Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I'm chilled out alright. Watching the dark night (best movie EVER) and munching popcorn. Anyway thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh, i should be panicking but for some strange reason im not.
    i start school on tuesday (will be in 2nd yr of IB - yay >.>) and im stuck.
    my subject for ee is bio and not only did my topic crash and burn, but my 2 backups did as well.

topic #1: comparing the effects of caffeine derived from coffee beans to guaranine
    this crashed and burned because they're THE SAME THING (only found out recently, had been so focused on caffeine...yer, i deserved it.)

topic #2: whether different types of coffee beans have an impact on the short term effects of caffeine

this could have worked except im not exactly sure what procedures i should use to actually figure out the amount of caffeine in the beans in the first place - any ideas on how to proceed with this idea, please tell.

topic #3: is fluoride really a poison?
    most of the research done on fluoride is on humans, if i was to conduct an experiment it would be on PLANTS. major risk factor = considering the amount of "equipment" i have available aka my dodgy school lab because my ee teacher failed at getting us access to uni labs, aside from observations of what happens to the poor plant, i cannot come up with a way to test for the amount of fluoride within the plant (eg. leaf samples or something)
    see the brick walls? if you could provide me with a bulldozer for any of them, PLEASE DO! ILL LOVE YOU FOR IT.

so now, im pondering on the option of proving that the darwin theory of evolution is WRONG (i have access to legitimate evidence). the problem is that this topic is incredibly controversial and im not sure if i should approach this topic at all. and even if i do, theres no experimentation involved...opinions please?

ReputationRep:
    well, if you can disprove evolution, surely you shouldn't be worrying about a little EE? Also, the poison thing seems a little strange/wrong (even thought it is only a question).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelleee)
    ahhh, i should be panicking but for some strange reason im not.
    i start school on tuesday (will be in 2nd yr of IB - yay >.>) and im stuck.
    my subject for ee is bio and not only did my topic crash and burn, but my 2 backups did as well.

topic #1: comparing the effects of caffeine derived from coffee beans to guaranine
    this crashed and burned because they're THE SAME THING (only found out recently, had been so focused on caffeine...yer, i deserved it.)

topic #2: whether different types of coffee beans have an impact on the short term effects of caffeine

this could have worked except im not exactly sure what procedures i should use to actually figure out the amount of caffeine in the beans in the first place - any ideas on how to proceed with this idea, please tell.

topic #3: is fluoride really a poison?
    most of the research done on fluoride is on humans, if i was to conduct an experiment it would be on PLANTS. major risk factor = considering the amount of "equipment" i have available aka my dodgy school lab because my ee teacher failed at getting us access to uni labs, aside from observations of what happens to the poor plant, i cannot come up with a way to test for the amount of fluoride within the plant (eg. leaf samples or something)
    see the brick walls? if you could provide me with a bulldozer for any of them, PLEASE DO! ILL LOVE YOU FOR IT.

so now, im pondering on the option of proving that the darwin theory of evolution is WRONG (i have access to legitimate evidence). the problem is that this topic is incredibly controversial and im not sure if i should approach this topic at all. and even if i do, theres no experimentation involved...opinions please?
    1) Don't do number 3.

2) Is this straight from New Scientist this week? The whole point of the EE is to do some primary research yourself; using someone else's work won't get you anywhere.

3) Why don't you compare the concentration of caffeine in different types of coffee beans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walrusgod)
    well, if you can disprove evolution, surely you shouldn't be worrying about a little EE? Also, the poison thing seems a little strange/wrong (even thought it is only a question).
    mm well there is some alarming evidence out there which does disprove evolution...but i dont think i should go into that at all...
    the only reason why i considered fluoride was simply because theres a huge debate going on in our area (queensland, aust.) as they want to add fluoride to our water ways. looks like the idea will be trashcanned in the end.
    but thanks anyway i think ill be following through with caffeine in coffee beans, once i nail the procedure (thats IF i can find out how - any tips or advice?)

(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    1) Don't do number 3.

2) Is this straight from New Scientist this week? The whole point of the EE is to do some primary research yourself; using someone else's work won't get you anywhere.

3) Why don't you compare the concentration of caffeine in different types of coffee beans?

thanks heaps for replying!
    do you have any advice regarding what procedures i should follow to acutally find the concentration of caffeine? (my supervisor isnt being very helpful, ill be asking all the other sci teachers at school - when i go back to school)
    and no, i dont read New Scientist it just happens to be something that i thought of :p:

ReputationRep:
    mm well there is some alarming evidence out there which does disprove evolution...but i dont think i should go into that at all...
    What evidence? And since when does evidence disprove things?

ReputationRep:
    thanks heaps for replying!
    do you have any advice regarding what procedures i should follow to acutally find the concentration of caffeine? (my supervisor isnt being very helpful, ill be asking all the other sci teachers at school - when i go back to school)
    and no, i dont read New Scientist it just happens to be something that i thought of :p:
    No problem

I have no idea whatsoever. Google it and see if there are any standard procedures for it...

