Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    Yes it will be very hard, im doing the same with German. Probably the hardest subject you'd have to teach yourself, it'll take real dedication.
    Cool - how are you getting in the oral practice?

ReputationRep:
    Probably..if I wanted to do it that much, or if I was considering it as a future career. I've had to do it before anyway - our Chemistry is Greek and he barely taught us anything, and it was really difficult to understand him..so when it came to revision for the exam at the end of this year, I was teaching myself things as I went along.

ReputationRep:
    There are several people in the Maths forum who have taught themselves Maths and Further Maths A2 by themselves - just goes to show it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    Cool - how are you getting in the oral practice?
    lol i have noo idea, i'll come to that when i need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljfrugn)
    There are several people in the Maths forum who have taught themselves Maths and Further Maths A2 by themselves - just goes to show it can be done.
    And yeah. Only 2 people out of 150 have chosen to do further maths, so they cant take timtables periods for 2 people so my mate has to teach himself and he can get some help from maths teachers when he needs.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe my school which is a girls grammar school has a joint 6th form with the boys grammar school so if there isnt enough girls doing f. maths then the 1 or 2 can go over to the boys school to do it there. Good system, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    Hehe my school which is a girls grammar school has a joint 6th form with the boys grammar school so if there isnt enough girls doing f. maths then the 1 or 2 can go over to the boys school to do it there. Good system, methinks.
    yes it is, better than my school. I reckon the prospectus for 6th form should've said that a min of X number of students need to chose it in order for there to be a class. My friend was slightly let down but to be honest he's brilliant at maths naturally so he shouldnt find it too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gothic pixie)
    You might as well try teaching yourself and see how u get on...there's no point in only doing a subject u don't like as much cos u probably won't put in as much effort anyway....why not do what i'm doing and do both? i'm gonna teach myself maths cos i can only do 5 AS levels at school but need maths to do astrophysics later. The teachers at my school said doing AS level should be fine, but that A2 would be difficult, so i figured i'd try it for a year and see how i do. i'd suggest u do the same...and maybe take the other subject just so u don't lose out totally?....
    Thanks for the advice. I probably will do that... I'll take Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Spanish then I will teach myself Psychology at AS, see how it goes, if it gets too hard at A2 I can just pack it in, take away an AS qualification and continue with the rest...

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself as and a2 physics. I was away ill from school in year 10 and didnt have the entry requirements - rather than the college just accepting that and letting me on the course they wouldnt - so now I am taking it from home. It should be ok. I am doing it with an agency who are there to help and answer my questions. And I will have a tutor part of the time. I think it can be done - with alot of hard work

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself almost all of the GCSE maths syllabus because i was good at maths and wanted to take it a year early. In year 9 i was going to take the KS3 extension paper for maths but they had stopped making it i think that year. Anyway at the year 10 parent's evening the head of maths came over and asked if i knew most/ all of the GCSE syllabus and i said yes. So i reckon you should go for it because self-teaching got me to take my GCSE a year early

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.