The Student Room Group

How do you know what method to use when solving ax^2 + bx + c = 0 ?

The question says I need to decide on an appropiate method to use when solving the following equations. How am I supposed to know what the appropiate method is?

The three methods I know and states I should use are:
- factorise
- complete the square
- use the quadratic formula

Examples of the questions are:

a) x^2 + 5x = 0

b) (x-3)^2 - 25 = 0

c) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 16

d) 6x^2 = x + 2

e) 3x^2 + 5x - 2 = 0
Reply 1
Well...you can use the Quadratic formula for any of those equations, but leave it as a last resort since it's considered more time consuming than all the others. Factorization is just solving by using trial and error, shouldn't be too hard and complete the square is quite simple as well. It's up to you to choose unless specified in the question i suppose, cheers.
Reply 2
Kash:)
The question says I need to decide on an appropiate method to use when solving the following equations. How am I supposed to know what the appropiate method is?

- factorise
- complete the square

a) x^2 + 5x = 0

b) (x-3)^2 - 25 = 0

c) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 16

d) 6x^2 = x + 2

e) 3x^2 + 5x - 2 = 0

Always look to factorise first if you can't then I would recommend completing the square. Don't worry about the 'appropriate' method , if it works it is OK.
Reply 3
For b I'd complete the square seeing as it's already in that form

- factorise
- complete the square

a) x^2 + 5x = 0

b) (x-3)^2 - 25 = 0

c) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 16

d) 6x^2 = x + 2

e) 3x^2 + 5x - 2 = 0

Anything that says something along the lines of "give your answer to 3 sf" requires squareroot formula :smile:
Reply 5
Long Haired Teen
Anything that says something along the lines of "give your answer to 3 sf" requires squareroot formula :smile:

OR Completion of the square.
Reply 6

- factorise
- complete the square

a) x^2 + 5x = 0

b) (x-3)^2 - 25 = 0

c) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 16

d) 6x^2 = x + 2

e) 3x^2 + 5x - 2 = 0

The question is wrongly phrased IMO. It should ask you to decide on the faster method to use, not the most appropiate, as they are all appropiate.
I used to do this by trial and error, roughly, and if I couldn't manage it I just plugged it into the quadratic formula anyway - it doesn't take long at all and it works either way.

Just think, for example in the form of, (x + a)(x + b)=0, taking your example number (c). The a and b must multiply to make -15, and add to make 2x. i.e, 3 and 5. (x + 5)(x -3) = 0. I used to think if there was no combination of two numbers for which that would work by quick estimation in my head, I'd use a more complicated method like quadratic formula/completing the square.

Sorry if that was rubbish to read! :smile:
Try and factorise first. If that doesn't work, just complete the square. I never bother with the quadratic formula, all you're doing is completing the square, why bother risking making a mistake remembering it?
Reply 9
Being able to complete the square quickly is a very useful ability in later maths, I'd just advise you to practice this a lot. If you get fast it's only 20 seconds or so from start to finish, whereas you can spend minutes looking for factors.
try to factorise then if you can't see them fairly quickly complete the square. unless the coeffs are fractions etc. in which case i tend to use formula for ease. all same. for example try completing the square on ax^2+bx+c and you'll end up with the formula.
ok, you can use factorisation when you know the factors of the equation. Use completing the square when you canot factorise it. Use quadratic formula if you have a calculator nearby or when 'a' is more than 1., eg. 6x^2 - 5x +2 = 0.

hope that helps

- factorise
- complete the square

a) x^2 + 5x = 0

b) (x-3)^2 - 25 = 0

c) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 16

d) 6x^2 = x + 2

e) 3x^2 + 5x - 2 = 0

The easiest way to tell if it CAN be factorized is if the b24ac{b^2}-4ac is a perfect square.

Personally, I like to factorize and solve, as it gives me practice in algebra!
Lifeisnice
...if the b24ac{b^2}-4ac is a perfect square.

This. If the discriminant is a nice number, then you can factorise and solve, if not you could use the quadratic formula, or complete the square.
Reply 14
If you've already gone ahead and worked out the discriminant, you may as well just proceed with using the quadratic formula.

Latest