The Student Room Group

meeting people off the internet

Ok, well I've done it quite a few times, at least 4 or 5 on my own and a few others with a friend. I would have done it quite a few more times if it wasn't for the fact that the thought of it makes me very nervous. The whole arranged meeting situation makes me feel under pressure to meet up to their expectations and I'm quite a shy/quiet person anyway. I think I just make it a lot worse than it really is due to lack of confidence.
I met this guy online last night who is a uni student at a local uni and we did kinda hit it off and he wants to meet up already. In a way I do want to meet him because he seems like a cool guy but I have a lack of faith that he'll have any interest in me once he meets me so the avoidant side of me just wants to put it off even though it would make sense to just go for it, what's the worst that could happen? Should I meet up with him today or do something which makes it easier for me like invite him out next time I'm in town drinking with friends? I wish I could just do these things without getting so worked up about it lol :frown:
Anyone have any experiences to share about meeting people from the internet? Do you get nervous about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did it once, but it was a small group of us from another forum and it wasn't a dating thing at all.

It was really strange actually - people you meet online tend to be very different in real life. Having only communicated with someone through what is basically just written words, you build up a mental image of how they are in person; you fill in the gaps, of which there will inevitably be many, with your own imagination.

It's an interesting experience though. And yes I was very nervous.
I'm sure all they'll expect you to be is yourself. Try doing that? :P
Reply 3
I've done it twice and whilst it's nerve wracking, it doesn't last long once you actually meet them.
Reply 4
Never done it. Seems quite popular though.
Anonymous
Ok, well I've done it quite a few times, at least 4 or 5 on my own and a few others with a friend. I would have done it quite a few more times if it wasn't for the fact that the thought of it makes me very nervous. The whole arranged meeting situation makes me feel under pressure to meet up to their expectations and I'm quite a shy/quiet person anyway. I think I just make it a lot worse than it really is due to lack of confidence.
I met this guy online last night who is a uni student at a local uni and we did kinda hit it off and he wants to meet up already. In a way I do want to meet him because he seems like a cool guy but I have a lack of faith that he'll have any interest in me once he meets me so the avoidant side of me just wants to put it off even though it would make sense to just go for it, what's the worst that could happen? Should I meet up with him today or do something which makes it easier for me like invite him out next time I'm in town drinking with friends? I wish I could just do these things without getting so worked up about it lol :frown:
Anyone have any experiences to share about meeting people from the internet? Do you get nervous about it?

dont do it

everyone knows that
Never done it ever.
i met someone off the internet a few years ago, it was one of the scariest things I'd ever done, but I think that was only because of the way in which I'd met him...but anyway, I always find it terrifying meeting up with people I don't know well on a one-on-one thing, the other day I went on what i suppose I could call my first proper date, as in it was the first time I went out with someone who I had only met once, and none of my friends or friends of friends knew him either. I was seriously worried about this, more because I was worried what his expectations of me, and of how the night might go, might be. But once I was there it was fine and I actually had a really good night, even if I don't see him again I'm glad I went because now it makes me feel so much more confident about doing that. I'm really shy normally too, but when I was in that situation where you do have to talk, I actually found it really easy, once we got talking we had loads to speak about. So I think you should go for it! So long as it's a public place and you feel safe, why not? have a back-up plan in case it goes badly, but just try make yourself feel more confident by wearing clothes that make you feel good, and by thinking of all the good things about yourself, so that he should feel lucky you're agreeing to meet him! If you are seriously nervous, you could always think of a few topics of conversation to have. Oh and I would say that unless he's going to bring friends on the night out as well, then it's probably best just to meet him on your own, otherwise you won't really get to know each other as well, but that's just my opinion! :smile:
I met everyone in my flat at uni on the internet, and my preconceptions about them all were very accurate! One girl I didn't like the sound of on the internet, and I was right not to. The other 2 seemed like a laugh, and they really are!
I've done it a lot, tis fun.
Reply 10
Normally they are either worrying the same thing or don't really care at all. If you don't act like yourself it'll be awkward, you want the other person to act like themselves, right?
Reply 11
theslightlyweird1
i met someone off the internet a few years ago, it was one of the scariest things I'd ever done, but I think that was only because of the way in which I'd met him...but anyway, I always find it terrifying meeting up with people I don't know well on a one-on-one thing, the other day I went on what i suppose I could call my first proper date, as in it was the first time I went out with someone who I had only met once, and none of my friends or friends of friends knew him either. I was seriously worried about this, more because I was worried what his expectations of me, and of how the night might go, might be. But once I was there it was fine and I actually had a really good night, even if I don't see him again I'm glad I went because now it makes me feel so much more confident about doing that. I'm really shy normally too, but when I was in that situation where you do have to talk, I actually found it really easy, once we got talking we had loads to speak about. So I think you should go for it! So long as it's a public place and you feel safe, why not? have a back-up plan in case it goes badly, but just try make yourself feel more confident by wearing clothes that make you feel good, and by thinking of all the good things about yourself, so that he should feel lucky you're agreeing to meet him! If you are seriously nervous, you could always think of a few topics of conversation to have. Oh and I would say that unless he's going to bring friends on the night out as well, then it's probably best just to meet him on your own, otherwise you won't really get to know each other as well, but that's just my opinion! :smile:

