Turn on thread page Beta

IB Students: What are your extended essay topics? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm still on my first year of IB, so I haven't really decided yet. I was thinking of choosing a topic within English, but my teacher told me that it is really hard to get a good grade for English. So I'm not sure, I might choose biology instead.

ReputationRep:
    you should aim to write your essay on what you plan to do in university..it gives you alot of leverage and shows that you actually ARE interested in the subject...for example if your planning on engineering write about physics/chemistry(if your thinking of chemical engineering) and so on.
    It will also give you something to talk about during interview's etc...and it basically sets you apart from ALL the other applicants because none of them would have written anything like an EE...it shows your
    a) interest
    b) knowledge

of your chosen uni subject etc...because remember, in the end your only doing this to get into a good uni !

ReputationRep:
    Always be careful about showing your EE to universities should they want to interview though. My sister who was interviewed at Cambridge a couple of days ago told me that one of the guys who applied for Engineering showed the interviewer his physics EE and it was completely mauled to pieces by the interviewer :p:.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably really off topic here... :eek:

But for my Extended Essay... I'm doing it on maths... and I'm having ALOT of trouble, and I'm already halfway through my IB

I was planning to do something on the rubik's cube and algorithms... but I don't understand the books I've got on it :confused:

Advice anyone?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do my extended essay in either History or Biology, however if I do it in Biology it has to be an experiment and I don't think I'd want to do this as most of my work will take place over the summer with little access to school labs.

For a history topic, is this reasonable? How did the discrimination against left-handed people in England transform from 1910-1990? hmm or else something to do with How different countries' geographical and historical positions affect their suicide rates.. Or something about the removal of the Cane in British Schools, the Union Carbide MIC incident and its effect on future generations of Bhopal, the legality of Euthanasia in Switzerland, something about Adoption maybe etc. Something I will want to read extensively about.. I don't know.. I'm really struggling :[ my classes are

English A1 SL, German B HL, Math SL, Biology HL, History SL, Chemistry HL

ReputationRep:
    My extended essay is on the Simpsons!! Im doin it in English A2.
    Almost finished

ReputationRep:
    i got a few ideas, for physics EEs

1) about freefall and terminal velocity

-the deformation of a object during the freefall and at the point where it hits the ground (terminal velocity?).

-compression of the object during the freefall period

2) the physics of frisbee

-how the frisbee works (aerodymanics)

3) speed of sound in different substances~

what do you guys think?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    the fist two sound difficult to measure, I think the speed of sound one sounds good (no pun intended!! honest! )

ReputationRep:
    I guess its too late to change the subject for Extended Essay after 1 year eh?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Joii x3)
    I guess its too late to change the subject for Extended Essay after 1 year eh?
    you need to consider a couple of things;
    1) whens the deadline
    2) is there anything you can think of doing (and have ALREADY done enough research on?)
    3) Will the school let you
    4) Can you get a tutor person thingy

ReputationRep:
    I'm so stuffed for my extended essay... all the research I've done make no sense...

thanks for the advice tho, but my school isn't being very nice lately

ReputationRep:
    i did mine on the the future of renewable energy sources in zambia. it had a lot of potential, i could have done so much with it but as usual i left it all to the last minute. i ended missing school on the day it was due in basically to finish it off!
    so yea, my advice to ib people who havent done theirs yet...start now! ib deadlines suck

ReputationRep:
    Handing mine in tomorrow. The biggest thing that's stressing me out is printing/photocopying 84 pages (3 copies), cause my printer ran out of ink and now my school's printers and photocopiers are going to be *swarming* with IB students.

On top of that we have an A1 English Mock Exam tomorrow morning. The day it's due. It's veeeery frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    my topic that i have handed in is in computer science

"64-bit Computing vs. 32-bit Parallel Computing for Home Use"

this is exploring two full system packages, where one utilizes a 64 bit processor and another uses multiple 32 bit processor (limited to 2 and 4 processing units for the home front) and compares their effectiveness in home applications

ReputationRep:
    My extended essay title is: How relevant the theoretical concept of the elasticity is to the real world Russian oil industry? I have lots of books that from which I can find good information, and I also have lots of ideas by myself, but the problem I met is that it is hard to find some historical data. One books gives me some historical data on Russian oil industry, but except that book I cant find some historical data on domestic demand of Russian oil, global demand on Russian oil, etc.

I have added there some kind of approximate values on calculating the elasticity based on the data that I know from other years. How do you think, does this affect to my mark of EE? It would be quite a annoying that if this would put the mark down after long work, lots of interviews and tens if hours spent on reading internet articles and books.

ReputationRep:
    I just handed mine in (FINISHED YAY!!!). It's in English A1 about the significance of forest settings in the lord of the rings.

ReputationRep:
    Just handed in mine as well. It feels soooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooood .

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Does anyone have any sample EEs on english and biology? Can't decide on which topic i want to do my EE..thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did mine on the problems of archiving email on public servers, and methods of removing some of the risk.
    3970 words, ITGS.
    It was... fiendish, to do. xP

ReputationRep:
    my school doesnt have that many subjects, if anyones done their EE in maths... plz reply!!!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.