Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Even if you do stick to the criteria, it's very hard to guarantee a good EE grade.

And even if you do have a good supervisor... it's still hard to guarantee a good EE grade...

And if you have an apparently decent and original research question... well... it's still hard to guarantee a good EE grade

I was almost sure my research question was doomed to be mediocre, as it wasn't until I collected my results and analysed them all that I realised that there wasn't really any practical application of my entire investigation... and it wasn't until a week before deadline when my supervisor helped me to consider how I could fix that issue. We met loads of times before that, but she wasn't very helpful, despite being a fantastic geography teacher. In any case, I ended up with a B, which is 'good' according to the IB :p:

Anyway, my original point was not to try and predict your EE grade at all. Most of the notoriously intelligent students in my grade either got a C/D or an A it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrap)
    I'm doing the antioxidant potentials of organic and conventionally grown garlic. Chemistry but I've heard it will be hard to get an A
    Sounds vaguely similar to mine (biology), which was to do with vitamin C concentrations of various types of raspberries (organic, frozen, tinned etc).

ReputationRep:
    Really, How did you do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrap)
    Really, How did you do that
    Basically mushed all the raspberries up, diluted them, added starch solution, and then did a titration using dilute potassium iodide solution. Recorded the amount of potassium iodide required for the reaction to complete.

Did the same using ascorbic acid solutions of known concentrations to draw a calibration curve and thus determine the concentration of ascorbic acid (vit. C) in each solution.

Took a bit of playing with to get results - the solutions were all v. diluted - but it seemed to work in the end.

How do you plan to do yours?

ReputationRep:
    Crush the garlic and strain with water to make a solution.
    Then use Pottasium permanganate and a spectophotmetre to create a standard curve. Mix them and then use the spectophotometre.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously. How do you come up with such... deap (?) topics. I am only just starting to apply to take the IB but I am just wondering. Some of them are pretty intense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicholascook1993)
    Seriously. How do you come up with such... deap (?) topics. I am only just starting to apply to take the IB but I am just wondering. Some of them are pretty intense.
    Well, I think it's because people are revising their topics afterwards, because they get a larger vocabulary after studying the topic. I actually changed the topic in the middle of the process to save work, but my first topic was
    Why quintics aren't solveable , then I revised it to
    Why quintics aren't solveable by radicals ,then I revised it to
    Why some quintics aren't solveable by radicals

Then I switched topic to an easier topic, because it got too long and the end was too hard. i switched it to the best topic i could find that required the same theory, so I could keep the start of my essay.
    "How to prove The Three Greek Construction Problems to be impossible"
    Then as there are other ways to prove it, not necessarily easier I revised it to
    "How to use extension fields to prove The Three Greek Construction Problems to be impossible"
    And by now it's quite hard for someone without knowledge of the topic to know what the heck I'm talking about.

Just choose something you want to write about that interest you, and is focused enough. Then you will end up revising the topic title later to a more appropriate one.

ReputationRep:
    English A2 - Use of language and experimental writing in the 1960's Beat Generation

the title will change somewhat, but it's still generally what i'm writing about tho

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am in my last year of IB and I have no idea what to do for my extended essay.
    I've been looking at this and other forums all morning but got nothing!

Ahhh, all I know for sure so far is that it'll be in English A1, and that I am going to write on the book "Blindness" by Jose Saramago, anyone else read it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pistachio9)
    Hey,
    I am in my last year of IB and I have no idea what to do for my extended essay.
    I've been looking at this and other forums all morning but got nothing!

Ahhh, all I know for sure so far is that it'll be in English A1, and that I am going to write on the book "Blindness" by Jose Saramago, anyone else read it?
    wait, how can you be in your last year and still not have a topic? I have to give in the finished essay at the 12th, plus the addition of this viva voce.

I personally haven't read the book, but I read about it. of what I understood the book is mostly a metaphor for a social commentary of sorts, comparable to works like 1984 or Brave New World. you could maybe explore how does the writer comment, and what is he actually commenting on, or comparing the same with the other two works I mentioned.

such an approach makes quite good sense, also considering that you being A1 are given more freedom compared to A2. I simply HAVE to have a language component in my EE, which I find somewhat limiting.

ReputationRep:
    History EE: How was Japan able to strengthen itself successfully following the Meiji Restoration?

ReputationRep:
    English A1 HL EE: The representation of God and religious imagery in Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake.

Got an A 35/36 marks! IB year 1-ers: Don't worry, its seriously not as difficult or challenging as people make it out to be... just GET IT DONE IN THE SUMMER BEFORE IB2!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm only in IB1 (I guess that's what you call it--it's junior year here!), but I'm thinking about doing something with Wedekind's Spring Awakening. I was thinking maybe the anthropological constructs of the characters, but since that could be crossing two topics, I don't know if I could.

ReputationRep:
    heya all! wow, as you can see im a nube and therefore have just discovered this forum. My topic was on finding the mass of the Higgs Boson at which i did! (on a computer simulator ahem) hehe. I don't think I'll get a high grade for it though, at my school we are forced to do it over 3 days and like...thats it. how long to you lot get out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    guess I might as well post mine: "Investigating the respective relationships of Spacing and Conductance of Wires in Electromagnetic Shielding against Specific Microwave Wavelengths" was rather dull (think I altered the title last minute to something better but can't remember). And the experiment failed so I had to do it theoretically to come to a conclusion ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceW)
    heya all! wow, as you can see im a nube and therefore have just discovered this forum. My topic was on finding the mass of the Higgs Boson at which i did! (on a computer simulator ahem) hehe. I don't think I'll get a high grade for it though, at my school we are forced to do it over 3 days and like...thats it. how long to you lot get out of interest?
    You do the EE over three days?! That's insane, are you sure that's not your Group IV project?

I think the EE is meant to represent about 40 hours of work. This includes everything from background research and reading to experimentation (if appropriate), writing up your results, and putting it all together.

We got briefed about it in January/February of IB1 year, and were expected to complete it over the summer (with experimentation etc all done before the summer holidays).

In actual fact, though, the deadline wasn't til December. My supervisor wasn't too bothered and didn't push me for work at all - the way it's meant to be - so it wasn't until September until my practical work had been done, and I wrote most of it up over the October half term. Handed a complete draft in at the beginning of November, and the final copy a few weeks later.

Getting it done over the summer would've saved so much hassle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceW)
    It took me 3 or 4 days just to get all the results from my experiment... wow.

But how can you do an extended essay based on something from a computer simulator???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rite)
    It took me 3 or 4 days just to get all the results from my experiment... wow.

But how can you do an extended essay based on something from a computer simulator???
    its allowed coz its just like a science experiment only on a comp, the only thing i have to add is alogorithms/where i got the simulator from.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my EE in physics, the topic is:
    "Investigating the field penetration on a type II superconductor in superconductive state when exposed to magnetic fields of different intensities"

I'm not quite sure about it though, I am sure that I want to make my EE about the Meissner effect (I even made my YBaCuO tablet already) but I'm not sure on how to make a good question D:
    could someone lend me a hand with this?

I came up with another research question, and I think it's the right one (since the other one was much too difficult to experiment). It goes like this:
    "What would happen to a system composed of a strong magnet and a superconducive material that presents the Meissner effect when changed to a vertical or upside-down position?"

Let me know what you think about it please (I'm still taking suggestions for other questions)

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question for you: what do they ask you for the viva voce?? I'm doing my EE in bio & I'm really curious.. who is there at the viva voce; how long does it take? and what basically do they ask you?[/I]
    thank yoooooou!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.