Turn on thread page Beta

Healthy without meat watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoVet)
    Omega 3: flax seed (oil or ground), rape seed oil, walnuts, tofu
    Omega 6: sunflower oil, corn oil, seeds, nuts, grains, legumes
    I thought you could only get a decent serving of omega 6 in fish, may be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    we are 'designed' to be able to eat anything. We are not carnivores like say a cat. You don't see cats going around eating brocoli, their stomachs can't digest those vegetables properly, if they ate them they wouldn't get all the goodness out of them that we do.
    Well, they eat grass to get all the vitamins they need.
    Oh and why have we evolved a meat eating degistive system if we don't have to eat meat?
    Same goes for some cows, they're digestive system is all about grass not meat. Ours is good for both. Our evolution allows us to digest both plant and meat matter, so we can happily live without meat and get all our dietry needs from plants. It would have made no sense in evolutionary terms to restrict what we can eat back to only plant matter, that would have made surviving so much more difficult. In modern days though it's easy to get everything you need for a healthy diet without having to eat meat - so why eat it if you don't have too?
    Because it is really really tasty and you don't have to rely on pills to get all the susbstances you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamarr)
    I thought you could only get a decent serving of omega 6 in fish, may be wrong though.
    Apparently, vegetarians usually have too much omega 6 in their diet and not enough omega 3.

http://www.ivu.org/wva/Health/BeingVeg_fats.html

ReputationRep:
    of course you can - and it's tastier and cruelty free too!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebs)
    of course you can - and it's tastier and cruelty free too!
    xxx
    Oh no! I'm being cruel to this steak!
    mmmm steak...

ReputationRep:
    went through phase (7 years!) of no meat and just started eating it again. It mucks up ur digestive system wen u start eating meat again but i feel much better now with more protein. If u eat a balanced diet wen ur a veggie u should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a vegetarian for about 4 years but I begun to feel so unwell and tired even though I was doing everything I could to eat properly.I've gone back to eating meat now,even though I hate it I feel so much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamarr)
    But if your going to be taking fish oil, why not eat the fish itself?
    the person was asking sources of omega 3 OTHER THAN fish.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.