I know what you mean about it being better to meet him alone because then I'd get to know him better, but a big part of what makes me nervous is that he'll find me unattractive & won't like my personality, so meeting him with others first helps because I feel more confident and worry about it less and that way if he wants to meet up again we can do that just the two of us and I won't have to worry about it nearly as much because I'd know he liked me.
Reply 12
Done it a few times.

Did it last Saturday actually, as a date. Mind you, we had talked for near 5 months at this point.

I was very nervous yes, but I'd say only ever do it if you are 100% sure about the person. Or at least as sure as you can be.

I was lucky, it turned out great :o: :smile:
Anonymous
I know what you mean about it being better to meet him alone because then I'd get to know him better, but a big part of what makes me nervous is that he'll find me unattractive & won't like my personality, so meeting him with others first helps because I feel more confident and worry about it less and that way if he wants to meet up again we can do that just the two of us and I won't have to worry about it nearly as much because I'd know he liked me.

Well in that case meet him with some friends, just so long as he knows you're bringing friends so he can decide if he wants to too! Make sure you don't talk to your friends so much he feels like you're ignoring him though! And don't think so negatively, he's probably worrying that you will feel like that about him, so just try to ignore those thoughts!
Reply 14
I kind of have i found out this guy went to my college and now were good friends
also both of my close friends met their boyfriends online and one of them have been together over a year.
I met my bf that way. Was nervous cos i thought i wouldnt meet up to his expectations. I never did anything like that before I always thought my friends who did were desperate but im so glad I did and we have been together a year now. I was so scared when he came to pick me up but thought "whatever if he doesnt like me i dont have to ever see him again" It was awkward for about 5mins and then it was great. Id do it! got nothing to loose! :smile:
Reply 16
Anonymous

Met loads of people online first before I met them in RL, I guess it can be nervous but like anything, if they can't accept you for who you are, it's just like anything else inni?
I'm a YouTuber and have been going to YouTube gatherings for a year and a half. I've never had a bad experience. However with YouTube you can't really fake who you are because there's a face speaking words on the screen. I'm very comfortable with meeting up with YouTube friends once I've got to know them, but I don't know if I'd be so confident if I didn't know EXACTLY who they were before hand.
Reply 18
I've done this a lot - my closest group of friends for the last three years are all off the same forum. We met up for the first time three years ago last october, and provided you're safe with it (meeting in a public place, taking someone/s you trust, telling people where you're going, when you'll be back and how to get hold of you) and make sure that either of you can walk away at any time if you think something's up (they seem who they say they are, but they have a hidden agenda). I'd probably advise against meeting for the first few times if you're going to be drinking a lot - while I'm sure you know what you're doing with regards to him being legit, it's not a risk you want/need to take the first few times, it's not like the world's about to end.

So yeah - go for it if you want to, but don't feel under any sort of pressure, and make sure you do it safely :smile: Have fun!
As long as you stay safe, I don't see why not.
Make sure you know who they say they are (facebook, webcam, talk on the phone etc), and make sure someone knows what your doing. Other than that, have a good time.
I met my girlfriend online, and its probably the best thing thats ever happened to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending