Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    mine's on art "to what extent has chinese feng shui applied in contemporary korean interior design in their homes?"

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm doing the essay this year and my topic is probably going to be on the analysis of the European witch hunts and the Salem witch trials. I was wondering if this is a good topic to do or will it give me a low score ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    My advice in history, and this very much is restricted to history, is that your bibliography is etremely important (especially if you are doing a popular topic, as you need to prove that you know more than the other candidates writing on it). Many examiners look at your bibliography first, and if you have one with say 30 or more texts it is bound to have a good first impression.
    Our Ib coordinator said although a bibliography with like 40 books might sound impressing, the signal it sends out to examinors is really something like "i know u won't be able to check all these references anyways" which means the likeliness of your quotes/references beeing misrepresented to support your thesis is bigger. On the other hand, if you have a bibliography of say 5-10 books, this signals that you have done thorough research without being in over your head (remember you should comment on the reliability of the sources u use, with 40 books that will be difficult) and also that you've referenced correctly, because with this number of books, you know the examiner will be able to check your references.

Was that very messy? Sorry... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinsesseAstrid)
    Our Ib coordinator said although a bibliography with like 40 books might sound impressing, the signal it sends out to examinors is really something like "i know u won't be able to check all these references anyways" which means the likeliness of your quotes/references beeing misrepresented to support your thesis is bigger. On the other hand, if you have a bibliography of say 5-10 books, this signals that you have done thorough research without being in over your head (remember you should comment on the reliability of the sources u use, with 40 books that will be difficult) and also that you've referenced correctly, because with this number of books, you know the examiner will be able to check your references.

Was that very messy? Sorry... :P
    Yes, that does make sense. But I have another question, I've heard that for a History EE you need an annotated bibliography? Is this true, and if so, what does it consist of? Personally, I think this would be the only way to get a good score on Criterion J (Historical Sources), but I have never done an annotated bibiography before. Sorry to bug you all about this, but my coordinator did a very poor job at explaining this.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    On which topic do students get high marks for the extended essay? I am planning to do mine on music and I was wondering if the likelihood of getting an A is relatively high on this topic?

Also, is anyone else doing his/her Extended essay on music or anyone who have done it on music?

ReputationRep:
    The rule of thumb, I believe - is that if you write on a topic that is unfamiliar to the marker, you'll stand to get greater marks. Subject regardless. Through maths markers seem quite prejudiced.

Physics - Light penetration through (clay/water) mix as function of particle size and concentration of clay. (B)

On that note, I'd recommend doing nothing that has to do with light intensity...

ReputationRep:
    biology: the affect of total darkness on the rate of photosynthesis

ReputationRep:
    i have chosen to do "whether picasso or marcel duchamp had a greater influence on modern art" i know i still need to narrow it down a bit but i was thinking it would give me a bit of a boost in the originality department. do you think that was a good choice?

ReputationRep:
    Mine's in Film... A new course to the IB so at present only those studying the subject can do their EE's in it. It's also pretty cool 'cos as it's a new course not many EE's have been written so gives me more space to have an original topic...

My topic is Tim Burton as a cult film director and I'm talking about like his style of movie making and stuff.

It's due tomorrow so I better get back to it... Haha... :p:

ReputationRep:
    History: "To what extent can the events of 8 December 1987 be considered the catalyst to the Al-Quds intifada?"
    Yeah.
    God I'm glad I'm done with IB, but it's true that it prepares you for university work really well. Hell, I was able to pull an quasi EE (3000 words) in a weekend...

ReputationRep:
    I write in visual arts and I am struggeling to pick between these titles;

How does UCB use art to get peoples attention?
    Why does UCB go to such extremes with its advertisement art?
    In what way can UCBs advertisements be art?
    Can UCBs advertisements be presentet as art?
    How does UCB use advertisement art to promote, not only their clothes, but also their opinions?
    Why does UCB choose to not show their clothes in their advertisement art?
    How UCB use art in their advertisements to state their opinions?
    The way art is used in advertisement, with focus on UCB.
    Can advertisement be art? With focus on advertisements from UCB.
    How does UCB use provocative art in their advertisement?

UCB be United Colors of Benetton.

Do you have any suggestions for me? What I should pick, or anything that is not on my list?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    History - to what extent was the displacement of German population from Sudetenland necessary in relation to the political and social situation in Czechoslovakia during 1945 -1948?

My first draft is due on 29th August and I haven't done a single bit for it yet (apart from collecting the materials) why the hell do we actually have to do the ee over the summer holiday? I can see that most of you guys have time till January

ReputationRep:
    Information Technology In A Global Society : What is ‘Open Source’ and how has the ideal affected Microsoft

ReputationRep:
    Mine's in English: 'Male Identity in the 19th Century Thriller'. I've just completed my first draft (just as well, because its in tomorrow!) but I've got a real talent for avoiding the question...

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! This is my first reply on the student room, but I need serious help. The outline of my extended essay is due in a week and i haven't got a clue as to a topic. i want to do it in chemistry but everything i think of is way too complicated. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please reply!

ReputationRep:
    If it's too comlicated, contact your local university, and see if you can use their resources to do it. What kind of things did you have in mind that turned out to be too complicated?

ReputationRep:
    I picked topics that could not be specified by one specific subject such as glass: my advisor said any topic I could pick would also have to delve into physics. I think I may just extract the fat content from waterproof and nonwaterproof lipstick and compare the two. I know it sounds simplistic but I'm trying to get the local university to help. My teacher said to be careful about that because one of her old students was a genious and she did a brilliant paper and she got a c. Ths school paid for an appeal but didnt win, they said the paper was too good to be done by a highschool student. Ridiculous, right? So I'm kinda apprehensive about using a universities resources. My teacher suggested to me to do the factor affecting the rate of crystallization of copper (ll) sulphate pentahydrate so I might do that as well. Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    My topic is... To what extent are anxiety disorders cultural? Think that I can get 4000 words on it? I need some advice!

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do an EE on law??? I want to do patenting of higher life forms and related issues...or can we consider this subject part of history or bio?? I'm so confused..NEED HELP!!!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.