Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiousity...

What exactly is Freshers Ball??

Is it over-rated/too hyped up?

Is it formal? (Google Images makes me think yes!)

Are you supposed have a date (But how exactly would you have one if you're new?)

Does it have any purpose besides meeting new people??

Thanks in advance everyone!

ReputationRep:
    its a ball to welcome all freshers to the uni and to get to know each other.
    it depends on the uni whether its over-rated or too hyped up, mine was quite good.

again whether its formal or not depends on the uni i pressume, mine was semi formal, people dressed up but not in ball gowns or anything like that.

about having a date or not, definitey not! they cant expect everyone at the uni to have a date, like u said especially if you're new!

its purpose will be to have a good time yeah to get to know new people. dont think they did anything special at ours, jus had a few extra tents to the normal nights.

ReputationRep:
    mine wasn't formal really, they had fair ground rides and stuff although most people dressed up a bit. I would say that most people didn't have dates. People went in big groups with their flatmates mostly.

ReputationRep:
    My university didn't have a Freshers' Ball, we had lots of cheesy bops (parties) in college and they had one BIG Freshers' event at a club but that was not a formal one. If your uni does have one, you'll get told the dress code, and no, you won't need to bring dates - most balls over here don't operate on that system any more (only a few of our most archaic - and best - college balls)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    Just out of curiousity...

Are you supposed have a date (But how exactly would you have one if you're new?)

Thanks in advance everyone!

Our freshers balls were grouped by faculty...so i went to the engineering + physical sciences ball. It was pretty decent, I remember dancing, drinking and someone puking up in the marquee ewww.

I wouldn't say it's over-rated, worth going to at least...though the summerball was better cuz for the summerball we also had dodgems, ferris wheel etc, whereas at the freshers one we had scale-electrix, errr a few betting type things i think and mostly dancing/drinking.

Yes it is formal...suits/tuxes for the men, nice dresses for the ladies...but you don't need a date, just go with some people in your halls or some other new mates you've made.

Basically it's just to meet new people and have fun, as is always the case with most balls.

edit: this all relates to my uni though....depends on your uni as always

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a suit or anything...
    Can you buy them when you arrive or would it be best to purchase one before I go to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I don't really have a suit or anything...
    Can you buy them when you arrive or would it be best to purchase one before I go to university?
    I would recommend (if you HAVE a formal Freshers' Ball, I don't think everywhere does) getting a dinner jacket/shirt/bow tie at some point, probably before you go up - it probably will come in useful. You can hire them though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    With regard to Warwick (which will not be the same as everywhere else!):
    An event at the union one night during week 1 where they usually have a live band along playing (last year they had Electric Six :rolleyes:) as well as the usual DJs.
    Probably, it's not that good apparently though there's not that much hype actually.
    Nope.
    Nope, most people go in a group with the people they're living with in halls.
    Ummmm... getting drunk...? That's about it I think!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Well, apparently it's formal at Imperial at least... I think it depends on the uni...
    I never thought of using google image search for fresher's ball! I just did... hmm... looks like I'll certainly stand out in the crowd with my dress...most seem to be black or the like, mine is white and lacy :s:

ReputationRep:
    Do postgrads. have one too?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.