Turn on thread page Beta

how do you feel about the war on iraq??? watch

ReputationRep:
    wen we were kids, most of us were probably taught not to bully each other......not to fight for selfish reasons..........that revenge isn't a gud thing.....etc, etc............. i dont think bush's parents taught him that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    he didnt brutally murder people in afghanistan or iraq, we dont want to kill any civilians

and bush isnt punishing any other country for not backing him....he just feels (and so do i) that people who didnt help to take saddam out shouldnt be making ANy kind of money off this.....

dont get me wrong im a liberal, but im also american and i have to stand up for my country
    you dont have to stand up for your country ......stand up for the truth! isnt that what the american constitution is based on.....liberty, justice....freedom etc. bush has even used the words PUNISH.......and why should he make money either? i thought he only wanted top help the iraqis?????????????

ohhh and on the point of not killing civilians....carpet bombing took place in afghanistan.,......even the red cross building was hit!!!!! i mean a big red cross is hardly saying hey the taliban is here....bomb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    they werent blowing up your bases before the war! if you werent there in the first place no one would be blowing you up!

Iraq had WMD? so does north korea why not bomb them? perhaps Bush is scared of starting a NUCLEAR WAR.

Iraq had a criminal leader? Many other countries do too....so you gonna bomb them all to "liberate" the people.....ie take their oil, give out contracts to ur buddies who backed you up!

how pathetic! dont get me wrong i have nothing against americans...but george bush is just a complete idiot....and his government must think we're stupid!

we dont WANT their oil.....as i said my dad works for an oil company and he has informed me that people holding up signs no war for oil are idiots.....which they are, bcuz we didnt take any frm kuwait in the 1990s and they have natural gas....why would we steal the crudest oil in the world hmmm? bush isnt scared of anything.....and yes we did liberate the people, im sry ur so imbittered about that but its not our fault that all those innocent people are dying weve taken EVERY precaution......yea why would we give contracts to the people who didnt back us up, they didnt spend billions of dollars in support for the war...

peace out
    i have to go back to class
    biatch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    wen we were kids, most of us were probably taught not to bully each other......not to fight for selfish reasons..........that revenge isn't a gud thing.....etc, etc............. i dont think bush's parents taught him that!
    well george bush is still a kid....hes going to punish the naughty people who didnt play with him.....and give lots of money to those who did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    they werent blowing up your bases before the war! if you werent there in the first place no one would be blowing you up!

Iraq had not WMD? so does north korea why bomb them? perhaps Bush is scared of starting a NUCLEAR WAR.

Iraq had a criminal leader? Many other countries do too....so you gonna bomb them all to "liberate" the people.....ie take their oil, give out contracts to ur buddies who backed you up!

how pathetic! dont get me wrong i have nothing against americans...but george bush is just a complete idiot....and his government must think we're stupid!
    i agree with that!
    and lets see who else has got WMD.......erm lets see.....AMERICA!
    if u want the wrong put right, in sum1 else, u've got to get the wrong out of ur'self first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    bush is a texan he grew up with football

of course hes a bully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    we dont WANT their oil.....as i said my dad works for an oil company and he has informed me that people holding up signs no war for oil are idiots.....which they are, bcuz we didnt take any frm kuwait in the 1990s and they have natural gas....why would we steal the crudest oil in the world hmmm? bush isnt scared of anything.....and yes we did liberate the people, im sry ur so imbittered about that but its not our fault that all those innocent people are dying weve taken EVERY precaution......yea why would we give contracts to the people who didnt back us up, they didnt spend billions of dollars in support for the war...

peace out
    i have to go back to class
    biatch
    DONT BE CALLING ME A BIATCH...........learn some manners,,,,,if you're gonna debate it doesnt have to get personal......the only idiots are those who believe that oil isnt a factor in this. no its not americans fault people are dying........its the fault of george bush and co. why should you have the rights to give contracts to anyone?
    its not your country!

oh AND MODS........THIS PERSON IS SWEARING AT ME....ISNT THAT AGAINST THE RULES?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    well george bush is still a kid....hes going to punish the naughty people who didnt play with him.....and give lots of money to those who did!
    lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    Also isnt it funny how Bush is "punishing" countries by nopt giving them contracts in Iraq?? e.g. Canada, France those countries that opposed the war.
    so? why SHOULD they be allowed contracts to rebuild the country? after all their people didnt just risk (and some lose) their lives to free it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    so? why SHOULD they be allowed contracts to rebuild the country? after all their people didnt just risk (and some lose) their lives to free it.
    no im not saying they should be!
    im just saying the way bush says he will punish countries is childish and pathetic. it was just a point i mentioned to show that whatever anyone says bush does gain from thsi war hes not acting selflessly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    no im not saying they should be!
    im just saying the way bush says he will punish countries is childish and pathetic!
    it's like he's sayin, "if u dont do what i say, u'r gonna suffer, cos i'm so tough and powerful, and no-one can go against me!"

