Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Man of the Hour)
    Very strongly advise reconsidering a theology sort of topic. The only IB course that I know that is close to this would be IB World Religions; and if you aren't taking it right now, you don't know what will offend an examiner, not to mention I have not seen any exemplars for such a paper either.
    Maybe you could shift into a Language paper or a history paper (with relation to the Bible and religious texts). That's just my suggestion. I would get a competent advisor as soon as possible because you may have something going if you are specific about it.
    I'd love to hear updates from you. (And this goes for any student, if you have an English extended essay in particular, don't be afraid to message me. I will kindly read your drafts/essays and give my opinion on it. )
    This.

Wrote mine in English A1 as well and I am willing to read over English essays. I'm v. strong in dramatic literature especially if that's your specific genre. (Although it isn't in this case)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    This.

Wrote mine in English A1 as well and I am willing to read over English essays. I'm v. strong in dramatic literature especially if that's your specific genre. (Although it isn't in this case)
    Haha, doesn't it feel like you need to give something back after you've finished IB? Help others in pain, knowwhatImsayin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    Haha, doesn't it feel like you need to give something back after you've finished IB? Help others in pain, knowwhatImsayin?
    Haha yes. I just think it's fun to read over interesting english essays though.

ReputationRep:
    We have to turn in our EE topics in three days and select a mentor :/ I don't know whether to do English or History for a category, much less choose a mentor or a topic.

Although, I'm interested in comparing Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits, but there are so many aspects I want to cover I don't know how I'm going to just chose one. :/ I was going to compare symbolism, but I like the styles, themes, and archetypes in the texts too.

I'm just really undecided. D: I'm in my first year of IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyferxoxo)
    We have to turn in our EE topics in three days and select a mentor :/ I don't know whether to do English or History for a category, much less choose a mentor or a topic.

Although, I'm interested in comparing Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits, but there are so many aspects I want to cover I don't know how I'm going to just chose one. :/ I was going to compare symbolism, but I like the styles, themes, and archetypes in the texts too.

I'm just really undecided. D: I'm in my first year of IB.
    Be very careful with this topic. Both of the books you have chosen are World Literature books in IB English, which means that there is an increased likelihood that your examiner will have read BOTH selections in advance. Also, such a topic would require LOTS and LOTS of insight, really beyond something that an ordinary IB English student would write. Plus they are both in translation, are they not? That topic would not be allowed under the IB definition of an Extended Essay, so please check out the guide. You really need either a) two books originally written in English or b) one originally written in English and one studied in translation. I wrote my extended essay under the Group One Category, option b as I have indicated above.

So, my suggestion: You need at least one new book, something that perhaps is a little esoteric for IB (maybe a book that's newly published or something that you don't think anyone has read) and it should be originally written in English. You need an original comparison, something that is going to knock your examiner off his feet, a topic that's going to make him merely check off the boxes and give it an 'A'. That doesn't mean you can't choose a World Lit book by any means-- it turns out that "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin, a book I chose for my EE, WAS a World Lit book all along. But my comparison was so esoteric (psychoanalysis and the motif of human investigation between We and Dracula) that the topic worked! Or I would highly recommend you consider a history paper based on the historical backgrounds of one of the books.

Either way, get an EE mentor ASAP and tell me your topic. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! That helped a lot. Our school just changed IB coordinators so our soordinator isn't really explaining or really helping us on our TOK papers, EEs, or presentations :/

I think I might change one to a book originally written in English and keep one of the World lit books.

Actually, I'll talk with my IB coordinator and my mentor and I'll let you know what I decide for my final topic thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of doing my ee on something like:

1) how past events (eg. Salem witch hunts) are similar to current events

2) The inequality of those that live in a developing country compared to those living in a developed country

what do you think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightdaylight)
    I was thinking of doing my ee on something like:

1) how past events (eg. Salem witch hunts) are similar to current events

Well, why does this matter? I mean, you could compare the McCarthy communist witch-hunts to the trials at Salem. I just don't think it's academic enough and there's no real research question. Elaborate a bit more?

2) The inequality of those that live in a developing country compared to those living in a developed country

I think you would be stating the obvious :/ Perhaps on some specific issue, e.g. the differences in inequality of two countries in their contribution to anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions or something? I'd be specific, e.g. pick certain countries, so you can use specific statistics and research. I think this would go under Geography? Although, I would definitely discuss this with your coordinator/supervisor.

what do you think
    The second idea could be interesting, provided it has a heavy Geography emphasis and is specific.

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I've been reading the past few questions and something is fairly obvious.
    The questions really aren't fleshed out particularly well and I don't even think any strong, new, original research can come out of the questions.

So, IB 1s, YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES.
    -Read the EXTENDED ESSAY GUIDE. I would recommend at least 5 times for your area of expertise.
    -Conduct PRELIMINARY RESEARCH. Just read around stuff you are interested in. I would suggest you do this well in advance. And I can tell some of you haven't because the questions are coming back with relatively little thought to them. I don't think any of these could make great EEs.
    -Now when you have done LOTS of reading and preliminary research (that is, research that does not affect the formation of the essay), come up with at least 5 TOPICS and create a research question around it. Make sure it is esoteric and can be talked about in 4000 words, and that you can find enough material for it.
    -THEN YOU POST YOUR RESEARCH QUESTION.

