Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got an email today from my bio teacher to all those thinking of applying to medicine about a course on how to get into medical school.

Few people from school have signed up and am thinking about it - just thought it might be useful to ppl applying

www.medsas.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    It looks like it follows the same principals as Medlink/Medsim etc and at £65 plus travel if you don't live in London...but then again, it could be good, who knows?

ReputationRep:
    if it gets you in tho, £65 isnt that much.

Also, thought medlink was more about whether or not you wanna do medicine, whereas this one seems more about how to actually get into med school. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    It won't 'get you in'.

If you're not sure whether medicine is for you, these courses serve a function. If you already know, then they're usually a waste of time.

There are several books written by people actually involved in medicial admission,s which are much better.

ReputationRep:
    nah it might not get you in, but they have admissions tutors from cambridge and GKT tho, and it certainly isnt gonna hurt to hear stright from the horses mouth what kind of thing they're looking for...as they might be the very people which intervirew you... :albertein

ReputationRep:
    I went to Medilink at Christmas and it was the best thing I have ever done and has made me pursue other avenues. I am now taking a gap year and working in a hospital for a year.

Go on it, we had a talk from Gary Craven (LEGEND!!!) he really does help with the admissions (we got tips on how to stand out to one Uni and not upset the others)

And if you are going undecided then this talk will make you want to do Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courty)
    I went to Medilink at Christmas and it was the best thing I have ever done and has made me pursue other avenues. I am now taking a gap year and working in a hospital for a year.

Go on it, we had a talk from Gary Craven (LEGEND!!!) he really does help with the admissions (we got tips on how to stand out to one Uni and not upset the others)

And if you are going undecided then this talk will make you want to do Medicine.
    Hes a motivational speaker. He promotes the crap hes trying to sell (i.e. the rubbish medfaxx CD which apparantly is very helpful according to him). Hes not a doctor of medicine as he claims. He stated to the Law people on a similar 3 day course and nottingham university that he was a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Hes a motivational speaker. He promotes the crap hes trying to sell (i.e. the rubbish medfaxx CD which apparantly is very helpful according to him). Hes not a doctor of medicine as he claims. He stated to the Law people on a similar 3 day course and nottingham university that he was a lawyer.

Couldn't agree more!

ReputationRep:
    maybe he's one of them people who is a doctor, lawyer, vet, forensic scientist.... all in one! bargain

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i might aswell reply to the thread. i reckon you should go! you'll meet some cool people i think, and also get a few pointers on your uni application, which is never a bad thing. also get the book called "how to get into medical school", following this easy step by step guide (lol) i successfully gained a place at medical school its proper good, like it gives you interview tips n how to act and smile etc etc i can't remember exactly, so forget bein yourself jus do what the book says! easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed)
    maybe he's one of them people who is a doctor, lawyer, vet, forensic scientist.... all in one! bargain

Or may be he just spins a good yarn?

ReputationRep:
    what is this yarn you speak of... (soz i've been partyin and i only woke up one hour ago)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what is the deal with this Gary Cravan dude? He said something about being a tutor at Cambridge... :rolleyes: . He's a motivational speaker (and a good one) but surely he ent a dr/vet/lawyer really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed)
    what is this yarn you speak of... (soz i've been partyin and i only woke up one hour ago)
    cheers for the lift

I agree with Pav27 about Craven though- he DOES do a good job at motivating people, but he is full of crap. He does his job well though:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    It won't 'get you in'.

If you're not sure whether medicine is for you, these courses serve a function. If you already know, then they're usually a waste of time.

There are several books written by people actually involved in medicial admission,s which are much better.
    Interesting! Could you suggest some good admissions books for prospective medics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GastroGrub)
    nah it might not get you in, but they have admissions tutors from cambridge and GKT tho, and it certainly isnt gonna hurt to hear stright from the horses mouth what kind of thing they're looking for...as they might be the very people which intervirew you... :albertein
    err..i imagine the cam & GKT open days would also feature special appearances from their admissions tutors too..?

re books - the one i've heard mentioned most often was "So you want to be a brain sugeon?"

that said, i didn't read any 'how to get into medical school' books or attend any residential courses or anything. although in my year there was a 'Medical Careers Advisory Service Forum' held in London - £15 for the day, including lunch - so i'd imagine money making wasn't their prime concern.. & i'd certainly recommend that if it was still going.
    otherwise, once i'd already applied i discovered the various online medical admissions forums - which were quite handy for thinking about interview questions & then finally making my mind up about which uni to accept. (Fluffy circa early 2003 deserves some credit for that.. :flowers: )

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.