The Student Room Group

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec climate or Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXi

I am looking to buy a car and have narrowed it down to two cars; Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec climate or Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXi both 56 number plates with around 20,000 - 30,000 miles for roughly the same price.
Insurance works out the same for both aswell.

Anyone come across any problems with either of these cars or know of any common faults?

Any reccomendations?

Anyone have any experience of buying from car giant in west london?

I have heard the focus has a common problem of water leaking into the footwells and the boot.
Reply 1
Focus is a much better car.
Reply 2
Both great cars, I would have any but if I had choice, the Focus anyday
Reply 3
Focus by a mile. I drive a 1.6 Zetec Climate and its the best car I've ever driven
Reply 4
If it has to be between those two, the Focus is by far the better car - especially in terms of driving experience.
Reply 5
Mate, both are **** cars to be honest.

But i would rather have the Focus that the Astra anyday

Astra parts are rubbish quality and Astra 54 - 06 plate have gearbox problems and clutch.

Plus when you replace these, dont use second hand parts. What ever parts you use. your astra will never be the same.... When Idle the car will sound loaded as it ages quicker.

SOO MANY PROBLEMS MATE...

Focus have mechanical faults too.

HOWEVER BEST BET IS FOCUS.....

I would probably get one for run about soon. But i like my German cars.
Reply 6
I loooove my Focus. Go for the Focus. I think the Astra is a bit chavvy anyhoo.
Reply 7
kent_student_19

Anyone have any experience of buying from car giant in west london?

Don't. Simple answer.

Avoid all car supermarkets like the plague, I'd rather buy a car blindly off ebay than one from one of these places.
Reply 8
Astra H common probs are dodgy handbrake and clutch judder. Mine has both...lol... but I LOVE it, it is great to drive.

Edit - the clutch judder is only when pulling off cold in first btw
Definately Focus :smile:
I've got a mk1 Focus and I drove a 09 Astra coupe for a week as a courtesy car. The Focus is a much better drive IMO. Visibility out the windows in the Astra coupe was shockingly bad, but probably wouldn't be as bad in the SXi.

I've had no issues with reliability either. Focus is practical and a nice car to drive.
Reply 11
Focus any day. Lovely cars, brilliant handling. Only thing with the new ones is that they arnt as easy to fix as older ones. Old models were all nuts and bolts, anyone could take bits off and put new bits on, but the newer ones are different I think.
Reply 12
Focus all the way, I drive a 1.6 LX and it's a fantastic drive. It's a Mk1 mind (the better ones :wink:)
Reply 13
Focuses are great looming and comfortable, but electric windows (passenger side) have failed in 2003 and 2007 models. Never driven an Astra so cant say a word about it.
Reply 14
Original post by Locura
Focuses are great looming and comfortable, but electric windows (passenger side) have failed in 2003 and 2007 models. Never driven an Astra so cant say a word about it.

This thread is from 2009. Keep an eye on post dates in future.

Closing this now.

Latest

Trending

Trending