ReputationRep:
    I'm still supspending my judgment on this one. The main reason is that I do not know anything about the WMD's.

If there were WMD's that were a thread, then yes the war was justified. In that case, it was better to hit Saddam now than in 10 years when he is a second North-Korea.

If there weren't any WMD's the whole thing gets a bit complicated. In that case, the US & UK would have lied to us. But even that would be justifiable if it was for the greater good.

Here's the crunch point: I think the real reason for the war might have been the fact that the US administration sees "a window of opportunity" for America to spread the doctrine of liberty in the next few years. I don't believe in the oil or human rights arguments. Since the end of the Cold War, America is the only superpower. In about 20 or 30 years, China will be at least as strong as the US. That's inevitable. The only way for the US to survive is to spread the idea on which America was built: Liberty.

One of the best ways to achieve that is to sort out the Middle-East situation. The reasoning behing the Iraq War might have been that that's best done by removing the Baathist regime and putting a relatively democratic and Western-friendly regime in its place.

The question here is: Is that argument valid? Will the Middle-East be helped in the long term by the war. Yet more importantly even, one might ask whether such an approach is justifiable in terms of America's principles. Because if this action is "immoral" according to America's standards of moral, than America has betrayed itself. In that case, America becomes no better than the others, America's cause is not the cause of humanity anymore, and it will therefore eventually go down.

So, those two questions are absolutely crucial for me to evaluate the case for going to war (plus the WMD question of course). What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    it's like he's sayin, "if u dont do what i say, u'r gonna suffer, cos i'm so tough and powerful, and no-one can go against me!"
    exactly! hes like a little kid but dangerous! neways thanx for the interesting debate....im off now, looks liek we won ay?

ReputationRep:
    So, those two questions are absolutely crucial for me to evaluate the case for going to war (plus the WMD question of course). What do you think?[/QUOTE]

i think you're taking a good approach and balancing out arguments well. you might want to read up on the UN docs saying there was no evidence on WMD and the counter dossier by alan simpson i think?
    but congrats for having such an open minded approach to make ur decision!
    cya all later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    exactly! hes like a little kid but dangerous! neways thanx for the interesting debate....im off now, looks liek we won ay?
    Yayyyyy!
    n'ways, C-ya!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    I never supported the reasons that they gave in support the war, the "weapons of mass destruction" etc. However, watching the news about how the iraqis were victimised etc by sadam, I support it under the principle of human rights

however, i totally objected to the anti-war protests which took place once we'd sent people out there. the fact is, you protest before people get sent off to war, and perhaps after they get back, but not while they're out there risking their lives. the lat thing they need out there is to hear on the radio about marches up the mall, the burning of flags and such. a great morale booster that!

one thing though, y is it only the yanks who seem to suffer casualties due to ambushes, and the only ones to injure the iraqi people? from what i understand the brits out there face just as many anti-west attacks, but they manage to escape fairly unscathed. most infact seem to be hit by the US people! its clear who has the better forces!!

or more in higher risk areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    i personally feel that it was completely unnessasary..................... .. they cud have just gone and killed saddam and left the rest of the country alone!
    that wouldnt have solved the problem they were attempting to resolve.

ReputationRep:
    Do you support the war in iraq? What are your reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    i agree even tho its hard to do it the usa could well have planned something instead of destroying the whole country!
    destroying the whole country??

it just makes us think.........what were their true intentions? removing saddam...i think not.
    no,his regime.

....WMD? where are they then??????
    have you not read the interim Iraq Survey Group report?

what does it leave us with?
    a free people that have a chance of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    not being cynical....but is it ok to invade a soveriegn country pre-empitevely......despite not having UN backing?
    yes.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.