Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [EDIT]:

You only have 'one' GCSE in Maths and GNVQ IT, but you're doing 'three' Alevels... Would the universities accept you eventhough you only have one GCSE???

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about that one... 'One' GCSE isn't very much I'd have to say they probably would, but some Universities do require decent GCSEs, but not that many, only weird ones

ReputationRep:
    if there is certain reason why you could take 1 GCSE (such as ilness or special needs) then it would probably be accepted. If it was just because you couldnt be bothered then they would probably have to spend a while considering your application - but if you got good grades at alevel then it shouldnt be a problem

ReputationRep:
    How can you do A levels if you only have 1 GCSE anyway? I thought atleast 3-5 were required in order to go on and study A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    How can you do A levels if you only have 1 GCSE anyway? I thought atleast 3-5 were required in order to go on and study A levels?
    exactly, how are you going to cope with 3-alevels and get good enough grade for uni, if you only have one gcse, even if there are special circumstances, i would reconsider your options and perhaps go to an adultlearners class or something and do more gcses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)

I'm in a different situation from the others. I came from another country and only did Maths, Science [all three] and English... but I got a D in Science and D for English.. I only have Math in C. That's all the GCSE's that I did because I came late in here to study all of the GCSE's... But I am allowed to study three A levels eventhough I only have one GCSE in Maths.. but I also did GNVQ I.T. and I passed it and they told me that it is equivalent to '5 GCSE's??' is that right? So if it's right, I have six GCSE's? One in Maths and 5 in IT[GNVQ]?? Is that right? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the GNVQ counted for 4 GCSE's? For example an "Distinction" in GNVQ IT will count towards AAAA or 4 A's at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WantA*)
    I thought the GNVQ counted for 4 GCSE's? For example an "Distinction" in GNVQ IT will count towards AAAA or 4 A's at GCSE.
    Yeah that's right, so getting a C in GCSE maths and a Pass in GNVQ ICT means you have the equivalent of 5 Cs at GCSE, plus 4 Ds in English and the sciences. That's enough to do A-levels, but most universities want at least a C in English, so I'd recommend resitting that next year along with your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Oh I see. So it's 4 GCSE not 5? I got '3 pass' and '1 merit' in IT GNVQ because it's four units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yeah that's right, so getting a C in GCSE maths and a Pass in GNVQ ICT means you have the equivalent of 5 Cs at GCSE, plus 4 Ds in English and the sciences. That's enough to do A-levels, but most universities want at least a C in English, so I'd recommend resitting that next year along with your A-levels.

Thanks. I'll resit English and Science..

ReputationRep:
    are gnvq's rly hard then? so much that they count for so many gcse's?

ReputationRep:
    When I did my GNVQ ICT (it was sommit to do with thomas telford) i got a distinction and got told it was worth two A*s and two As. Is this correct, or is it four A's? Either way, it's all good!

Thankx!!!

Rudy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walalang)
    Thanks. I'll resit English and Science..
    No need to resit science if you don't want to. Most uni's want Maths and English at grade C or above. I know people who have D's in Science and maths, and they only resit maths only.

I know a person on here that only did one GCSE and 3 A-levels (not going to tell who it is), and that person is going to uni this year. I think you would be ok if you have special circumstances like her though.

(Original post by thebadboy2k1)
    They are not that hard. It's mostly coursework involving the use of Microsoft Office software especially Excel and Access. In addition, most of the coursework is handable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebadboy2k1)

it's not that hard.. I think it's because it has 'four' units.

ReputationRep:
    There are different levels of GNVQ, the one Thomas Telford and my school BWCTC developed is worth 4C at pass 4B at merit and 2A*2A at distiction

The owrk isn't hard its just very time consuming and hard to get a good grade in the deadlines, if you miss deadlines then you autometically can't get a distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    No need to resit science if you don't want to. Most uni's want Maths and English at grade C or above. I know people who have D's in Science and maths, and they only resit maths only.

I know a person on here that only did one GCSE and 3 A-levels (not going to tell who it is), and that person is going to uni this year. I think you would be ok if you have special circumstances like her though.

They are not that hard. It's mostly coursework involving the use of Microsoft Office software especially Excel and Access. In addition, most of the coursework is handable.

Thanks for the info. It really helps me. But, what do you mean by 'special circumstances'??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat Loaf Rocks)
    There are different levels of GNVQ, the one Thomas Telford and my school BWCTC developed is worth 4C at pass 4B at merit and 2A*2A at distiction

The owrk isn't hard its just very time consuming and hard to get a good grade in the deadlines, if you miss deadlines then you autometically can't get a distinction.

Yeah. I agree. It's very time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. It really helps me. But, what do you mean by 'special circumstances'??
    You're welcome.

This person (not naming again), is educated at home and has GCSE maths at grade C only. This is an example of a special circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    You're welcome.

This person (not naming again), is educated at home and has GCSE maths at grade C only. This is an example of a special circumstance.

I see. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You only have 'one' GCSE, but you're doing 'three' Alevels... Would the universities accept you eventhough you only have one GCSE???
    you wouldnt be accepted to do A levels with one GCSE xoxo

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.