not have been relevant).

And personally I think your topic sounds interesting, randomness, as I like the French revolution myself... it's up to you to make sure the reader finds it interesting as well.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that theoretical physics essays are the hardest to get good grades on. However, I am not really interested in doing an experiment.

I have just now started the IB, and I will have to choose soon my topic. I have some ideas, but I wonder if anyone could help me refine them?

I am quite interested in the some of the new methods of space travel that are being thought of/tested now. I especially like the concepts on solar wind, and the solar sail. But, I am unsure of how to pose this into a proper question that could let me write a successful essay.

I was thinking on maybe doing research on how the material of solar sails could be improved to make them more efficient. Does this sound acceptable?

(Sorry for all the questions.)

ReputationRep:
    So i've been thinking about my EE topic a bit, but i really don't know anything about the EEs yet (i'm new to IB) I was thinking about writing it on "the effects of different types of music on plant growth". I can't decide if its a good idea or not though...any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    can any1 please help me with my ee on physics? I am planning to do it on projectile motion, but so far i got no more idea to expand it on. And the due date is 2 more days . All help is appreciated. Ty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prozak72)
    So i've been thinking about my EE topic a bit, but i really don't know anything about the EEs yet (i'm new to IB) I was thinking about writing it on "the effects of different types of music on plant growth". I can't decide if its a good idea or not though...any suggestions?
    The IB doesn't offer a course in quack science. Try do something that might actually work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurk)
    The IB doesn't offer a course in quack science. Try do something that might actually work.
    Well I think it sounds like an interesting idea. If you could prove that certain types of music accelerate plant growth, and patent the method, you would become a millionaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Appendices are there as additional information for the reader. However, by additional information, it means information that may be useful but not necessarily to the context that you placed the sentence in. It's a bit different for historically-related EEs though (for science EEs it could be additional information concerning a different scientific law, or extra graphical information which may not have been relevant).

And personally I think your topic sounds interesting, randomness, as I like the French revolution myself... it's up to you to make sure the reader finds it interesting as well.
    Aaaw thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomness)
    Aaaw thank you
    No prob :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have to finish a 2000 word draft in about two weeks and I don't even know what my topic is. I've looked into it the past couple days. I'm thinking of doing history. I want to do something about the China wall. I was thinking my title could be something along these lines, "An analysis of the Great Wall of China" or "To what extent was the Great Wall of China necessary for the protection of Chinese dynasties?" Any suggestions or comments about the topic or title would be very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman1569)
    Hi, I have to finish a 2000 word draft in about two weeks and I don't even know what my topic is. I've looked into it the past couple days. I'm thinking of doing history. I want to do something about the China wall. I was thinking my title could be something along these lines, "An analysis of the Great Wall of China" or "To what extent was the Great Wall of China necessary for the protection of Chinese dynasties?" Any suggestions or comments about the topic or title would be very helpful.
    Much too broad.

Possibly look at a single attempted invasion in which the Great Wall of China played a part. (Don't know much Chinese history, so I can't point you to anything specific.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to investigate the resonance frequency of an LC circuit.
    However, I do not know how to connect the circuit to an oscilloscope (cuz i'm trying to actually measure the resonance frequency)
    Can anyone tell me?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a chemistry HL extended essay? I was planning to do vitamin C deterioration in orange juice, but it didn't work Can anyone help, please?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of doing an EE in history, but i don't know if my topic is suitable..does an EE on someone who died sometime around the nineties count? Or more recent? like mother teresa? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahwalker)
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a chemistry HL extended essay? I was planning to do vitamin C deterioration in orange juice, but it didn't work Can anyone help, please?
    Google it up. There are loads of example topics (although lots are crap).

How about comparing the caffeine content in coffee/tea that has been brewed in different water temperatures?

There's always the excess coffee that's useful if you're going to stay up and write the EE

Something that's related to current events are good too. Comparing the energy content of biodiesel to normal diesel? Ethanol 85 to petrol?

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.