Turn on thread page Beta

Would you teach yourself..? watch

ReputationRep:
    If a College/Sixth Form course you really wanted to do such as Psychology was full; would you teach yourself the subject and then enter yourself for AS and A2 exams? Or would it be better to choose a subject you enjoy less?

ReputationRep:
    youd have to be really dedicated and disciplined to teach yourslef. remember youll be doing other subjects aswell and most people find it hard enough to just do 3 a levels. if yore commited enouugh though go for it

ReputationRep:
    people just about manage to teach themselves gcse subjects A2 subjects are a hwole lot harder to do, but seriously unless you are wanting to this in a futrther career i wouldnt't and if you are, i would recommend choosing a different college, if you are that serious about doing it, if you just want to do it for the sake of that you like the subject no doubt you will already be doing 3/4 AS/A2 subjects already so whyput yourself through that additional stress, becuase you are your own disciplinarian you will go wayward and some days maybe even weeks will go past becuase you are too tired stressed or cant be bothered anymore, and to enter yourelf for an A2 exam by yourself is expensive btw. you could take night school classes in it at an adult learners class or something like that, or just learn about it in your own time, but not have a qualification in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    If a College/Sixth Form course you really wanted to do such as Psychology was full; would you teach yourself the subject and then enter yourself for AS and A2 exams? Or would it be better to choose a subject you enjoy less?
    I would choose a course to teach myself that you enjoy most instead of less. If you choose the subject you enjoy less, you won't get a good grade. Therefore, choose a subject that you will enjoy, and ask the teacher or examinations officer to enter you for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i dont think it would work. Because you'd be teaching yourself there might be a laid back approach to the work? Plus teaching actually helps as they get trained on different learning methods to help it to really sink in. Plus you'd have to pay to take the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    Personally i dont think it would work. Because you'd be teaching yourself there might be a laid back approach to the work? Plus teaching actually helps as they get trained on different learning methods to help it to really sink in. Plus you'd have to pay to take the exams.
    I am doing teaching myself a subject that is not offered at school. Yes, I teach myself in a laid back approach. Nevertheless, I perform good in exams and get good grades. It depends how the person teaches him/herself.

There is no need to pay for the exam, as the the subject is offered by the school. The teacher would enter their class along with the person who is teaching themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I am doing teaching myself a subject that is not offered at school. Yes, I teach myself in a laid back approach. Nevertheless, I perform good in exams and get good grades. It depends how the person teaches him/herself.

There is no need to pay for the exam, as the the subject is offered by the school. The teacher would enter their class along with the person who is teaching themselves.
    Oh ok cool cool. Obviously its better to get teaching from a qualified teacher but i guess it is just as good to teach yourself. What resources do you use trev?

ReputationRep:
    Trev would this mean I wouldn't have to pay to get entered into exams? All I need do is just keep in contact with a psychology teacher at the school and they would enter my work/enter me for exams when appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do this as, if I didn't choose to teach myself psychology I'd have to choose spanish at the school... I find spanish hard and would probably get no more than a B... However if I played my cards right, used my sisters AS/A2 notes and pushed myself, I could do well in psychology, cos I love it.

ReputationRep:
    yes its possible. i've heard of people in prison teaching themselves degrees in maths, and other hard subjects from books. the real question is: do you want to?. you will have no time to hang around with friends and you will still have to get the 6th form to enter you, which wont be easy, as if you **** up it makes them look bad and lowers there pass percentage

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok cool cool. Obviously its better to get teaching from a qualified teacher but i guess it is just as good to teach yourself. What resources do you use trev?
    I use a textbook, revision guides, and past papers. Yeah, it's better to get a teacher to teach you, however, he does not have any time. In addition, the subject is not offered at the school. He can still help me if I don't know something. Furthermore, he can mark my coursework too. He enters me for the exam for free too.

Trev would this mean I wouldn't have to pay to get entered into exams? All I need do is just keep in contact with a psychology teacher at the school and they would enter my work/enter me for exams when appropriate?
    There is no need to pay to do the exam, as the subject is already on offer at the school. In addition, just keep in contact with the teacher at school and the he/she will mark your coursework followed by entering you for the exam.

How come the psychology course is full? At least the could split into two classes.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the administration woman said that the course was full but it was probable that a few would not get the grades required to do Sixth Form, or that some would choose to take on other collages... I asked about self-teaching as I was worried incase this didn't happen... But about self-teaching and coursework, would I have to go to the psychology teacher and they would provide me with coursework?

ReputationRep:
    Well, the administration woman said that the course was full but it was probable that a few would not get the grades required to do Sixth Form, or that some would choose to take on other collages... I asked about self-teaching as I was worried incase this didn't happen... But about self-teaching and coursework, would I have to go to the psychology teacher and they would provide me with coursework?
    If some of the students might not meet the requirements to do A-level psychology, I would recommend you to study the subject in class.

I'm sure you will be allowed self teaching for psychology. Just tell them that the course is full already and interested in the subject. For the coursework, the teacher would provide you informtion on what you need to do, so you could do it.

ReputationRep:
    I bet a self-taught qualification would stand you in good steed for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    I bet a self-taught qualification would stand you in good steed for Uni.
    I bet too. If i dont get accepted into an A level subject i shall laugh in the head of 6th form's face and say i'll teach myself. Wouldnt it be humiliating for the school if i got a better grade than those who were taught in class

ReputationRep:
    I bet too. If i dont get accepted into an A level subject i shall laugh in the head of 6th form's face and say i'll teach myself. Wouldnt it be humiliating for the school if i got a better grade than those who were taught in class
    Rolf yeah... Kinda like a mate of mine who was entered for the level "3-5" maths SATS KS3 paper, and aced the paper with full marks gaining a level 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Rolf yeah... Kinda like a mate of mine who was entered for the level "3-5" maths SATS KS3 paper, and aced the paper with full marks gaining a level 5.
    He had to teach himself that?

ReputationRep:
    You might as well try teaching yourself and see how u get on...there's no point in only doing a subject u don't like as much cos u probably won't put in as much effort anyway....why not do what i'm doing and do both? i'm gonna teach myself maths cos i can only do 5 AS levels at school but need maths to do astrophysics later. The teachers at my school said doing AS level should be fine, but that A2 would be difficult, so i figured i'd try it for a year and see how i do. i'd suggest u do the same...and maybe take the other subject just so u don't lose out totally?....

ReputationRep:
    Ugh - I might need to teach myself French A Level with only one lessons of it a week - twill be hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    Ugh - I might need to teach myself French A Level with only one lessons of it a week - twill be hard.
    Yes it will be very hard, im doing the same with German. Probably the hardest subject you'd have to teach yourself, it'll take real dedication.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.