Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    its quick questions-v-
    viva voce is a concluding interview for ur EE (which IBO stresses on). Well ur supervisor/ur IB coordinator may ask you why you choose this topic/ RQ/ What r ur results and what do they mean/ why you choose this method to prove ur hypotheses/ What do you conclude/ What did you learn in doing the EE/investigation, etc.
    Normally it takes around 15 -20 min depending on ur subject.

ReputationRep:
    We were given 5 days in school to do our EE, out of lessons and everything. It was quite easy to finish in the time given, some of us found time to watch episodes of 24 most of the time instead of working! :p:

My title was, "What were the physical factors that caused the Tacoma Narrows bridge to collapse?" which ties in to my Civil Engineering course. Found it fascinating....:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe...)
    We were given 5 days in school to do our EE, out of lessons and everything. It was quite easy to finish in the time given, some of us found time to watch episodes of 24 most of the time instead of working! :p:

My title was, "What were the physical factors that caused the Tacoma Narrows bridge to collapse?" which ties in to my Civil Engineering course. Found it fascinating....:o:
    They let you off school to do your EE? We have all of 12th grade and 13th grade up to some point in november to do our EE, but none of it is done during class time. The first draft of the EE was due the day after my birthday and I'd barely started, so guess what I spent my 18th birthday doing. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    i have the viva voce tomorrow. from what i understood it's basically an overview for your EE. also, to check for any plagiarism (i.e. your talking about it will prove that you didn't copy, which is complete bull but oh well). nothing too special to worry about really.

ReputationRep:
    Just handed mine in!! woot woot!! what a load off!

it was in economics:
    How did the lifting of the trade embargo in 1994 affect the Israeli confectionery market?

ReputationRep:
    Well my title was
    "To what extent has the innovative exploitation of materials/fabrics/textiles and controversial designs of British fashion designers Julien MacDonald and Alexander McQueen drawn on Vivienne Westwood and Karl Lagerfeld to shape the young avant-garde fashion visionaries of today?"
    and after my Viva Voce which was back in november, my supervisor said she was giving me aa/ab which means i should get a three points for EE, which would turn out as 1 extra point hopefully, god such a load of work for 1 point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego_IB)
    Well my title was
    "To what extent has the innovative exploitation of materials/fabrics/textiles and controversial designs of British fashion designers Julien MacDonald and Alexander McQueen drawn on Vivienne Westwood and Karl Lagerfeld to shape the young avant-garde fashion visionaries of today?"
    and after my Viva Voce which was back in november, my supervisor said she was giving me aa/ab which means i should get a three points for EE, which would turn out as 1 extra point hopefully, god such a load of work for 1 point.
    very cool, what topic?

Love some of McQueens work, his level of creativity is astounding.
    http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_2003.462.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    very cool, what topic?

Love some of McQueens work, his level of creativity is astounding.
    http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_2003.462.jpg

Well it was in art. it was possibly the easiest essay i've ever written, i think i handed in one draft then made changes and was done. APART FROM my supervisor making me repeadtly reprint it cause there was some some sort of ink trace on the back of each piece of paper. i think i reprinted something like 8 times, complaining all the way. What a waste of paper.

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing my first year of IB and my teacher is HAUNTING us!!! We have to decide which topics our EE have to be on NOW. I chose English A1...I'm seriously clueless to tell you the truth (I just did it because I'm doing English HL). I thought of comparing an Arabic novel (translated of course), with an English novel O.o ... The Arabic book is called "Men in the sun" by Ghassan kanafani , its about the 'Palestinian struggle', Google it if you want to find out what it's about (not that anyone would bother). It's composed of imagery and has plenty of symbolism. Kanafani also has an intriguing way of writing, he keeps on flipping from past to present (kind of reminds me of Chronicle of a Death Foretold). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should compare it with? And would comparing a novel with a translated peice somehow, just somehow gain me extra marks?

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    God an idea just popped in my head! What about comparing Mahmoud darwish's poetry with ermm lets say...I don't know...some poem with a similar theme? God im soo confused!

ReputationRep:
    i wanna write my ee in biology but cant decide a topic

im thinking somewhere along the lines of

"the effect of different stimulant drugs of cellular levels"

or

"the effect of different stimulant drugs on the epitelial cells of plants"

good or no?????

ReputationRep:
    Biology? hmmm have you heard of memory water? It sounds like a good EE topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamoutloud)
    Biology? hmmm have you heard of memory water? It sounds like a good EE topic
    Memory of water is a) not biology b) has been proved time and time again to be bs..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibstudent101)
    i wanna write my ee in biology but cant decide a topic

im thinking somewhere along the lines of

"the effect of different stimulant drugs of cellular levels"

or

"the effect of different stimulant drugs on the epitelial cells of plants"

good or no?????
    Dude, just use the same font as everyone else.

The research question is meant to be very specific, so bear that in mind when choosing it.

ReputationRep:
    ooopps ok then sorry about that. A friend just mentioned it to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Dude, just use the same font as everyone else.

The research question is meant to be very specific, so bear that in mind when choosing it.

so if i choose a specific drug (nicotine and caffine) and a specific plant (possibly a bean plant to make things easier) would that be good??

ReputationRep:
    so if i choose a specific drug (nicotine and caffine) and a specific plant (possibly a bean plant to make things easier) would that be good??
    Sounds much better, yeah.

There's nothing to stop you investigating the effects of more than one stimulant (eg. comparing nicotine to caffeine to any other legal stimulants you can get your hands on), but it might be worth defining what exactly you're measuring - eg rate of growth or something.

Eg. "An investigation into the effects of <stimulant(s)> on the growth rate of bean plants."

It's probably worth having a chat with your biology teacher about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Sounds much better, yeah.

There's nothing to stop you investigating the effects of more than one stimulant (eg. comparing nicotine to caffeine to any other legal stimulants you can get your hands on), but it might be worth defining what exactly you're measuring - eg rate of growth or something.

Eg. "An investigation into the effects of <stimulant(s)> on the growth rate of bean plants."

It's probably worth having a chat with your biology teacher about it.
    thankyou soooo much!! that helped a lot

ReputationRep:
    ok can someone PLEASE help me with my previous post. The English EE one.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou soooo much!! that helped a lot
    No worries, and best of luck with it!

(Original post by dreamoutloud)
    ok can someone PLEASE help me with my previous post. The English EE one.
    Woah, chill out.

1) It's a Saturday night. Most people are out doing something - if I wasn't absolutely exhausted from rugby earlier, I would be too.

2) Especially as this forum is pretty quiet, becoming impatient after less than an hour isn't going to help.

3) I know precious little about English EEs, but as general advice I'd say that you should pick texts that you genuinely enjoy. If you're stuck, have a chat with your teacher about it.

Would comparing a novel with a translated peice somehow, just somehow gain me extra marks?
    No. The quality of your essay will get you the marks.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.