Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm in my first year of IB and brainstorming for a Biology EE topic.

1) In my school, tests on vertebrates and basically large organisms are forbidden due to animal rights. I had a friend who had an excellent proposal of the testing of caffeine on dwarf hamster reflexes, but it got rejected and so now she's testing on microorganisms instead. I feel so sad whenever i see her at the lab dripping drops of coffee into water tanks and measuring the heart rates of daphnia...that sucks for me. Anyway, I'm off topic again.
    In your schools, is it also forbidden to do experiment on vertebrates for EE?

2) Please share your Bio EE Topics, I'd love to see them. Currently I'm working on Protoplast Culture but I may change.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    so i'm still thinking about my EE
    i was going to do economics, like sort of how media trends affect the economy.
    so like rihanna got that a-line bob and so a whole bunch of ppl got their hair cut like that = more business for haircutters = economic simulation
    or something like boys are expected to keep their hair short therefore they go for haircuts frequently which is again, stimulation..
    ?

but i really want to do history, specifically islamic history. even tho im not taking it. is that allowed?
    i was thinking how the battle of karbala / death of imam hussaid has affected shia muslims.

wat do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    I did my EE in English.

My title was "Creation of opposite themes in William Blake’s Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience" -An analysis of how William Blake creates contrary themes by using poetic devices.

It was actually quite fun

ReputationRep:
    Note to all posters:
    Be v. specific with your research question and make sure you can actually find specific research! & avoid v. typical topics that have been covered numerous times, and avoid taking major (superficial) "debates," like nature vs. nurture (because both are important).

for a social science essay, I would recommend 'debating' something (not generic), e.g. to what extent is/was X due to Y?

But good luck?

ReputationRep:
    Hah! Just realised I never posted my title. For English A1; How is the theme of paralysis portrayed in James Joyce’s ‘Dubliners’? It was a nightmare and I'm glad it's over.

ReputationRep:
    I'm excited for my EE, but frightened I'll choose a topic and regret it later. Also, there's so much I'm interested in! What do you think of:

-Was Homer's Iliad based on fact?
    -A comparison of heroes in The Iliad and another book, Achilles and some other character.
    -Something to do with Lord of the Rings

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in English A1, on the treatment of gender in Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness. Lots of fun, especially when I got to use phrases like "cisgender paradigm".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opaltiger)
    I did mine in English A1, on the treatment of gender in Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness. Lots of fun, especially when I got to use phrases like "cisgender paradigm".
    Hehe, i know how you feel. I kept on discussing the effect of periphrasis and circumlocutions within The Zoo Story, expressing a character's lack of structured thought.

Despite talking about the animalistic development of the characters.

ReputationRep:
    i am trying to find out the relation between thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity. anyone's got anything to speak on it? is it appropiate to continue with it?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    hi. my topic is do the works of emily dickinson reflect her fascination with death or her hidden fear of it? what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Investigating Gender Differences in Emotional Expression using Gender Based Stereotypes:
    How do Men and Women Express Emotions Differently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)
    Personal opinion is that I have found way too many coincidences for our personalities to just be based on nurture...

Oh and with this I am not sticking strictly to the specific personalities that each sign is given, but also taking into consideration the cusp, the element of the sign, the position of the sign, the possible influences of parents particular signs (mine both being virgo, though one is closer to libra - and on the cusp :P ).
    Have you come across the term confirmation bias in theory of knowledge yet?

ReputationRep:
    Mine was in Enviromental Systems and Societies, I was the first and most likely last Science based EE at my school. I studied if digger logs had an effect on rivers, specifically flow rate and concentration of dissolved oxygen.
    I'd reccomend to stay very far away from Science EE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmokeMonster)
    Have you come across the term confirmation bias in theory of knowledge yet?
    Not really, honestly I don't do IB yet... but we had to do a similar format essay for our theory of knowledge... but we haven't come across confirmation bias.

ReputationRep:
    Our EE's were due like a month ago. I did mine in English literature. Anyway, my question is:
    "To what extent do Tennesse Williams's play The Glass Menagerie & F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby reflect a rejection of the ideal of the American Dream?
    Cliché I know but it's done now, can't do anything about it...

ReputationRep:
    Please a reminder, just post your essay topics in this thread and ask for help here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=571080

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking of doing my essay on something to do with complinace/conformity in a historical event
    any suggestions as to how i could narrow this down??

ReputationRep:
    My extended essay topic is a comparison between Wordsworth's Tintern Abbey and Coleridge's Dejection-An Ode. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    In my spare time i like to learn about different religions. My idea was to do my essay under theology : I was wondering if that was possible. maybe discuss passages from the bible and compare them to similar passages in another religious text like the GITA (hindu). Try to prove that these are similar events in the passage of time... can anyone mail me an idea?:woo:
    going crazy! [email address removed]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreddie)
    In my spare time i like to learn about different religions. My idea was to do my essay under theology : I was wondering if that was possible. maybe discuss passages from the bible and compare them to similar passages in another religious text like the GITA (hindu). Try to prove that these are similar events in the passage of time... can anyone mail me an idea?:woo:
    going crazy! [email address removed]
    Very strongly advise reconsidering a theology sort of topic. The only IB course that I know that is close to this would be IB World Religions; and if you aren't taking it right now, you don't know what will offend an examiner, not to mention I have not seen any exemplars for such a paper either.
    Maybe you could shift into a Language paper or a history paper (with relation to the Bible and religious texts). That's just my suggestion. I would get a competent advisor as soon as possible because you may have something going if you are specific about it.
    I'd love to hear updates from you. (And this goes for any student, if you have an English extended essay in particular, don't be afraid to message me. I will kindly read your drafts/essays and give my opinion on it. )

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.