Me, Ragnar and other users are trying to help you out a lot, but the questions you give us are, to be honest, quite pathetic. You need to follow these steps above. Hell, I read the books for my English EE three times before I came up with a decent research question. Also, I highly recommend annotated bibliographies as well.

One last piece of advice: Get an adviser ASAP.

-The Man of the Hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Man of the Hour)
    OK, so I've been reading the past few questions and something is fairly obvious.
    The questions really aren't fleshed out particularly well and I don't even think any strong, new, original research can come out of the questions.

So, IB 1s, YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES.
    -Read the EXTENDED ESSAY GUIDE. I would recommend at least 5 times for your area of expertise.
    -Conduct PRELIMINARY RESEARCH. Just read around stuff you are interested in. I would suggest you do this well in advance. And I can tell some of you haven't because the questions are coming back with relatively little thought to them. I don't think any of these could make great EEs.
    -Now when you have done LOTS of reading and preliminary research (that is, research that does not affect the formation of the essay), come up with at least 5 TOPICS and create a research question around it. Make sure it is esoteric and can be talked about in 4000 words, and that you can find enough material for it.
    -THEN YOU POST YOUR RESEARCH QUESTION.

Me, Ragnar and other users are trying to help you out a lot, but the questions you give us are, to be honest, quite pathetic. You need to follow these steps above. Hell, I read the books for my English EE three times before I came up with a decent research question. Also, I highly recommend annotated bibliographies as well.

One last piece of advice: Get an adviser ASAP.

-The Man of the Hour
    This, This, This!

ReputationRep:
    My EE topic is To what extent has British fashion designer Vivienne Westwood shaped fashion today through her controversial designs? I know this isn't good enough and I'm interested in refining it, so any ideas would be appreciated!
    I'd like to make the question more IB worthy involving more of a historic/cultural background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georginaarr)
    My EE topic is To what extent has British fashion designer Vivienne Westwood shaped fashion today through her controversial designs? I know this isn't good enough and I'm interested in refining it, so any ideas would be appreciated!
    I'd like to make the question more IB worthy involving more of a historic/cultural background.
    Step One, as I mentioned, is reading the Guide. You appear to have done research on Vivienne Westwood without even focusing on an appropriate subject area. I don't see a successful history essay coming from this.

Honestly, SCRAP THE IDEA. Start again, following the method approved by Ragnar and myself.

ReputationRep:
    You would have to comment on fashion developments post-westwood and how her specific trends, pieces or galleries influences these developments. Not easy, but possible. (Big Vivienne fan here )

It could be a v. interesting essay, so long as you really go over her different trends and styles and see how they influenced other pieces. You would have to mention how they were influential in the material sense, e.g. an increased use of certain colors or accessories (as a v. general example). This will not be easy though.

If you've got other ideas, we'll give you some advice.

ReputationRep:
    You would have to comment on fashion developments post-westwood and how her specific trends, pieces or galleries influences these developments. Not easy, but possible. (Big Vivienne fan here )

It could be a v. interesting essay, so long as you really go over her different trends and styles and see how they influenced other pieces. You would have to mention how they were influential in the material sense, e.g. an increased use of certain colors or accessories (as a v. general example). This will not be easy though.

If you've got other ideas, we'll give you some advice.

ReputationRep:
    hey I'm wondering whether it's a good topic for Geog EE:
    the influence of gentrification processes in one district of Warsaw(Poland) on the living standards.
    I thought about collecting some statistical data like natural increase, number of doctors, school enrollment and so on... but I started to have doubts about how to show that statistics improve due to gentrification and not something different (because generally they improve)
    I've also read that it's better to have some culture in ee and I'd like to ask if it's really that neccessary?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing mine on Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
    I love the book, so I'm actually pretty happy about doing it!

The title right now is 'How successfully does Yann Martel use language and symbols to show man's belief in God and understanding of reality', but I'm sure that'll change as the essay progresses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SianH)
    I'm doing mine on Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
    I love the book, so I'm actually pretty happy about doing it!

The title right now is 'How successfully does Yann Martel use language and symbols to show man's belief in God and understanding of reality', but I'm sure that'll change as the essay progresses!
    Great topic. Probably needs to be focused a little more (symbolism, certain type of diction maybe) and it might be slightly unoriginal. Therefore, lots of effort should be made coming up with your own relevant ideas. Use critics as your creative trampoline to find your beliefs about the topic.

ReputationRep:
    significance of floral imagery in terms of plot and characters in The Picture of Dorian Gray

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am first year IB and we have been told to start thinking about our EE topics. I am undecided, so I was wondering whether there are particular subjects that are generally graded better than others, maybe that the examiner marking it would be unfamiliar with...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorjane22)
    Hi, I am first year IB and we have been told to start thinking about our EE topics. I am undecided, so I was wondering whether there are particular subjects that are generally graded better than others, maybe that the examiner marking it would be unfamiliar with...?
    Definitely English & History because it is far easier for you to be (a) original and (b) seem knowledgeable about these subjects than, say, Maths. However, just be original in any subject you choose (English and History included): trust me.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.