Turn on thread page Beta

IB Students: What are your extended essay topics? watch

ReputationRep:
    I decided to do my EE in chemistry as I had future intentions to go into medicine, like you. Although initially reluctant, when my teacher realised that I was going to do it in chemistry, and wasn't backing out of it, she began to help me and was actually very helpful - she began suggesting improvements to my title before I had even decided on a topic, eventually helping me come to the decision on: "An Investigation into the Best Methods to Find the Purity of Aspirin".

MY advice is, keep on pushing and pushing, asking for more and more advice, and when your teacher knows that you want to do it in that subject, they should come out of your shell.

Also, for medicine, i would recommend as chemistry topic, as [B] human and animal biology topics are very hard to do, and often very difficult to carry out experimentally in the school lab.

ReputationRep:
    guys i need help choosing a topic. its the 2nd year now and i havent started it. i want to do it on something like the effects of some psychoactive drugs on the behaviour. or you know, something like that. Please help me choosing a topic.

and btw, do you think its hard to do the essay on the topic i said or similar topics?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    do u mean drugs like medicine, or drugs like heroin, cocaine...?

ReputationRep:
    for the medicine one you could have dont something about the theory behind natural medicine, or how modern medicine developed from it.

i feel really sorry for all you IB guys so the ee, i can write essays for ****. good luck to all fo you

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Massau, very often people who are interested in the field of Biology and want to undertake some elementary research to support their EE will find that you'll end up doing something more Biochemistry-related, on the chemistry side.

@Sina: That looks really difficult to do! First, it'd be pretty difficult to find subjects who will be willing to take the drug... secondly, it's tying in biology, psychology and chemistry which is against IB criteria (i.e. they want to see you clearly focusing on one group subject).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    I agree with Massau, very often people who are interested in the field of Biology and want to undertake some elementary research to support their EE will find that you'll end up doing something more Biochemistry-related, on the chemistry side.

@Sina: That looks really difficult to do! First, it'd be pretty difficult to find subjects who will be willing to take the drug... secondly, it's tying in biology, psychology and chemistry which is against IB criteria (i.e. they want to see you clearly focusing on one group subject).
    what about mine that is on history of mathematics (mathematical bases of ancient egyptian pyramides) and i am also writing some basic facts from history (only the amount that is realy needed for understanding the essay...)

but it is still some history. in mathematical essay...

it is written in the guidelines for mathematics EE that it can be from history of mathematics...

(though i completely agree that it would be hard to examine drug effects...you should choose something easier to do!!! i heard that some examiners just give C to all the essays or some of them, because they get tons of them...they just dont read them all so why suffer too much when writing it?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Jemma*~)
    hey, im just begining to think about my extened essay, cos im in the 1st year of the IB, i am proably going to do it in ITGS, but i want to include sumthin of economics in it too, got any ideas? thanks..
    I m a new ib student n stil out of choice boat which extened essay to choose

ReputationRep:
    wow,damn. then i guess that option is out! lol

then what should i do? just want to get it done, i dont care

i like psychology and IT , but i'm stuck, cant find a good and easy topic to do

ReputationRep:
    well, i would like to do my ee in geography
    my topic:
    Migration of people from and to a city on an example of Bydgoszcz (in Poland) - the effect of push and pull factors on this area.

it's not a final version of my topic - i have to correct it in some way. what do u think bout it?
    i'm in huge troubles because of deadlines. i havent started my ee yet because i don't know what to do and what to write. can anybody help me for example in creating plan of writing or sth? T_T

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to come up with a new topic for my EE, as our class has to begin approaching our subject teachers soon.

I'm not sure exactly what the title would be, (Perhaps something like 'orbit analysis of rogue asteroids') but I'd like to track and plot the orbit of 4-6 asteroids, and then analyse whether or not the orbits of the asteroids would pose a threat to Earth in the future.

I reckon that since I have to do observations and work on my own that it could get a good grade from the IB....

Has anyone got any opinions or suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    you'd have to check that it is possible to track and check that asteroids yourself, also that there are 4-6 asteroids to track at one time, and also show that you've done it yourself rather than get the figures off the internet, which would show much more personal involvement

ReputationRep:
    I am doing mine in economics . It's due in December so not too far away.

An analysis of the benefits and costs of the Fair Trade banana market in The Netherlands: including a case study of The Oké Fruit Company's financial developments.

I decided to do this topic because the Fair Trade market is so new and controversial. And people of the TSR be responsible and DO NOT buy fair trade goods!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massau)
    you'd have to check that it is possible to track and check that asteroids yourself, also that there are 4-6 asteroids to track at one time, and also show that you've done it yourself rather than get the figures off the internet, which would show much more personal involvement
    Yeah, I've looked into that bit, and I've found a database that lists asteroids that have been sited and given numbers, but nothing more is known about them. There's also software that can be used to calculate the orbit of an asteroid or other body after there's sufficient data points from different observations.

So, I think all those things would show I've done work myself... I hope, anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flash 4)
    I m a new ib student n stil out of choice boat which extened essay to choose
    Hm, maybe English???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    So, I think all those things would show I've done work myself... I hope, anyway...
    best check with your IBC anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massau)
    best check with your IBC anyway
    I will do that, but do you think the idea behind the topic is sound?

ReputationRep:
    hi...does anyone have english EE samples? do you mind passing them to me? Planning to do my EE in either english or business and management...wanted to look at some examples on english...thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    I have now officially handed in the Final Version of my EE in English B! Wihuu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I will do that, but do you think the idea behind the topic is sound?
    Definitely. Most of the physics EE I see my friends doing are horribly dull -- capillary action in different tissue papers, pendulums, tennis balls and temperature (i.e. they just didn't want to take it further than the theory/lab syllabi).

Good luck on your EE, Rainfaery. You've chosen a great topic.

ReputationRep:
    is it true we aren't allowed to do it on any controversial topics in case it offends the examiner?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.