Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzzz)
    Anyone done or thinking of doing their EE on Quantum Physics?
    I really like that topic (currently studying it at school), but I don't think it's really suitable for an Extended Essay, since you can do almost no experiment on that topic, and IB prefers experimental EE.

Try find something on mechanics, waves or electricity, which are the most "affordable" topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiess)
    Re: topic question

"To what extent can the notion of Liberty in Ayn Rand's Objectivism be considered Libertarian?"

Wasn't very fun, but at least I'm done.
    what topic was that? Im doing Ayn Rand too, but her use of Objectivism and Altruism in The Fountainhead... I love it so far

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm think of doing my ee in math but i have no idea what to do. i've heard people talk about chaos theory and a rubic cube.... help anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzzz)
    Anyone done or thinking of doing their EE on Quantum Physics?
    I wouldn't recommend doing that. Generally, experimental EEs in the sciences perform much better than theoretical EEs, and there is no way you can really do an experiment for Quantum Physics. I sort of worked around this rule by reinterpreting data for my EE (I did it in astrophysics) but I'm not sure this would be possible for quantum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I wouldn't recommend doing that. Generally, experimental EEs in the sciences perform much better than theoretical EEs, and there is no way you can really do an experiment for Quantum Physics. I sort of worked around this rule by reinterpreting data for my EE (I did it in astrophysics) but I'm not sure this would be possible for quantum.
    Can I ask how well you did? If you know or want to
    I'm split between physics and philosophy for my EE. Mainly tending towards philosophy at the moment, but I'm also interesting in astrophysics and that seems an interesting topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darunia9)
    Can I ask how well you did? If you know or want to
    I'm split between physics and philosophy for my EE. Mainly tending towards philosophy at the moment, but I'm also interesting in astrophysics and that seems an interesting topic
    Well, I took data that had already been collected on magnetars (their x-ray luminosity and magnetic field strength) and then reinterpreted it. So it kind of counted as an experiment, because there was data analysis, and I had to talk about error and whatnot.

Edit: I just realised that I misread your question. I'm not yet sure how I did, as I won't get my results until July. If you're still deciding on a topic then, I wouldn't mind sharing my grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    what topic was that? Im doing Ayn Rand too, but her use of Objectivism and Altruism in The Fountainhead... I love it so far
    Well, good for your xP I'm lazy, lazy, lazy and I didn't enjoy the process much.

Anyway, I put it under philosophy/political philosophy, though I don't know how yours would be classified because you're studying how they contribute to the novel. Eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiess)
    Well, good for your xP I'm lazy, lazy, lazy and I didn't enjoy the process much.

Anyway, I put it under philosophy/political philosophy, though I don't know how yours would be classified because you're studying how they contribute to the novel. Eh?
    my english teacher said it would be considered English A1, but maybe I'll have my IBC check with IBO...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Rainfaery thanks for your reply.

Yeah, im thinking that too now actually. Its an abstract concept and too difficult to fully understand, so I dont think its feasible.

Any thoughts on how I can link my EE in someway to Computer Science/Electronic Engineering (which i would like to do at uni).

Another idea i had for a physics EE along the Quantum line, was doing smth about the wave/particle duality of light.
    I could talk about the actual physics behind it, the theory, and its importance in the quantum world etc.
    I could also incorporate an experimental approach by carrying out the double-slit experiement, collect data and intepret it and etc.

What do you think about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzzz)
    Hi, Rainfaery thanks for your reply.

Yeah, im thinking that too now actually. Plus, it'll be quite difficult to grasp the concept, and den to write upto 4000 wrds bout it and acutally add a personal intepretation to the theory is just trying too much lol.

I guess I'll then have to abandon my attempt to link my EE in someway to Computer Science (which i wna do at uni). Any thoughts?

Another idea i had for a physics EE along the Quantum line, was doing smth about the wave/particle duality of light. I could also incorporate an experimental approach by carrying out the double-slit experiement, collect data and intepret it and etc.
    I have read 'A Brief History of Time' by Hawking, so I do have some sort of background knowledge about it lol.
    I could also talk about the actual physics behind it, the theory, and its importance in the quantum world etc.
    What do you think about that?
    Do you have the equipment to be able to carry out the double-slit experiment? Also: what would you analyse? The double-slit experiment has been done countless times, and fairly well explained. You'd have to be very, very certain that all of your physics is correct, because it would be easy to lose big points for messing that up. You'll also need a lot more knowledge about quantum than what you get from reading 'A Brief History of Time'.

On the whole, I'd probably suggest choosing another topic. Quantum just really isn't that good of an idea for an EE, because it's hard to make it experimental without big and expensive equipment you more than likely do not have access to. Do what I did, and do astrophysics, or something with electricity and magnetism.

I'm not really sure about computer science, as I don't take that as a subject. You could probably google and find some ideas, though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the equipment to be able to carry out the double-slit experiment? Also: what would you analyse? The double-slit experiment has been done countless times, and fairly well explained. You'd have to be very, very certain that all of your physics is correct, because it would be easy to lose big points for messing that up. You'll also need a lot more knowledge about quantum than what you get from reading 'A Brief History of Time'.

On the whole, I'd probably suggest choosing another topic. Quantum just really isn't that good of an idea for an EE, because it's hard to make it experimental without big and expensive equipment you more than likely do not have access to. Do what I did, and do astrophysics, or something with electricity and magnetism.

I'm not really sure about computer science, as I don't take that as a subject. You could probably google and find some ideas, though.
    Yeah, agreed. Quantum isnt the best option to write an EE about. Im totally confuzzled now lol

Maybe, i could do something linking Electronics and Physics. Topics like 'Digital Technology' and 'Electric Currents' are part of the IB physics syllabus. So, maybe smtn like, exploring laser technology. Or maybe looking at Semiconductors, but which would be a bit of mess as to what subject it should be entered under. Yeah, i'll search around for suitable topics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my EE on chemistry, and I was thinking about doing it in acids and bases (broad topic)

i was thinking about investigating soil buffering abilities in different areas, but i've seemed to completely confuse myself, so if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know.

also, are there any good back up areas i should look at?

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at doing a physics EE, probably something along the lines of time travel, or maybe dark energy. Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbite)
    I'm looking at doing a physics EE, probably something along the lines of time travel, or maybe dark energy. Any recommendations?
    Read the EE guide, you'll see those topics are not recommended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbite)
    Bad idea, more than likely. Theoretical EEs never score as well as experimental EEs, and both of your topics would be theoretical. I would choose something where you can at least reinterpret data. I did my EE in astrophysics, and just used data already collected.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any good chem suggestions :puppyeyes:

Will rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    Anyone got any good chem suggestions :puppyeyes:

Will rep.
    Do biology :tongue:

You could do something on rates of reactions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Do biology :tongue:

You could do something on rates of reactions?
    Why biology? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    Why biology? :p:
    Oh, never mind. Do chemistry then.

I was under the impression you'd want to do something interesting...

:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Oh, never mind. Do chemistry then.

I was under the impression you'd want to do something interesting...

:tongue:
    :rofl:

Are you trying to say chemistry is not interesting :haughty:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.