The Student Room Group

Statics of a Particle M1

Hey, really stuck on this q & would appreciate any help/
5) A body of mass 2kg is held in limiting equilibrium on a rough plane inclined at 20* to the horizontal by a horizontal force X. The coefficient of friction between the body and the plane is 0.2. Modelling the body as a particle find X when the body is on the point of slipping
(a) up the plane (b) down the plane

So firstly I drew the diagram of what I was told and tried to get as much info as possible using triangles etc. I got two simultaneous equations with 1 up the plane and 1 down the plane but ended up with the wrong answer for both of them.

Thanks
Draw the diagram as you normally would. But don't put friction on it.

For part a, if the particle is on the verge of slipping up the plane then the friction is acting downwards.

for part b the particlile is on the verge of slipping down the plane so friction as to act up the slope.

If you still need help i'll see what i can do :smile:
Reply 2
Long Haired Teen
Draw the diagram as you normally would. But don't put friction on it.

For part a, if the particle is on the verge of slipping up the plane then the friction is acting downwards.

for part b the particlile is on the verge of slipping down the plane so friction as to act up the slope.

If you still need help i'll see what i can do :smile:

Hey, thanks I think I may have got the values wrong on the diagram. Its kinda hard to get help on the internet for a diagram though lol
jimber
Hey, thanks I think I may have got the values wrong on the diagram. Its kinda hard to get help on the internet for a diagram though lol

You're welcome. If you still have problems i can try it and see what i get. But if you follow that you should get the correct diagrams and be able to solve without too much hassle :smile:
Reply 4
Long Haired Teen
You're welcome. If you still have problems i can try it and see what i get. But if you follow that you should get the correct diagrams and be able to solve without too much hassle :smile:

If you could try it that would be great, I know the answers (from the book) but it would be cool if you could tell me the equations you got the answers from. Cheers
jimber
If you could try it that would be great, I know the answers (from the book) but it would be cool if you could tell me the equations you got the answers from. Cheers

a) 2gSin20 + μ2gCos20 = XCos20

2gTan20 + 2g/5 = X

X = 2g(tan20 + 1/5)

for b you get the same but minus the 1/5

sinx/cosx = tanx btw (don't know what year you're in so i you may not have covered it. It you have then sorry for telling you what you already know)

I think this is right. Though i would check through it if i were you lol. I'm not really in a maths frame of mind atm. :smile:
Reply 6
Thankyou its much appreciated, I relate to not being in a maths mood atm lol my head just starts spinning when I try to do these questions. Cheers
Hmm. Is this exercise 4D or 4E?
Reply 8
ViralRiver
Hmm. Is this exercise 4D or 4E?

4E q.5

Latest