ReputationRep:
    my EE title:
    A Comparative Analysis between the Cinema Markets in Malmö, Sweden and Busan, South Korea:
    Why are Movie Tickets for the Movies Produced in Hollywood more expensive in Malmö than in Busan?

handed in before christmas. i am so glad that is over. :]]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    my EE title:
    A Comparative Analysis between the Cinema Markets in Malmö, Sweden and Busan, South Korea:
    Why are Movie Tickets for the Movies Produced in Hollywood more expensive in Malmö than in Busan?

handed in before christmas. i am so glad that is over. :]]
    *Yawn*

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm planning to do an extended essay on ITGS with the research question "how can distributed computing software help find cures for diseases". Is that a good topic to do it on?or are there any other recommendations? thanks

ReputationRep:
    is that the foldit protein thing? i'm not sure if you could get a good 4000 word essay out of that, if that's what you're referring to, but i'm not really sure, it depends how much you know/can find out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a math freak so I compared the usefulness of important mathematical constants [pi, i, and e] to important mathematical patters [golden rectangles/ratio and Fibonacci sequence] we had to turn ours in in November and mine was just a little bit over 3,000 words :]

ReputationRep:
    hi i'm planning on doing my extended essay in biology
    i have to have a well-defined topic by tuesday and well i'm still not sure,
    does anyone have an opinion on what i'm thinking:

I want to focus on nutrition, and therefore i thought of taking a specific food (not decided yet) and then inserting an enzyme into it and measuring the pH or the concentration or something like that.

And could a possible title be:
    What is the effect on the ...... by inserting 'enzyme X' into 'specific food Y'?

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisaxx)
    hi i'm planning on doing my extended essay in biology
    i have to have a well-defined topic by tuesday and well i'm still not sure,
    does anyone have an opinion on what i'm thinking:

I want to focus on nutrition, and therefore i thought of taking a specific food (not decided yet) and then inserting an enzyme into it and measuring the pH or the concentration or something like that.

And could a possible title be:
    What is the effect on the ...... by inserting 'enzyme X' into 'specific food Y'?

Thanks so much for the help in advance!
    that sounds pretty simple . . . .
    it sounds like an in class lab we did in ib1 >.< (80 minute class)
    i think you need to make it more complex and something food specific and you also need to justify why it is worthy of your time and the examiner's time of reading your EE
    my friend did saliva pH after taking different types of pastilles... that was pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    um hi i am doing my ee in maths and i've a nice topic; but the problem is, my topic is not innovative. i mean it has been researched by three mathematicians throughout the world, so far. i thought that i found sth new and extraordinary when i realised the subject (i didn't get any help about it, i made it up in my brain). so, would it be still a good topic? i aim getting an A; but still i wont be sad for a B. i mean does the essay have to be really innovative?
    i am really wired right now.
    thank you in advance..

ReputationRep:
    Dont expect yourself to get A on EE as i know most people find it difficult to do EE on maths as most of them are already facts and less to investigate about. Well whats your topic? if it is researched by 3 mathematicians dont do it coz its plagarism. Innovative is good but it will only make an EE good if it is investigatable and not just talking.

And btw why dont you have a group 3 subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    Dont expect yourself to get A on EE as i know most people find it difficult to do EE on maths as most of them are already facts and less to investigate about. Well whats your topic? if it is researched by 3 mathematicians dont do it coz its plagarism. Innovative is good but it will only make an EE good if it is investigatable and not just talking.

And btw why dont you have a group 3 subject?
    well i do not think it is plagiarism. plagiarism is doing Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V (copy-paste). if you think my topic is a product of plagiarism, then your fact-writer friends would be doing plagiarism too.
    i dont understand why i may not expect myself to get an A; as i do not have an ordinary person's look towards maths. it has been my best course and my national-international olympics field. i am just somehow irritated by the fact that my idea has been already found by three mathematicians. it is not that our ideas are completely same, i just thought i had set foot on a deserted area, thats all.
    thanks for your ans anyway.

i do not have a group3 subject because i am not as lucky as other ibers. in my country, one cannot study ib alone, one has to study national curriculum as well. ther is no other choice, except for studying national curriculum alone. in national curriculum, there are definite borders between tracks (science or turkish literature) and ther is no g3-like subject in science track. for that reason, we do not have a g3 subject. guess ibo made an exception for us.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it in Business & Management , topic - " Should the Indian government subsidize on oil and gas for Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited ? "
    good enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd1729)
    well i do not think it is plagiarism. plagiarism is doing Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V (copy-paste).
    Not necessarily - plagiarism extends beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd1729)
    well i do not think it is plagiarism. plagiarism is doing Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V (copy-paste). if you think my topic is a product of plagiarism, then your fact-writer friends would be doing plagiarism too.
    i dont understand why i may not expect myself to get an A; as i do not have an ordinary person's look towards maths. it has been my best course and my national-international olympics field. i am just somehow irritated by the fact that my idea has been already found by three mathematicians. it is not that our ideas are completely same, i just thought i had set foot on a deserted area, thats all.
    thanks for your ans anyway.

i do not have a group3 subject because i am not as lucky as other ibers. in my country, one cannot study ib alone, one has to study national curriculum as well. ther is no other choice, except for studying national curriculum alone. in national curriculum, there are definite borders between tracks (science or turkish literature) and ther is no g3-like subject in science track. for that reason, we do not have a g3 subject. guess ibo made an exception for us.
    you could try, but then well you'd have to source them or say how the other three mathematicians perceived the thing in question and compare how htey thought and how you thought. so that the examiner can compare =]

but it's a risk you are running... math EE's arent common and they usually dont get top marks . . .

but it's a risk with every subject tbh. because you dont really know what THAT examiner wants.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.