Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Hey, im stuck on this question.

Im pretty sure A is Propan-2-ol and B is Ethanoic Acid, but can someone confirm this, and what about C

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A has to be a primary alcohol (or it cant be oxidised fully to acids) so has to be propan-1-ol I assume and hence B is propanoic acid. C is is 1(?)-chloropropanoic acid I think.

Step 2 is free radical substitution.

ReputationRep:
    B must be propanoic acid not ethanoic acid
    C would be CH3CH(Cl)COOH or CH2(Cl)CH2COOH
    It's the free radical substitution
    I don't understand the question from C -> D

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks all. ive not come across a Carboxlyic Acid with Chlorine Reaction before - soo do you just apply the alkane + chlorine reaction to that then

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what exam board you're with but if you get a complex organic compound with lots of functional groups, you usually assume they react independently of eachother unless there's a reagent used that you know will react with more than one functional group (e.g. if benzene ring -hot alkalione potassium manganate will oxidise all side chains) which isn't many tbh.

ReputationRep:
    ah ok thanks - edxcel im with.

ReputationRep:
    Is there are question following on from that one asking about D?

As said before, A must be a primary alcohol, so propan-1-ol and is oxidised all the way to propanoic acid in B.

Whenever you have u/v you can pretty much say it's a free-radical reaction (don't know if there are any exceptions). Can't see why it stops when there's only one Cl on there, and I don't know how you know where it will add, so I suppose you can get the mark for either 2-chloropropanoic acid or 3-chloropropanoic acid.

I think what's happening when you make D is first the OH- adds by nucleophilic addition and replaces the chlorine. I think the only reason it's acidified after is to return the proton that will have been removed by the alkali. So D is either 2-hydroxypropanoic acid or 3-hydroxypropanoic acid, depending where you put the chlorine. (If it hadn't been acidified, it would have been 2/3-hydroxypropanoate). Have you got the actual answers?

ReputationRep:
    A is a primary alcohol (propanol...or propan-1-ol to be pedantic),
    B is formed from A using acidified Pot..dichromate..which oxidises the primary alcohol into a carboxylic acid.. (propanoic acid)

B to C is free radical substitution, producing, i think, 2-chloropropanoic acid,
    then the reaction with NaOH..in my opinion would form 2-chloropropanoate and water..ooo..i suppose that would be the reason for the HCl..aha..

so a nucleophilic substitution could occur, substituting the chlorine on the 2nd carbon for the OH- group, forming the product in the question, and the byproduct, salt, (NaCl)..

ReputationRep:
    There isnt any questions that ask about the step C-->D

Although this Question mentions D

Ive worked out the Ka for D. Ka = 8.32 x 10^-3

So would the answer for the last part be something like - Ka for D is higher than Ka for prop.acid. So less enery is needed to dissociate D than prop acid. Therefore more engergy released so D is more exothermic than Propanoic acid.

[nope dont have answers for these am afraid]

ReputationRep:
    How could you get Ka for D like that?

ReputationRep:
    I got a Ka of 8.31 * 10-4

((10-2.04)2) / 0.1

Hm.. next part.. without talking about an inductive effect, the reaction of D with NaOH(aq) will be more exothermic, as it has a larger Ka value than propanoic acid, so will dissociate more easily than propanoic acid, less energy from the neutralisation going into further dissociation.

ReputationRep:
    [H+] = 10^-pH

[H+]^2 / 0.1 I think it is, which comes out to that

ReputationRep:
    i did:

antilog of 2.04 = 9.120x10^-3 = [H+]

Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA]

organic acid with weak(ish) dissociation, so [H+]=[A-]

therefore, Ka=[H+]^2/[HA]

Substitute the numbers in

Ka= (8.317x10^-5)/0.100
    =8.317x10^-4

ReputationRep:
    ok - yeah well still the Ka for D is higher than Ka for Prop Acid,

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that would be right, as the OH group on compound D with draw more negative charge towards it, from the COOH group, weakening the -O-H (acidic) bond, so it is more likely to dissociate.

This is the inductive effect, jus' so's ya know!
    hehe
    J.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.