Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anyone actually, made a decent amount of money from ebay. I've heard that people have, but only from selling those stupid "how to make money on ebay" guides which are probably complete bull-poo. More to the point, is anyone who has made money willing to share how they did it/obtained the wisdom to do it? maybe the guides do work...im just too stingy to pay £20 and find out!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother with those guides, they seem like a ripoff.

I made about £1500 by buying phones from a large mobile phone network at a good price and then unlocking and selling them on eBay. They've upped their prices and restricted the number of phones each person can buy now though - must have done at least 70 phones over 3 months.

You just have to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage

ReputationRep:
    lol, i just buy rare games, and sell them off a bit later on for much more. For example, i bought a game for £50 which is now worth £300... nice lil profit

ReputationRep:
    i sold a laptop for £300, but i bought it for £100.

ReputationRep:
    I've just sold a whole lot of bits and bats - CDs, books, etc. for about £70.

ReputationRep:
    i bought a couple of pairs of shoes in TK Maxx and sold them for a £15 profit each

£30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    i sold a laptop for £300, but i bought it for £100.
    ohh beat u with my only attempt bought a laptop for £100, turned out to be cr*p, sold for £450
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I sold a few things last summer and made somewhere between £100 and £200. My sisters old start wars books sold well. Most were in very good condition and we sold 3/4 of them together and the made upwards of £10 or £15 per set.

Also my Mums old Mills and Boon books sold well. Many people sell single books on their and they rarely sell, but putting several Mills and Boon book together (themed by authors or types of story etc) and the sold well. I sold several sets of 5 books for about £10 each...not bad money at all from books which would have either stayed gathering dust or been thrown out.

Then there was the CDs I sold...they were the ones you got free in newspapers. We'd built up quite a collecton at home and I thought I'd try to get rid of them. I didn't see anyone else selling any either. So I put then up really low, again themed into similar types of songs or artists and I made a few pounds on each set. (I did add in the description that they were the ones you got free in the newspapers too, so the buyers knew exactly what they were getting.)

ReputationRep:
    £30 for a unwanted Tiffany and Co necklace, tried selling other things like beanie babies but that didn't work!

ReputationRep:
    I bought 14 pairs of sunglasses from my work for £13.50 and sold them for £38.50

ReputationRep:
    I made £10 on ebay by selling a DVD. but i mostly buy things on there.

ReputationRep:
    i've made a few bob selling e-books, but there is so much stuff you can buy from a proper retailer (not a wholesaler) and sell for profit on ebay, it seems many ebay users dont check shops and websites to check the brand new price before they bid on an ebay auction.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    i bought some stuff from online auctions like morganauctions(very cheap electronic stuff), then sold it on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    lol, i just buy rare games, and sell them off a bit later on for much more. For example, i bought a game for £50 which is now worth £300... nice lil profit
    :eek: £300? What game was it?

ReputationRep:
    buy cheap wholesale, sell expensive (high postage, lots of photos)

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I get an upgrade on my phone network, I get the free/cheap one and then sell it for about £150 Then I buy a cr*p phone for moi for £50. Don't need a flashy phone, really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Wouldn't bother with those guides, they seem like a ripoff.

I made about £1500 by buying phones from a large mobile phone network at a good price and then unlocking and selling them on eBay. They've upped their prices and restricted the number of phones each person can buy now though - must have done at least 70 phones over 3 months.

You just have to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage
    did you buy them in batches? or dyu mean you just bought individual locked phones... unlocked them and sold them on?

ReputationRep:
    Individual locked ones but I bought about 5-10 at a time (no discount, they were just selling them at a bargain price). Unlocked them and stuck them on the bay. Sadly they've upped their prices and set a maximum of 3 phones per customer now

They kept blocking my credit cards from their checkout server but I kept using new cards :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    you sound like someone who searches for money making ideas...... well iv got one for you if you pos rep me. That goes for anyone!

ReputationRep:
    Ive only sold 2 stuff on ebay so far, but in both Ive made profits.

Bought a game for £7, played it and finished it, and it got sold in ebay for £15.

Bought one of those racing steering wheels from ebay for £30, played with it, got bored, and it got sold yesterday for £72. I was dead pleased

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.